Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitterly Happenings and Events
 Black Sheep Gathering?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tsc_knitter
New Pal

18 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  12:48:01 PM  Show Profile Send tsc_knitter a Private Message
Anyone been to the Black Sheep Gathering in Eugene, OR? I live in California and I'm thinking of going.
How does it compare to other Sheep and Wool Fairs (Maryland, Vermont, New Hampshire, New York)?
And what are the highlights?

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4152 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  12:54:04 PM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message
Hi, I've been to the BSG several times, but haven't been to the other Fairs you've mentioned. My guess, though, is that it is somewhat smaller than the other fairs, attracting mostly west coast vendors. Last year, vendors included the Bellwether, Socks that Rock (where my addiction began), Woodland Woolworks, and Pacific Wool and Fiber (I believe). My view is that there is much more for spinners than for knitters, but maybe that is because last time I was looking for fiber for spinning. There's lots of beautiful and unique fibers from local people, which I really enjoy.

Last year was my first year to take a class, and I was surprised that I was the only one in the class from Eugene. Others were from all over the West Coast. There are great classes offered, the list is at the BSG website (www.blacksheepgathering.org).

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

blackramfarm
Warming Up

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  6:54:19 PM  Show Profile Send blackramfarm a Private Message
I would just love to go to the black sheep gathering, but alas too darn far away! Makes me think we should have a black sheep east coast version. As far as the East Coast shows go, Rhinebeck and Fryeburg Fair are my favorites, then spending Mother's day in NH, then Maryland Sheep and Wool and sadly to say Vermont is dead last.
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2345 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  06:04:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
Ive been to BSG a couple of times, and to all of the big East Coast shows as well. BSG is considerably smaller than Rhinebeck and Maryland, bigger than Mass and NH S&W. I enjoyed it a lot, there were plenty of vendors, the barns were fun, and the fleece show and sale was awesome, as big or bigger than Rhinebeck or Maryland.

Another nice thing about the show is that while there's plenty of everything to see and buy, the crowds are really much more manageable than the big East Coast shows, which are both near very large metropolitan areas. You don't have to stand in endless lines for the food vendors or bathrooms, and the show t-shirts and totes don't run out in the first 30-45 minutes.

There is a great variety of classes at BSG as well. I haven't taken classes before, but this year I am, as I will not just be visiting for a single day.

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

carolbeech
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  08:10:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit carolbeech's Homepage Send carolbeech a Private Message
This sounds like fun, I am going to try to talk my husband into going! Connie
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4152 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  09:10:37 AM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message
We should try to get together for lunch or breakfast or coffee....closer to the date I'll try to remember to arrange something!

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

tsc_knitter
New Pal

18 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  7:12:34 PM  Show Profile Send tsc_knitter a Private Message
Thanks for all of the information! It sounds like a wonderful event and I'm going to try to make it! Also, Eugene should be really nice by then!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.76 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe