Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Worst Project Nightmare
 Ever trashed a project?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3290 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  12:13:15 AM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi Mary,

I don't very often do my block but when I do.

Lookout!!!

That's why everybody was creeping about, they'd never seen me do anything like that before, especially with precious wool.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

Chemcats
Permanent Resident

3337 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  04:35:47 AM  Show Profile Send Chemcats a Private Message
Love this thread! Good laugh.

Yep. A couple of times I have stuffed and dumped. The first, and most satisfying was a crocheted afghan done in boucle with double thread. Gorgeous colors, but after frogging three times when about 2 feet into it, there was no more frogging. I waited until husband had left for the day and stuffed it.

Same treatment came to a scarf I was doing for Christmas. Loved the yarn at first, then hated the colors, texture, etc. I just hated looking at it. Gone!

Boy, thinking back..it sure felt good.
Go to Top of Page

franna724
Seriously Hooked

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  10:15:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit franna724's Homepage Send franna724 a Private Message
I was nearly through with a cabled glove I was making on size 2 needles for my husband. It was too small for him, but it fit me. However, I don't know what I was thinking when I decided to toss it in the trash instead of frogging the yarn. I just didn't have the energy to do all that ripping...and I didn't have the heart to put one more thing in the bag of projects I know will probably never be finished.
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  7:06:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
Trashed, no. I did have one project, though. . . (shudder). I was using a very, very slippery polyester ladder yarn on size 13 needles. The right hand needle kept falling out of the stitches when I would go to throw the yarn. One stitch would drop and take the whole row with it. Couldn't get the needle back in; at least, not so that it was on a single row. After knitting and frogging and reknitting and frogging again many times, I finally gave the yarn to a crocheting co-worker who coveted it. Oddly enough, I don't think she made anything out of it yet, and it's been at least a year. . .

--Susan T-O in Long Beach CA

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the
most discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny.'" --Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

blackramfarm
Warming Up

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  7:18:03 PM  Show Profile Send blackramfarm a Private Message
gosh, I toss out half finished projects all the time. If the project hasn't been touched in over a year and the yarn is not great for recycling or the project has terrible memories assoicated with it, then if in doubt toss it out! Best toss and recovery: started a shawl, sat for a while, but in a bag for trash day, husband grabbed it thinking it was a mistake, frogged the whole thing, made a terrific sweater for the husband...and now I take the sweater and wear it when his is not looking.
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  7:47:33 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Alexandra I loved your story.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

yarnyamy
Gabber Extraordinaire

562 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  04:20:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit yarnyamy's Homepage Send yarnyamy a Private Message
Oh yes, plenty of times. I know you're supposed to frog it and use the yarn for something els, but when I'm furious with a project, the last thing I want to do is sit there and pull it all out and wind it all back up. In the trash!!!
Go to Top of Page

liberryqueen
Chatty Knitter

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  11:02:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit liberryqueen's Homepage Send liberryqueen a Private Message
I have a confession.

Before I threw that evil project in the trash...I picked up a pair of scissors and had a nice bloody go at it. Then I threw the holy mess in the trash.

Although...I don't change the office trash that often and I'm still thinking about recovering it and using it as "Spanish moss" in a knitted wall hanging...when I spontaneously get the talent to do such a thing, of course.

this librarian knits... (updated 3/25/06)
Go to Top of Page

meknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  09:08:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit meknits's Homepage Send meknits a Private Message
I just trashed 3 projects yesterday that had been languishing for years. I was doing a post-Flash clean up and decided that's IT, time to say sayonara. A baby blue poncho for a teenager in another state(I no longer work with the mom or live there), E.Zimmerman's baby surprise jacket w/chenille(the kid's in 1st grade, Peter Pan yarn that I detested) and another so-so baby cardigan on size 3 needles that I really need for socks.

