Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Current Projects?
 mermaid mesh
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chamachick
Warming Up

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2006 :  6:30:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit chamachick's Homepage Send chamachick a Private Message
Has anyone made this?

http://www.interweave.com/knit/TSC/mermaid_maid.asp

It is next on my list of things to do, but I am a little intimidated by the mesh pattern. I am thinking of using Knitpicks "Shine" worsted weight in a blue shade.

I would love any advice, encouragement or warnings!
[meow]
thanks,

m

NaProus
Permanent Resident

1828 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2006 :  7:00:06 PM  Show Profile Send NaProus a Private Message
I'm having a hard time telling from the picture, but if the stitch pattern is the same as Barbara Walker's Mermaid Mesh, I had a hard time with it on a sampler scarf. I still don't know why! I'm determined to come back to it someday, though, because I really do love the way the fabric looks...

What's a leper bandage? http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/bandages.html
http://www.ghm.org/resources/hands-on/knittedbandage.html
Go to Top of Page

meknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  08:37:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit meknits's Homepage Send meknits a Private Message
I looked up Mermaid's mesh in Barbara Walker(Vol. 2) and it looks like the same pattern. What a pretty sweater--here in Austin Tx we need all the air conditioning we can get! I've downloaded the pattern and am going to work up a swatch.

I would definitely take to heart the note that says the piece will grow by 10%, if not more. Keep that in mind for the sleeves. Also, I'd think about adding a crochet edge on the neckline for added stability and strength. Good luck! Now, I get to prowl through my stash.

http://marymqc.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3461 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  08:56:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message
chamachick, I starting knitting this sweater in Tahki cotton classic but 3/4 of the way on the back, I realized that I hated the yarn and that I would probably never wear this thing (even if I finished it) because the whole thing was very heavy. I will probably try it again with another (lighter) yarn :)

Don't be intimidated by the mesh pattern! Use plenty of stitch markers and lifelines and once you're through the first repeat, the pattern will emerge and you will be able to "read" the stitches and see if you made any mistakes in the previous row.

Let us know how you're doing!

--Minh
Go to Top of Page

chamachick
Warming Up

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  3:36:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit chamachick's Homepage Send chamachick a Private Message
thanks for the feedback

I am hoping that the "shine" will not be too heavy - we will see. I am also thinking of doing some shaping, so that it tapers in above the waist. I don't think there is a pattern out there that I have knit exactly the way it is written. more fun that way, I guess. I will keep y'all posted.

m
Go to Top of Page

KMangum
Chatty Knitter

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  7:05:01 PM  Show Profile Send KMangum a Private Message
I've seen this Mermaid Mesh (different project) made up in a lightweight tape yarn and it was lovely. I don't think you need to use the suggested yarn.

Shine is lighter weight than pure cotton; I liked the smoothness of the yarn when I knit with it last year. It washed well (machine wash/dry) too.

KM
Go to Top of Page

KMangum
Chatty Knitter

USA
103 Posts

I've seen this Mermaid Mesh (different project) made up in a lightweight tape yarn and it was lovely. I don't think you need to use the suggested yarn.

Shine is lighter weight than pure cotton; I liked the smoothness of the yarn when I knit with it last year. It washed well (machine wash/dry) too.

KM
Go to Top of Page

KMangum
Chatty Knitter

USA
103 Posts

KM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?