Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Worst Project Nightmare
 Ever trashed a project?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

lizajane
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  6:27:51 PM  Show Profile Send lizajane a Private Message
Before I discovered quality yarns, I found a pretty skein of yarn that would go with everything! Blue, burgandy, forest green, and oatmeal, in acrylic. I made a sweater-vest out of it, wore it three times, and decided that I hated how it fit and how it made me feel. I started to frog it, then that got frustrated by that, so I quit. It hung out in my closet for a year or so, then someone was looking for some yarn on Freecycle, so it went to her. She turned it into a nice poncho for her niece. Much better use. Very freeing for me.
Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  09:23:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
I've never actually thrown something in the trash. I don't know if I could. I would have to give it to Goodwill or something. One person's trash is another person's favorite knitting project! And all that acrylic? I have some really ugly, functional, great potholders! ;-) PS They don't melt.

~~~~Jamye

I don't have a problem with authority, I just have a problem with people telling me what to do.
Go to Top of Page

KrazyKim
Chatty Knitter

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  01:23:57 AM  Show Profile Send KrazyKim a Private Message
AuntyNin,

Thank you so much for explaining not only what frogging is, but WHY it's called frogging. I never knew that!

Kim, Playa del Rey, CA
Go to Top of Page

2trees
Seriously Hooked

749 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  4:16:45 PM  Show Profile Send 2trees a Private Message
I've only thrown out one project. It was a seed stitch tunic in multi-sized stripes. I had a very bad experience buying the yarn for it (my first and only foray in to a real yarn store!), but I felt bad for spending what seemed like a lot of money and struggled for 8 YEARS to work on that $#!* sweater. I had it all done but one sleeve when we were packing up to move out of state. When I came across the sweater, I had the sudden inspiration that it could be "lost" in the move and I would be free from it forever. :D It was very freeing to finally ditch that evil thing!

If I were kind to myself, I wouldn't have to wait for kindness from others
Go to Top of Page

CJollyRN
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  09:48:08 AM  Show Profile Send CJollyRN a Private Message
I recently knit a stuffed uterus (yes, I said uterus, as in womb) I am a nurse practitioner and thought it would be fun to make body parts.....it was just weird. I haven't actually thrown it away yet, but I am headed that way. I am currently suppressing the urge to knit a full digestive system pattern I recently found online.
Go to Top of Page

Jenni Reiz
New Pal

Canada
8 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  4:50:47 PM  Show Profile Send Jenni Reiz a Private Message
not a project - but there was this skein of cashmere - !!! - and my skin was so dry and cracked, I kept "picking" the yarn, and it got into SUCH A TANGLE!!! When it got to the point that I was crying, nay - weeping - with frustration, and I realized that I was "THIS CLOSE" to taking it out in back, and burning it --- I took it with me to Knitting circle at the LYS, and two of the members took it away from me, and "WORKED" on it; one ended up taking it home, and brought it back to me at our Guild meeting. It is now nicely tamed, and still on the core that we used for the centre, all I have to do now is forgive myself for the rude words, and the cashmere for being so finicky, and find out what it wants to be, other than a nuisance
Go to Top of Page

stellaken@comcast.net
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  05:05:35 AM  Show Profile Send stellaken@comcast.net a Private Message
What do you mean when you say you "frog" something? New to this!
Go to Top of Page

ScubaQueen
Seriously Hooked

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  07:03:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit ScubaQueen's Homepage Send ScubaQueen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kenstella@bellsouth.net

What do you mean when you say you "frog" something? New to this!

A frog goes "ribbit ribbit"....a knitter pulling out rows of stitches goes "rippit rippit". Hence the term "frog it". It means pulling out rows of stitches....sometimes even the WHOLE project [crazy]

~Wendy

"Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable." - Sidney J. Harris

... My Knitting Blog.... My Other Nonsense
Go to Top of Page

socks4all
Permanent Resident

USA
1461 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  06:02:56 AM  Show Profile Send socks4all a Private Message
Yes, and it can be very cathartic. Once I signed up for a class at my LYS because I didn't want to pay for the book ($40). I had looked at the book, thought the technique was intriguing but hated the patterns. Before signing up I asked if we had to buy the book. Oh, no. So I plunked down $40 for the class. You guessed it, at the class I found that we did have to buy the book. Now I'm $80 into this and was told I couldn't use the yarn I brought with me. I'm lousey at picking colours and so the teacher helped. Well, the technique was a pain and for once I was not finished with the project by the end of the class. The mittens were horrid. The colours were too close, so the design dissappeard, I still hated the technique, and I was angry at the excess $$ spent. So I did finish one mitten. Then I wrote down all my frustrations, with the mittens, at work, etc, each on its own slip of paper. The papers went into the mitten and I took them all to my BF's house. We lit a fire in the fireplace. I threw the mitten on the floor, stomped on, kicked, and did a war dance around. By the time I was ready to throw it in the fire I had a side ache from laughing. The BF just sat on the couch wide-eyed in amasement. In the course of a few minutes I went from the calm, collected sane person he knew to a raving lunatic, to a silly goose. Afterwards he vowed never to make me mad[:00]. Usually I just frog unless the yarn is awful, then it goes to the dumpster.