I feel great, like some tentacle yarnchain has been cut. AND I'm giving a huge Rubbermaid box full of reject yarns to charity. I have bought some sock yarn in the meantime, so let's call this 'Binge and Purge!'

http://marymqc.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MargaritaMama
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  09:40:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit MargaritaMama's Homepage Send MargaritaMama a Private Message
Though I don't do it often, I find throwing away a stubborn, refusing-to-work-out-right project to be very empowering.

In fact, I have a 3-6 month sized jumper, started for my son when I was 3 months pregnant...he's now 20 months old. I think the time is ripe for that one to say hello to the trash bin! I would never use the yarn for any other project (bought it b/c it was on sale). In fact, I pretty much hate the colors. In fact, why did I ever buy it or start it? I'll chalk it up to hormone-induced idiocy.

Top of the stash closet, pathetically wrapped in an old plastic Safeway bag. Go, get thee gone, thou false deluding project!

.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.
Some things are of that nature as to make
One's fancy chuckle, while his heart doth ache.

tabtabtab-John Bunyan
._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-.
Go to Top of Page

sandyb
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  8:27:17 PM  Show Profile Send sandyb a Private Message
I have only thrown one project in the trash .... and believe me, it was very liberating. I finally realized that I knit because I love it. It isn't a chore that I have to do, it is a treat for me that I look forward to doing. Something may look fun to do, but if in reality it isn't; it is a very adult way of accepting that it just wasn't for me!
On another note, I have disliked a couple of projects and given the entire partially finished project, directions and yarn to Goodwill (also left me with a really good feeling)
Go to Top of Page

kaythearky
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  9:29:48 PM  Show Profile Send kaythearky a Private Message
The older I get, the easier it is to get rid of things (including knitting projects) that don't work, or don't fit, or I never liked much in the first place, or didn't turn out the way I thought they would, or were just plain WRONG for some reason. I don't know how many I've dumped -- five or six maybe -- I don't keep track. The latest was a pair of "Jaywalker" socks -- a knitalong group was doing them; they didn't fit right, they felt stiff, I redid them a couple of times and then figured that was enough. On to the Mock Crock Socks from Knitpicks... which are a joy! When I was younger I felt like a moral failure to admit to these feelings, much less act on them; but more and more I feel liberated by getting rid of something that's not working no matter how hard I try. Look back over the comments in this section -- how many people mentioned how good it felt to get rid of a not-working project!
Go to Top of Page

katitude1
New Pal

Australia
17 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  10:09:51 PM  Show Profile Send katitude1 a Private Message
This topic is so timely for me! I have a nearly completed cable sweater which I started perhaps 2 years ago for my niece. I had to rip and reknit several times because of guage problems. Even if completed, the sweater would no longer fit my niece and I can't bear the thought of ripping and reknitting again. I've been eyeing that frustrating pile of cables the past few weeks with secret thoughts of the trash bin, but kept feeling guilty about throwing away the yarn, although even if I did go through the trouble of frogging, skeining, washing, etc, I know that I NEVER want to see that yarn again! Thanks to everyone who has responded to this topic - I feel freed! I am going to throw that mess away immediately and never look back. Now to work up the guts to throw out the Addi Turbo 5.5mm needle with the cracked cable that, despite a go with the nail buffer, still snags when used!

kat
an American knitter living in Australia
Go to Top of Page

pamulla@earthlink.net
Chatty Knitter

100 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  01:40:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit pamulla@earthlink.net's Homepage Send pamulla@earthlink.net a Private Message
Several hit the barrel:
kid's sweater that they all outgrew before it was done.
then there is the "what was I thinking" yarn: some Missoni I bought in Italy. I tried everything I could to come up with a project for it but it was a dud. It was a little slubby so it wouldn't even work on the knitting machine
I bought some Noro half-off (wonder why) Varigated green some kind of silk and I made my daughter a shrug which she didn't like and had yarn left over. Everything is going to Goodwill including the shrug![:00]
I agree: life is too short to waste hobby time on stuff that you hate. I have too many things I want to do and not enough time to do them

