Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 The Curse of the Love Sweater?
 I should have known better
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jennaknits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  2:40:50 PM  Show Profile Send jennaknits a Private Message
I knew this wasn't going to end well for me.

I made my ex-boyfriend a hat back when we were dating. Things hadn't been especially super between us for a while, but hey, excuse to knit a hat. He wanted 3 yarns held together, the three Christmas colors. We went to a shop together, he picked out the $21 worth of yarn I needed, and he paid for the DPNs. It took me two days, and was a lovely hat. A bit big, but a decent hat nonetheless.

It didn't get worn. In fact, it often got left on the filthy floor of his room under the futon, in a pile of dust, and once, with a spider walking on it. I'd plead, when are you going to wear the hat I made you, and he'd always insist it was too warm. We live in NH. There's rarely such a thing. Even near Christmas, it never saw the light or the outside world. We broke up in early December, and I asked if he didn't want the hat anymore. He had a new girlfriend who I had taught to knit, holding her hand through the whole process, and I told him if he didn't want something by another knitter around, I'd take it back and reuse the yarn. Oh no, he still loved the hat and was sad at the idea of parting with it.

Then last night, I saw him in a new knitted hat that matches his winter coat. Despite it being March and warmer than it was in October, November, December...

I hate to say it, but it's as close I had been to crying since we broke up. I felt rejected as a knitter. I had coped with feeling rejected as a girlfriend, a woman, a friend, a person (and to think, I broke up with HIM!), but as a knitter? OH HELL NO. That was too much of a hurt. Am I weird for being more hurt by that than anything he'd done to me in a long time? Somehow, I think you all understand me...

http://knitdiva.blogspot.com/

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  2:48:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
Well....I would more offended by being rejected for being ME not for my knitting. But whatever floats your anger boat...

Amanda,
who
Knits

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5189 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  2:50:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message
Oh, what a jerk. I'm so sorry. At least you learned that he wasn't going to give you and your art the respect you deserve without knitting something huge.

Support our Yarniversal charities: http://www.cafepress.com/yarniversalcult
http://crazylanea.typepad.com/
http://www.crazylanea.typepad.com/eating_poetry/
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  3:00:35 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
He got the hat, you have your life. Move on. Take the time you spent with him and use it on yourself.

http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

susiknits
Permanent Resident

USA
1060 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  5:52:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit susiknits's Homepage  Send susiknits a Yahoo! Message Send susiknits a Private Message
You will certainly find better, and you certainly deserve it. Chalk it up to a bad boyfriend gone badder, and move on.
He certainly doesn't deserve YOU! Anyone who will knit, on command, a three-strand hat, deserves a LOT better!
-- susi

--That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Go to Top of Page

counterculture
Gabber Extraordinaire

453 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  07:51:08 AM  Show Profile Send counterculture a Private Message
Oh, I always chaulk these incidents up to "signs I wasn't paying attention to" Yup! They are there, right in front of us.

Still, it's personal and it's painful, but best to learn from these experiences and better luck next time. Oh, and thank your lucky stars that you didn't knit him a sweater!! Hey, two days...it was a gift -- once we give a gift, it belongs to the receiptant...
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3290 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  08:34:28 AM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi Jenna,

I would be very tempted to send back the DPN's he paid for with the suggestion of bending over and shoving them up his arse.

I just saw your photo, you are an incredibly good looking young lady, you will have lots of guys flocking around you.

I would be offended that he didn't like me, not my knitting.

At least he should be happy now he has a girlfriend who will knit on command for him.

Cheer up and remember onwards and upwards.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia
Go to Top of Page

desi_knitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

507 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  10:07:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit desi_knitter's Homepage Send desi_knitter a Private Message
I like Ozknitter's suggestion!

Visit my new blog:
http://desiknitter.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

knit_chick
Permanent Resident

1484 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  10:17:10 AM  Show Profile Send knit_chick a Private Message
He's a jerk and you're free of him. Enjoy your life and your new found free time.

http://knitchick.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

ScubaQueen
Seriously Hooked

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  10:47:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit ScubaQueen's Homepage Send ScubaQueen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by jennaknits

He had a new girlfriend who I had taught to knit, holding her hand through the whole process,

Did you teach her after you broke up?

quote:
Originally posted by jennaknits

I told him if he didn't want something by another knitter around, I'd take it back and reuse the yarn. Oh no, he still loved the hat and was sad at the idea of parting with it.

Translated that means he is still sad about parting with YOU!

~Wendy

Somewhere in Texas there's a village missing its idiot!
... My Knitting Blog.... My Other Nonsense
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  2:00:35 PM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
Jenna- As Rose stated, you are indeed a "hottie"! Chalk this up to "better now than later".

Leave the hat-let it be a reminder of what he has lost and missing- and believe me, he will think about that! KL
Go to Top of Page

jennaknits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  3:27:32 PM  Show Profile Send jennaknits a Private Message
Awww, thanks. I'm long since moved on (to someone who appreciates my knitting!), but I always felt a little rejected as a knitter that he'd never wear that darned hat. And I'm not trying to "float my anger boat," it just so happens he and I live in the same dorm (oh college) and as such, I happen to notice all of these stupid little things. It sucks, but I've done quite well with it.

http://knitdiva.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3290 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2006 :  9:21:06 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi Jenna,

I knew you would find somebody soon, as you are as somebody put it a total "hottie", I showed my son (he's 16) a photo of you and he said "do you know her, what about an introduction". He was quite crushed when I told him you lived overseas.

Just as well you didn't take up my suggestion with the DPN's as you now have somebody that loves and appreciates you and your knitting.

Good luck in the future.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by