Go to Top of Page

KrazyKim
Chatty Knitter

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  1:12:11 PM  Show Profile Send KrazyKim a Private Message
CJolly,

I'd love to see your uterus! I really loved the digestive system you also mentioned. About a year ago I made a slightly bigger than life size human heart using an art quilting technique. I guess they used to call it "soft sculture" in the 70's, but you don't hear the term often these days. I really enjoyed the process of getting the aortas in the right place and in the right scale to each other. And I fern-stitched the smaller veins on the surface. That was a fun project. I made it for an annual "Red" art show at a community art gallery.

Kim, Playa del Rey, CA
Go to Top of Page

spindyerella
Seriously Hooked

601 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  11:29:01 AM  Show Profile Send spindyerella a Private Message
Yes, I have trashed a project. It was the Hallowig from Knitty, and I was making it in Caron Simply Horrible....ummmm Simply Soft. I hated the pattern and the yarn, and they both ended up going in the garbage.
Go to Top of Page

mljan
Warming Up

98 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  6:46:47 PM  Show Profile Send mljan a Private Message
As one of my first crochet projects, I crocheted an afghan that was done in strips: 3 strips of hearts and 2 strips of something else, which I don't remember because I never did them. Every one of the heart strips was a different length because my gauge varied, and I lost track of which strip I did first, so I couldn't tell if I was gradually crocheting looser or tighter.
Luckily, I have a sister who is a terrific crocheter and knitter, who works fast and gives most of her work away. When I griped about my afghan woes and said I wanted to toss it, she said she'd take it as she always could use more yarn. I not only gave her that, but I unloaded a bunch of yarn from my stash that I unwisely bought as a newbie, and now find I don't like at all. It makes me feel positively saintly that I underwrote her charitable work.
Go to Top of Page

AngieSue
Permanent Resident

USA
1606 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  6:57:42 PM  Show Profile Send AngieSue a Private Message
I made the potato chip scarf out of Berocco Softtwist which was a gold color. My DH commented that it looked like an intestine and to be honest, I agreed. I had split the yarn so much I was freakin' tired of the whole project. I put the scarf in the trash can and never looked back.

Angie
Go to Top of Page

knitegrity
Chatty Knitter

255 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2006 :  06:50:59 AM  Show Profile Send knitegrity a Private Message
Years ago I knit with a yarn by Reynolds called Gloucester a 100% cotton. I actually made several sweaters. Now that yarn has changed so much and is so much nicer, using the old yarn is like knitting with rope! I had some left over in white and started a Debbie Bliss toddler cardigan. I knit the back and the front and decided I didn't like it. Rather than rip it all out I mopped the floor with it!!! Yikes!!! That nice heavy cotton makes a great mop. It was liberating. Well, apparently I didn't learn. A month ago I started a rectangular shawl in a basketweave pattern in red of the same yarn. That has since been ripped too! The red yarn was even worse than the white. It seems like the dye made it even coarser feeling. That's enough. I say onto better fibers and cotton blends!

Knit One,
diana
Go to Top of Page

wannaknit
New Pal

21 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2006 :  11:24:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit wannaknit's Homepage Send wannaknit a Private Message
I didn't read all 4 pages, gotta go to bed, but I had a thought! Wouldn't it be cool if there was a place ( like here! ) that we could post all the stuff we want to trash and someone might be interested in "rescuing" our project and making good use of it. They can either finish it or frog it or do whatever they want with it. If this was already mentioned "sorry" it just hit me and had to share, now I've got to go bed!
Wanna knit more then I have time for!
Go to Top of Page

Boxy
Warming Up

51 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2006 :  6:39:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Boxy's Homepage Send Boxy a Private Message
Usually I can frog a project and restart, or pass the yarn on to someone who will hate it less.

One time I did get about halfway through a baby sweater using Jiffy when I realized that if I had to touch that yarn for one more second I would scream, and I threw the 1/2 sweater and rest of the yarn right in the trash. Ahhh.

http://www.purpleduckie.com
Go to Top of Page

mamid
Permanent Resident

Canada
1568 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2006 :  10:50:53 PM  Show Profile  Send mamid a Yahoo! Message Send mamid a Private Message
I just tossed a huge bag of yarn a couple of weeks ago. Including half started projects and end of project yarns. I kept my angora and silk though.

Now, with a bunch of scraps I have, I'm making a "shawl" for DD, including using yarn I personally spun in front of her. I'm using a small varigated ball first, I think some SWTC bamboo, then will be switching to the "silk" I finished spinning today. She keeps on stealing mine, so I might as well make her one.

Okay, where did my kids hide my needles?

Money's the world's curse.
May the Lord smite me with it.
And may I never recover!
Craftiness is Sanity
The Last Thread
Go to Top of Page

Knitters-Attic
Chatty Knitter

Canada
154 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  06:43:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Knitters-Attic's Homepage Send Knitters-Attic a Private Message
I got rid of 10 balls of black Snowflakes yarn, including the finished project. It was the most frustrating project I have ever done. The yarn stuck to my fingers, the thread stuck to each other. Then, when the project was over, it look like a lump of glitter. Now I stay away from Snowflake.
Go to Top of Page

2trees
Seriously Hooked

749 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  12:49:58 PM  Show Profile Send 2trees a Private Message
Love your sig line, mamid. :D

If I were a rich man...

"Man is more nearly like the pig than the pig would like to admit." - Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

mamid
Permanent Resident

Canada
1568 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  2:24:00 PM  Show Profile  Send mamid a Yahoo! Message Send mamid a Private Message
That's where I got it from! :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.