Go to Top of Page

scarfitup
Chatty Knitter

191 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  03:44:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit scarfitup's Homepage Send scarfitup a Private Message
I made yet another felted bag from my favorite pattern (I sell them). All of the previous ones were adorable and some have sold as quickly as I made them - or were bought right off my body! So.....I tried a new color scheme. The base was an oatmeal color (and I DO like oatmeal a lot!), but what was I thinking when I added BROWN eyelash? I had strange vibes about this bag from the start, but I proceeded to finish it, felt it, and pray that it turned into something saleable or at least wearable. It clearly wasn't either!

So....I made a deal with the readers of my weekly newletter. I held a "Name the Bag" Contest, and whoever came up with the best descriptive name for it got to keep it. What a riot! Some of the names are quite unprintable, but others were "Hairball" (like something the cat threw up!) or "Bird's Nest" and they just got (MUCH) worse from there! But amazingly, one of my friends WANTED it! She has been a very good customer, so I gladly offered it up to her. Never again will I invest so much time and effort (and $$$) to a project that I have a hunch about up front. Grim but funny lesson learned!

Oh yes, there have been other scarves too ugly to sell - or that have not sold for far too long. If I can't rip them out easily, then they go into the donation bag. I agree with Pamela who just said:
Life is too short to waste hobby time on stuff that you hate. I have too many things I want to do and not enough time to do them.

Louise
http://scarfitup.etsy.com
http://creativewilmington.com

Scarf It Up!
Wearable Fiber Arts
Blue Moon Showcase
Wilmington NC
http://scarfitup.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

pjkite
Permanent Resident

1198 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  05:16:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit pjkite's Homepage  Send pjkite a Yahoo! Message Send pjkite a Private Message
Thanks, everyone! This link came just in time to help me decide to trash a project I completed last year. Lovely spinning job, beautiful yarn, nice pattern...but it just didn't work out! I had it lying across my chest in the bedroom, waiting for me to try to salvage the yarn and dreading the prospect. After reading some of your posts, I got it down, tried to ravel it out, discovered I couldn't, and simply trashed the entire top! I feel so much better!

Pamela Kite
East Tennessee
http://fiberlife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

carol.durdin@gmail.com

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  05:55:22 AM  Show Profile Send carol.durdin@gmail.com a Private Message
Not only have I thrown out a project or two that were making me crazy, I have thrown out things I have received in exchanges. I can't imagine what these people were thinking but I didn't bat an eye when I threw these things in the trash.

Kept the needles and hooks. I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid.
Go to Top of Page

boxrluvr2@hotmail.com
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  05:58:42 AM  Show Profile Send boxrluvr2@hotmail.com a Private Message
I just did this last month in fact. I had fallen out of love with a sweater and discovered that I also had knitted 2 inches more than I needed. I couldnt bring myself to throw the yarn away but I did rip it off my needles lightning fast and list the yarn on eBay within 5 minutes. It was such a sense of relief that I suggest it to all knitters. LOL

PS The money I got for the yarn was used to feed the yarn addiction and buy yarn for my latest sweater. Yes I know its April.
Go to Top of Page

robkon@bellsouth.net
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  06:09:49 AM  Show Profile Send robkon@bellsouth.net a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Momma78239

I donated the needles with the sweater for two reasons. 1) In case the eventual donat-ee wanted to actually finish the d*** thing, and 2) because they were part of a Denise set that I HATED. And yes, I was nice enough to throw the whole set in the bag.

-WendyM[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/smallspindlepic.gif[/IMG]
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25

Go to Top of Page

princess76
New Pal

11 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  06:47:31 AM  Show Profile Send princess76 a Private Message
I threw away a poncho I made out of cheap acrylic/nylon yarn. I tried to frog it, but it was too stubborn. Now that I've discovered quality yarns, I don't want to wear acrylic anymore.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?