Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Rowan's Summer Tweed
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

WGWC

Posted - 05/12/2003 :  9:22:29 PM  Show Profile Send WGWC a Private Message
Hello everyone!
I am new to the knitting world as well as this board. I just found summer tweed and I love the look of the colors and the smell and feel of the yarn. I want to make a spring/summer top for me and something coorodinatiing for my girls (twin girls almost 3). I purchaced the yarn, looked for a pattern for the girls and found the perfect one. THEN I noticed that the pattern for the girls called for a size 3 needle. Fine I thought and bought the size three needle (does anyone see a problem yet [ :( ] because being a novice, I did not. Well I just got it all home and just now decided to reed the summer tweed label. It sais a gage that matches the pattern that I want...but it does not match the pattern for the girls. AHHHHH!!!! NOw the big question. DOes anyone know of a good book ( or a free pattern ) that would have something cute and springy/summery for little girls? I found a cute skirt with a bib attachment (size 3 needles on cotton yarn) and a cute jumper ( I have no earthly idea of the gage). Please please help me before I go nuts and either ruin a perfectly good idea, or just return it all to the store and try something normal...like cotton. THanks so much!

WGWC
Go to Top of Page

WGWC

Hello everyone!
I am new to the knitting world as well as this board. I just found summer tweed and I love the look of the colors and the smell and feel of the yarn. I want to make a spring/summer top for me and something coorodinatiing for my girls (twin girls almost 3). I purchaced the yarn, looked for a pattern for the girls and found the perfect one. THEN I noticed that the pattern for the girls called for a size 3 needle. Fine I thought and bought the size three needle (does anyone see a problem yet [ :( ] because being a novice, I did not. Well I just got it all home and just now decided to reed the summer tweed label. It sais a gage that matches the pattern that I want...but it does not match the pattern for the girls. AHHHHH!!!! NOw the big question. DOes anyone know of a good book ( or a free pattern ) that would have something cute and springy/summery for little girls? I found a cute skirt with a bib attachment (size 3 needles on cotton yarn) and a cute jumper ( I have no earthly idea of the gage). Please please help me before I go nuts and either ruin a perfectly good idea, or just return it all to the store and try something normal...like cotton. THanks so much!

WGWC
Go to Top of Page

WGWC

Hello everyone!

WGWC
Go to Top of Page

Laura Ver
Seriously Hooked

656 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  8:31:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Laura Ver's Homepage Send Laura Ver a Private Message
Oh no! I am not a novice knitter by a long shot and I still make this kind of mistakes occasionally, so don't feel bad, please! Besides the Cotton Tweed is going to be perfect for the sweater you want to make for yourself. Maybe you could start with that. Make sure to knit a gauge swatch with it. The label recommended size 8 but I had to go down to needle size 7 or even 6 to get a knitted fabric that worked for me and didn't feel too loose. You have to see what works for you.
Once you have established what your gauge is with Summer Tweed,use that info to check pattern books for patterns for your daughters that 1. you like and 2. use the same gauge. It is easier if you have access to a yarn store, obviously. Debbie Bliss, Sirdar yarns,Anny Blatt (French company) all have nice patterns for children. It doesn't matter if they recommend their own yarns as long as their patterns call for a gauge and needle size in the same ballpark as yours with Summer Tweed.
Another good source to check for patterns is Family Circle Easy Knitting. They seem to have a decent selection of patterns for young children.
BTW I have girl twins too, but they are almost teenagers and have very finicky ideas about which yarn and patterns I should use for them -- so enjoy these early years when *you* get to decide!

Laura
Go to Top of Page

Laura Ver
Seriously Hooked

656 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  8:31:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Laura Ver's Homepage Send Laura Ver a Private Message
Oh no! I am not a novice knitter by a long shot and I still make this kind of mistakes occasionally, so don't feel bad, please! Besides the Cotton Tweed is going to be perfect for the sweater you want to make for yourself. Maybe you could start with that. Make sure to knit a gauge swatch with it. The label recommended size 8 but I had to go down to needle size 7 or even 6 to get a knitted fabric that worked for me and didn't feel too loose. You have to see what works for you.
Once you have established what your gauge is with Summer Tweed,use that info to check pattern books for patterns for your daughters that 1. you like and 2. use the same gauge. It is easier if you have access to a yarn store, obviously. Debbie Bliss, Sirdar yarns,Anny Blatt (French company) all have nice patterns for children. It doesn't matter if they recommend their own yarns as long as their patterns call for a gauge and needle size in the same ballpark as yours with Summer Tweed.
Another good source to check for patterns is Family Circle Easy Knitting. They seem to have a decent selection of patterns for young children.
BTW I have girl twins too, but they are almost teenagers and have very finicky ideas about which yarn and patterns I should use for them -- so enjoy these early years when *you* get to decide!

Laura
Go to Top of Page

Laura Ver
Seriously Hooked

656 Posts

Laura
Go to Top of Page

PurlyGirlie
Chatty Knitter

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  06:30:18 AM  Show Profile Send PurlyGirlie a Private Message
Here's a slightly different question for all of you who've finished a Summer Tweed garment. Did you do your seaming with it? It's so nubby and all; it seems like the sewing would be rough going.

Sarah

Go to Top of Page

PurlyGirlie
Chatty Knitter

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  06:30:18 AM  Show Profile Send PurlyGirlie a Private Message
Here's a slightly different question for all of you who've finished a Summer Tweed garment. Did you do your seaming with it? It's so nubby and all; it seems like the sewing would be rough going.

Sarah

Go to Top of Page

PurlyGirlie
Chatty Knitter

USA
214 Posts

Sarah

Go to Top of Page

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2003 :  05:57:35 AM  Show Profile Send happyneedles a Private Message
I did sew up my Summer Tweed with the same yarn - I used a size 13 sewing needle. There were no problems.

Go to Top of Page

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2003 :  05:57:35 AM  Show Profile Send happyneedles a Private Message
I did sew up my Summer Tweed with the same yarn - I used a size 13 sewing needle. There were no problems.

Go to Top of Page

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2003 :  06:37:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
I want to second the comment about black dyes. I'm using black Rowan cotton glace for a pair of tiger stripe baby booties, and it is bleeding horribly all over my needles. I didn't even think to prewash it, and would have thought better of Rowan. Black is just difficult, no matter what. Anyway, my bamboo needles are ruined and I'm irritated with the project, so I don't know what I'm going to do with it.

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2003 :  06:37:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
I want to second the comment about black dyes. I'm using black Rowan cotton glace for a pair of tiger stripe baby booties, and it is bleeding horribly all over my needles. I didn't even think to prewash it, and would have thought better of Rowan. Black is just difficult, no matter what. Anyway, my bamboo needles are ruined and I'm irritated with the project, so I don't know what I'm going to do with it.

Kristin
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.