Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Needles and Security
 Jury duty summons!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  7:32:13 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Grayling: A book and/or magazine is very safe. If you are into cooking bring a couple of foodie magazines and plan menus for future use and make your shopping list. Can't go wrong there. Now about a book, I am finally finishing Martin Cruz Smith's "December 6" which is great. If you don't know his books start with Gorky Park and work on. He had some good Gypsy stories too. Keep us posted on how it goes. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Greyling
Gabber Extraordinaire

579 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  4:43:10 PM  Show Profile Send Greyling a Private Message
Hi Bev,

This is my 4th jury duty summons - I must be getting old - so I am "experienced"!

I practically pack a trunk when I get called: 2 books, 2 mags, 2 projects, newspaper, pen, pencil, paper. [:00] Hey, what if you get stranded?

Will let you know what happens, if anything.

Sharon
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  10:15:07 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Sharon: Can you believe I worked in the courts for what was a lifetime and about half way through got called and was an alternate on a precedent setting case--civil, product liability. Talk about boring. Before working in the courts I had worked for a patent lawyer and I thought I was back. Not only that it lasted at least 12 or 13 weeks, perhaps a week or so longer. When Gene was very ill after I retired I got called for civil and criminal on the same day. That is a physical impossibility in San Francisco as the two courts aren't anywhere close to each other. Got a note, no two notes from his doctor. When he told me I only needed one my comment was, "No, I need one for each section, I know as I spent almost 35 years working in the courts." His comment was, "Oh." Got my two letters. Tee hee. Take care. Beverley [:00]

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Greyling
Gabber Extraordinaire

579 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  1:15:41 PM  Show Profile Send Greyling a Private Message
Well, jury duty came and went. Was not called to a trial, in fact, we were let go before noon. I guess people have been behaving themselves in my neigborhood. (I hope).

Anyway, could bring in my 10" bamboo needles, but not my scissors. I even purchased a pair that were mostly plastic, safe for 5 year olds, and they would not let me take them into the courthouse.

Just thought I'd mention. Have a nice 4th!

Go to Top of Page

Greyling
Gabber Extraordinaire

579 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  1:16:15 PM  Show Profile Send Greyling a Private Message
Well, jury duty came and went. Was not called to a trial, in fact, we were let go before noon. I guess people have been behaving themselves in my neigborhood. (I hope).

Anyway, could bring in my 10" bamboo needles, but not my scissors. I even purchased a pair that were mostly plastic, safe for 5 year olds, and they would not let me take them into the courthouse.

Just thought I'd mention. Have a nice 4th!

Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  12:40:11 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message
Jury duty calls tomorrow. I get summoned every 3 years like clockwork. In NJ, that's the amount of time you're immune from beng called again. I can't find any information online about security policies other than the standard "don't bring anything that could be used as a weapon," but I'll take a couple of projects on non-metallic circular needles, if I can find any, and take them back to the care if necessary.

What's always amazed me about jury duty is the number of people sitting there with nothing to do except stare blindly at the TVs all day. I always come armed with papers to grade, other work, and lots of reading and head for the quieter, more isolated areas with the comfortable seats.

Scissors: My needlepoint shop sells a nifty little plastic device that gets around the scissors problem. It's actually a needle threader, but it's got a razor embedded in one end. The razor is only exposed for a quarter inch in the center, so it should pass security with no problem.

Anne

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

mamid
Permanent Resident

Canada
1568 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  5:40:16 PM  Show Profile  Send mamid a Yahoo! Message Send mamid a Private Message
I've never been called. And I don't think any member of my family has been, not even the american side.

Not that I could serve for the next year or more at the least.

The Last Thread
Go to Top of Page

Fiberjoy
Warming Up

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  8:19:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fiberjoy's Homepage Send Fiberjoy a Private Message
I sat jury on a criminal case just this week. How I managed to be one of the chosen thirteen out of more than a hundred is beyond me. Maybe it was the bright blue yarn I was spinning on my drop spindle before and during the jury selection process. (Never during the trial.)

I took both my turkish spindle, and the start of a sock on a small set of bamboo needles. No questions were asked other than inquires about the spinning from other prospective jurors. With all the down time in the jury room while judge & lawyers hashed out points, I got quite a bit spun and knitted.

Definitely take something to do! There was nothing in the jury room for the others to occupy themselves with - no t.v., books, magazines - just each other, by the third day we were getting to know each other pretty well.

