Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 knitting to help combat pain
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

croneangel
New Pal

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2006 :  06:33:38 AM  Show Profile Send croneangel a Private Message
being disabled and a pensioner just i find it keeps me sane and keeps my mind off the pain

pjkite
Permanent Resident

1198 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2006 :  07:37:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit pjkite's Homepage  Send pjkite a Yahoo! Message Send pjkite a Private Message
I know exactly what you mean. I have various arthritis-related problems, and will pick up the needles or a drop-spindle when the pain gets bad. It's a distraction, and it's soothing, and it helps my muscles relax a bit. Anything that lessens the amount of pain meds is a plus, both for my stomach and my mind! Unfortunately nothing else is helping today - blowing and sleeting (!) outside, and everything aches!

Pamela Kite
East Tennessee
http://fiberlife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2209 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2006 :  07:44:19 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
I know it certainly seems to help, both with physical and emotional pain.

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

DeAnn
Seriously Hooked

USA
831 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2006 :  08:20:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit DeAnn's Homepage Send DeAnn a Private Message
Whenever I'm stressed, I head straight for the knitting and I immediately calm down. It's like being in another world---away from the pain and irritation.

DeAnn
Ms.D's Knitting Knotebook

When the chips are down.....
The Buffalo is empty.
Go to Top of Page

suecq
Chatty Knitter

USA
205 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2006 :  08:25:47 AM  Show Profile Send suecq a Private Message
I find knitting not only helps with physical pain, but mental anguish as well. When I have something that is really bothering me and I just can't get it out of mind I find the most complicated lace knitting project I can and tackle it.
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2006 :  09:20:42 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Now you know the secret as to why most of my knitting is done at night.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

RoseM
Permanent Resident

Canada
1898 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2006 :  11:07:35 AM  Show Profile Send RoseM a Private Message
Helps me too with physical pain and emotional stress. Pick up the needles, put on some good music, even just pulling out a few pattern books . . . it does help.
RoseM
Go to Top of Page

blackramfarm
Warming Up

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  3:50:25 PM  Show Profile Send blackramfarm a Private Message
I have been living with Lupus and a nasty little disease called intersitial cystitis. When my body crashes or is in pain, sometimes the only thing I can do is knit. Knitting allows me to feel less "disabled" and allows me to work through the pain, row by row. When the pain is really bad and I can't sit up, I will have knitting projects on the bed. Last spring I needed to have surgery for the IC and a neighbor came by to help out and keep me company. She was a new knitter and asked if she could bring her knitting with her and of course I thought it was a great plan. There I was giving a mini lesson while in bed. For the time we were knitting and learning together I focused more on what I could still do, not what I was unable to do.
Go to Top of Page

knittyref
Chatty Knitter

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  11:42:54 PM  Show Profile Send knittyref a Private Message
If I'm feeling queasy from chemo and "just sit", that minute hand seems to almost stop. Unless I'm feeling really bad, just having the knitting in my lap and knitting a stitch and and a stitch there definitely helps the time pass. In the last 3 1/2 years, I've got a llllooootttt of knitting done.

Di
www.knittyref.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sachis2112
Warming Up

54 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2006 :  01:26:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit sachis2112's Homepage Send sachis2112 a Private Message
My DH has mystery nueralgia. I threatened to teach him how to knit last week. I think that I will in all seriousness now that I've read your posts. Thanks!

-Sachi
http://sachis2112.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Beverly the Bronx Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  11:35:33 AM  Show Profile Send Beverly the Bronx Girl a Private Message
After a long day at work, it's great to put on the classical music (WQXR 96.3 in New York City)and do a hour or two of knitting. it really does wonders for the physical, mental and spiritual. What ever works for you, do it.
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  3:26:30 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I also recommend keeping a variety of projects at hand. Sometimes it helps to knit something that requires concentration, sometimes all I can do is a garter stitch wash cloth. What I find that I cannot do is to start a project when I am in pain.

There are several of us "living with lupus" here on the forums blackramfarm,welcome.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lisamanteo1
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  12:25:27 PM  Show Profile Send lisamanteo1 a Private Message
I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia last year and learned to knit to give me something constructive to do when I was having a "bad day" and had to sit or lay down. Now I have the prospect of a hip replacement this summer so I am stocking up on all sorts of projects! Knitting is my best therapy
Go to Top of Page

catldy430
New Pal

31 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2006 :  09:30:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit catldy430's Homepage Send catldy430 a Private Message
I've had degenerative disc disease and sciatica from an injury for six years, needlework of some kind whether it be knitting, crochet or cross stitch helps take my mind of the pain.

I also have been suffering from some mystery illness and have bouts of extreme fatigue, neuralgia and muscle weakness. When it's at its worse it's so hard to concentrate on anything. I do force myself to work on some of project to distract myself.

There is a feeling of accomplishment when you're feeling to crappy to accomplish much else.

Denise
http://knittingkitties.blogspot.com/
Never be afraid to try something new,
Remember,
amateurs built the ark
experts built the Titanic
Go to Top of Page

RatherBknitting
Chatty Knitter

213 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2006 :  12:33:53 PM  Show Profile Send RatherBknitting a Private Message
I knit because hate my job -- but you all give me inspiration to stop feeling sorry for myself and move on.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.67 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe