Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Worst Project Nightmare
 Ever trashed a project?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Kiki585
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  07:47:21 AM  Show Profile Send Kiki585 a Private Message
Gee I was relieved to hear some knitters throw out difficult projects. I thought I would be frowned upon by the whole knitting world for doing that. First of all I can frog ok but if I rip out I don't know how to put the yarn loops back on the needles. I'm fairly new to knitting. Ripping out in crochet is much easier. Also, I was sorry to hear about the Denise needles because I just bought a set! OH NO! Why didn't you like them? I made a baby set with ripply boucle and find it hard to even sew up seams.
Go to Top of Page

ArtemisImaging
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  08:11:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit ArtemisImaging's Homepage Send ArtemisImaging a Private Message
I have indeed pitched a project! Only once, but it was such a poorly written pattern, and the yarn it called for was junk, so I decided I loved the baby too much to make it for him and threw it away! LOL

Diana
Crafter's gear at www.artemisimaging.com
Go to Top of Page

jazzbird
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  08:13:05 AM  Show Profile Send jazzbird a Private Message
I worked on a two-color, three-cable sweater for my mom. Then she up and died on me. I took it out on the sweater and threw it right in the trash.

jazzbird
Go to Top of Page

JoJo3855
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  08:40:48 AM  Show Profile Send JoJo3855 a Private Message
Go to Top of Page

JoJo3855
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  08:45:16 AM  Show Profile Send JoJo3855 a Private Message

To Princess76 ~ Your reply hit home with me, my first sweater for myself after taking lessons was in a cheap multicolored boucle that turned out to be a nightmare for a new knitter to deal with. I struggled on anyway, carefully measuring each piece as I went - well when it was finished the sleeves came down to my hips and the body was too short and too wide. Oh well, chalk it up to experience. I've become a "yarn snob" too. It DID feel REAL good to finally toss that damn thing out !!

JoJo in Boston
Go to Top of Page

scarfitup
Chatty Knitter

192 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  08:50:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit scarfitup's Homepage Send scarfitup a Private Message
OK, a stupid question.....what is "to FROG" something? As a New Yorker/New Englander who moved to the South, where I learned that FROG means Finished Room Over Garage, I am now COMPLETELY confused! HELP!!!

Thanks,
Louise

Scarf It Up!
Wearable Fiber Arts
Blue Moon Showcase
Wilmington NC

http://scarfitup.etsy.com
http://creativewilmington.com
Go to Top of Page

MichelleKS
New Pal

45 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  08:53:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit MichelleKS's Homepage Send MichelleKS a Private Message
I just threw out some sock yarn this morning! I was cleaning in my sewing and knitting area and I found this bag with one sock done and the remaining yarn. Socks were supposed to be for my daughter. I hated this yarn, hated knitting the first sock and so this morning off in the trash it all went. Last year, I threw out all the pieces to a sweater I started in 1985 when I was attending language school in Germany. At some point I finished all the pieces, but never put it together. I don't know how it made it to still exist in my life in 2005! It was NEVER going to be something I would wear. I am in Spring Cleaning mode! Stash and clothes beware!!

Michelle
Go to Top of Page

AuntyNin
Seriously Hooked

USA
772 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  09:06:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyNin's Homepage Send AuntyNin a Private Message
Scarfitup, "frog" is a term meaning to "rip-it! rip-it!" Say it out loud, it will make more sense...

As for throwing out a project, oh yes indeedy. Especially if it's something that was begun when I was a teenager (back in the Dark Ages), as my tastes have changed radically since then.

AuntyNin

Everything happens for a reason, except possibly football. --- Terry Pratchett

http://home.earthlink.net/~lradiga1/
Go to Top of Page

SpinDiva
Gabber Extraordinaire

552 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  09:36:13 AM  Show Profile Send SpinDiva a Private Message
I've done this more times than I can count... the most aggregious of which was a totally complete sweater - sans one sleeve) ... fairly expensive yarn - and I had postponed doing the last sleeve for SO long.. Everytime I walked into my office - there it was saying.... tsk...tsk... tsk.... to me.... I finally got tired of its admonitions and threw it away. Just THREW IT AWAY. Thats what that darn sweater got for making me feel guilty!

I should know better than to knit anything in blue and purple. I am a warm earth tones gal... and the cool colors just seemed to repel my inner self :)

Andrea
Go to Top of Page

Kyrstellaine
New Pal

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  09:36:53 AM  Show Profile Send Kyrstellaine a Private Message
The only project I've thrown out (so far anyway) was a lace moebius scarf in kidsilk haze - I had messed up somewhere, and of course the mohair wouldn't let me frog... Then I made the mistake of leaving it on the table overnight - by the time the cats were done with it, there was NO WAY I was going to try to deal with all the loose ends. Evidently I don't learn very well, though, since I re-started a smaller version with the other ball of yarn.... (refusal to be defeated by the pattern) I think it'll be a while before I buy any other yarn that has mohair in it, though.
Go to Top of Page

JannyW
New Pal

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  2:12:18 PM  Show Profile Send JannyW a Private Message
I threw away a half-finished child's poncho I was doing in LB Boucle ... I hated the feel of the yarn, altho the colors were beautiful. Sometimes the most beautiful colors can't force you to work with disgusting yarn :P

~~Jan~~

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
-- John Lennon
Go to Top of Page

ikelers_holler
Warming Up

57 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  2:26:51 PM  Show Profile Send ikelers_holler a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by jazzbird

I worked on a two-color, three-cable sweater for my mom. Then she up and died on me. I took it out on the sweater and threw it right in the trash.

jazzbird

Thanks for sharing, jazzbird. My son died this year and I have some things lurking in tubs that need to be trashed. This will be the ideal time to do this without feeling guilty! I'll make some room and work out some grief at the same time.

~nancy in NC~
Go to Top of Page

KrazyKim
Chatty Knitter

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  2:31:08 PM  Show Profile Send KrazyKim a Private Message
Nancy in N.C. and Jazzbird,

I'm so sorry to hear of your losses. (And welcome Jazzbird). Hopefully, chatting on the KR will help to deflect some of your pain.

Susan T. O .,

Have you tried knitting Continental with those "difficult" yarns? One reason I stayed with Continental after learning it was because I kept dropping my right-hand needle! (That's also why I switched to circs!).

I've never tossed out any yarn. If I can't frog it in one piece, I can use shorter lengths of yarn for my freeform projects. If I only have snippets left, I make tassel flowers ala Judith Montano or sandwich them between chiffon or tulle and freeform stitch for art quilting. I'm Scotch, what can I say?

Kim, Playa del Rey, CA
Go to Top of Page

Eleanor
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
583 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  4:00:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Eleanor a Yahoo! Message Send Eleanor a Private Message
There's nothing worse than finding out that someone threw out a sweater that you made for her grandchild that she thought was too big (especially the hood). A hooded-zippered jacket that took me forever to put the zipper in by hand and get it perfect! And by the way, the hood was as big as the picture in the book for the size I made! (It was made of wool, which I had hanwashed, and all I had to do was wash it in the machine and it would have shrunk I'm sure. She had paid me to make it too! I still think of that sweater and how some other "poor" but bigger child could have used it, like any one of my grandchildren.
So, moral of the story - I could throw out an impossible sweater or whatever, but don't let anyone else tell me that they did! lol
Go to Top of Page

KellyPg
Chatty Knitter

Malaysia
167 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  7:29:26 PM  Show Profile Send KellyPg a Private Message
Of course I have!

I had little balls of acrylic odds and ends from my first ever purchase as a new knitter. I wanted to use it up for something so I made a striped circular mat mixing all the bits of colours I had just to get enough yarn to make a size I wanted.

Now, imagine acrylic light pink, light blue, neon pink, neon blue and a generous dash of oatmeal.

Yep, nauseating.

After it was done, I tossed it on the floor. Ironically, kitty loved it. She spent every waking (and sleeping) moment on it, only getting up for meals and litter box breaks and playtime. I just didn't have the heart take it from her, even though I felt sick every time I looked at it. A

fter a week, on her next trip to her dinner bowl, I finally took it and stuffed it straight in the trash bag.

You guessed it; immediate relief! Kitty came back from her meal, looked around, and went back to her previous station, on the bathroom mat to resume tripping up her victims.

Kelly
Go to Top of Page

bclem@swbell.net
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  8:18:29 PM  Show Profile Send bclem@swbell.net a Private Message
I have a shawl that I made from some novelty yarn from Line - and while the yarn looked great on the skein, and the swatch, it knitted up looking like a golden camo shag rug! UGH!!!! I'm donating to a charity clothing center - it's warm for cooler Texas days... I would look like a shaggy dog in it!
Go to Top of Page

annw
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  04:51:59 AM  Show Profile Send annw a Private Message
I try to do my part in knitting for charitable causes, and they often prefer acrylic. So I dutifully purchased acrylic yarn in variegated baby colors and started a blanket. About halfway through I decided that I deserved a break. A year later, it was still in my favorite knitting bag, stuffed far enough down that the bag was a decorative accessory in my family room with nary a strand of baby pink showing. I tried again, and again, and then decided that I knit enough prayer shawls that this one baby blanket could go in the trash. What a relief!
Go to Top of Page

yarn forever
Chatty Knitter

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  06:18:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit yarn forever's Homepage Send yarn forever a Private Message
A lime green pullover from Sirdar Snowflake for my son (what was I thinking? Lime? Puffy?). It was so horrible to work on, and stretched like crazy in all directions when finished. I shudder just thinking about it.

www.roxyyarns.com/store
Go to Top of Page

Yarnovah
Warming Up

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  12:30:49 PM  Show Profile Send Yarnovah a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kiki585

Gee I was relieved to hear some knitters throw out difficult projects. I thought I would be frowned upon by the whole knitting world for doing that. First of all I can frog ok but if I rip out I don't know how to put the yarn loops back on the needles. I'm fairly new to knitting. Ripping out in crochet is much easier. Also, I was sorry to hear about the Denise needles because I just bought a set! OH NO! Why didn't you like them? I made a baby set with ripply boucle and find it hard to even sew up seams.

I have a Denise set and I love it. I got my 20 year old daughter to "surprise me" with it last Christmas/birthday. I bless her often, and might have done bodily harm cried if I didn't get it. I do "magic loop" instead of swithching to dpns when I make hats. It's so good to have all the sizes. Gauge swatch? No problem. So, give your set a chance, and just figure "different strokes..."

Yarnovah
Go to Top of Page

calicokitty6
Seriously Hooked

USA
864 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  3:09:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit calicokitty6's Homepage Send calicokitty6 a Private Message
I haven't thrown anything in the trash yet. Usually it gets sent to the box in the bottom of the closet to be found in a couple of years or so. I have a sweater I was crocheting about 10 years ago in there that I should finish or toss. Thanks to this thread, I'm going in there this weekend and tossing it in the trash!

(I will save the hook though)

=^..^= Debbie [meow] http://calicokitty6.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by