Wanda
----
www.fiberjoy.blogspot.com
www.jenkinswoodworking.com
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  1:50:23 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message
First day of jury duty is over. I got my bamboo flex needles in and was able to get a little knitting done, plus the scut work of rewriting a pattern and winding a couple of skeins into balls. We got out early and I made a quick needle stop at the LYS. She said that one of her customers hadn't been allowed to knit and was afraid they wouldn't give it back to her (must have been confiscated). There must be some variation in security even within the same courthouse here in NJ.

We'll see what happens tomorrow. I have orders to report to a specific court room for possible empanelment.

Anne

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  4:11:48 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Anne: Perhaps the other knitter who frequents the same yarn shop as you was knitting in the court room. Good luck. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  11:41:49 AM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message
Beverley: That's what I'm thinking too.

I just got back from Day 2. 90 plus degrees out, AC in car non-functional and AC spotty in the courthouse.

My jury group was sent home by the judge yesterday and told to be back in his courtroom at 11 this AM. I got my bamboo circulars through security with no problems. The way my bag was packed, they probably didn't even see the yarn. We ended up waiting in a minimally AC'd hall outside the courtroom for an hour and then they sent us for an hour and a half lunch. When we got back, we were dismissed. What would have been a 2 week trial was settled while we were waiting--a plea bargain no doubt.

At any rate, I was pretty discreet about knitting while I was there. I didn't do much while waiting in the hall (except for a row or two when I found a seat at the other end away from the courtroom). When I was in general holding area for jurors, I stayed in a back room where the jury management people were less visible, and I was able to knit there. I don't know what would have happened if an officer of the court had seen the needles, but I didn't want to find out. Knitting in the courtroom, tempting as it was, seemed to be pushing my luck.

Anne

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

KnittAR
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  4:36:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit KnittAR's Homepage Send KnittAR a Private Message
I keep thinking I'm jynxing myself everytime I read a reply to this topic. I don't want to get jury duty!!!!

Later....AR
Come visit my blog
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  7:00:25 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
AR, I'm the opposite; I'd love to do jury duty. Chances of it happening are very slim. Only one person I know has ever been called in and then she was not sleected.

http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  7:09:15 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Mokey: Get picked for an unending product liability case and you would change your mind very fast particularly if it goes on for 12 to 14 weeks. Sometimes they go not that long in weeks but months. Trust me you would be bored. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  7:51:52 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Beverley, in our system technical cases like that tend to be judge only.

http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

KnittAR
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  8:46:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit KnittAR's Homepage Send KnittAR a Private Message
It probably wouldn't be too bad to be called here. Nothing ever happens, and I know everyone, so they'd probably send me home anyway!!

I was joking about the jynx thing, sort of. Oh no, now I'm worried.LOL

Later....AR
Come visit my blog
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  2:00:55 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message
Addendum to my earlier post about knitting in court: another woman at my knitting group last night had a totally different experience. She couldn't even get her wooden needles past security going into the building. So there must be some luck involved as well.

BTW, I've had jury duty 4 times and have never been on an actual jury. I'm always disqualified for cause--too much sh*t has happened to people close to me for me to ever sit on a criminal jury. I've lucked out with the civil side.

This time was also the only time I've ever felt that I accomplished something on jury duty. Before dismissing us, the judge made a big point of telling us how our sitting in the hall rarin' to go put enough pressure on to get the case settled.

Anne

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  6:44:58 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Anne: Have to tell you there was no one more surprised than me when I got picked but was lucky to be an alternate. Not only was I considered a disturber of the highest rank, worked in the courts at the time and had previously worked for a patent lawyer. The case was product liability and you talk about boring. It went for 12 or 14 weeks. You know the saying, "After a week you lose the jury." Trust me its true. The judge and lawyers would go into his chambers and come back 10 or 15 minutes later with the judge saying, "The jury is to disregard the last question (statement)." Whatever. The jury was thinking, what was the last... I knew the judge very well as before I was on that jury we rode the bus together and discussed books, gardening, recipes, you know the good stuff. While on that jury we might be on the same bus but never sat together and if we even said hello I can't recall. There would have been an immediate mistrial.

Now about the wooden needles not being let through--must have a terrific system. Perhaps they went through the bag looking for something else they saw and found the needles. Either that or they have the world's best X-ray system for such things.

Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  6:59:04 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Mokey: Just a different system. You can rant and rave on forever or so it would seem but it won't change ours. You like yours in your country and we like ours. Not sure you are right and we are wrong. Who is to say--not you or me, that is for sure. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

tercat
New Pal

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  2:28:19 PM  Show Profile Send tercat a Private Message
When I had jury duty I had to leave all of my knitting supplies in my car--they wouldn't even let me take them inside the courthouse. It sure would have been nice to have them, as I ended up waiting about 4 hours in an empty room with nothing to do while the lawyers in the case worked out a settlement.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?