Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Changing patterns in midstream=total confusion
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lucienh
Honorary Angel

919 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  06:29:20 AM  Show Profile Send lucienh a Private Message
My SIL gave me some beautiful yarn and had her LYS make up a basic pullover pattern to my measurements. I've made the back and have almost finished the second sleeve, but in the mean time I've decided that the wool is so heavy I'll never wear a pullover out of it, but I could get good use out of a cardigan. I have plenty of yarn left, and am thinking of trying to turn the sweater into a cardigan -- but two questions. First, is it too late to change? And second, it's going to end up really simple (boring). Would a pattern (cables or something?) work if it was just on the front? What else could I do to make it look hand-made instead of loving-hands-at-home?
And am I the only one who does this?

metromaples
Seriously Hooked

USA
878 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  07:08:31 AM  Show Profile Send metromaples a Private Message
I'm guessing that you're knitting the back separately and perhaps intended to knit the front and seam them together. If so, I guess you could change to a cardigan now. And sure you could put cables only on the front. I think the only thing is to make sure the side seams and shoulder seams are going to match up reasonably.

You could make the front in one piece and steek it but I haven't worked up the courage for steeking yet.

Jeri
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Stripes
Gabber Extraordinaire

417 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  08:57:14 AM  Show Profile Send Lavender Stripes a Private Message
I would say it's perfectly possible-- just make sure that you make the appropriate adjustments. I would keep the shoulder shaping exactly how it is in the pattern, so that you can be sure it will fit with the sleeve, but add neck shaping, depending on what shape you want the neck to be (plain diagonal for a V-neck, bind off some and then gradually decrease for rounded, bind off and don't decrease for square). For the two fronts, don't forget to either add stitches for an edging that is knitted on, so that the two pieces overlap about an inch, if you want buttons, or knit them each about 1/2-an inch short of each other and then apply an edge for the buttons, using ribbing or seed stitch or whatever. Or, if you want a zipper, well, I've never done that-- so you'll have to look it up! If you want a tie or a frog or a clasp, I would still include an edging so that it doesn't curl, but make the two pieces almost hit-- maybe 1/2 an inch apart. If you want a cable, go for it-- I would think that a solitary cable twisting opposite ways on each side, about 1/2-an inch away from the edge would look excellent! But don't forget to swatch-- cables pull in! I wouldn't do too much patterning though, not with a plain back. If you want another idea about how to incorporate cables, maybe a sideways cable around the wrist of the sleeve? If you want something even a little different, take a look at Nicky Epstein's Knitting on the Edge or Over the Edge-- you could always spice the sweater up using fancy edgings. Anyways-- good luck!

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/QueenLorien/USALaceTeam.jpg[/img]
Go to Top of Page

lucienh
Honorary Angel

919 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  06:27:59 AM  Show Profile Send lucienh a Private Message
Thank you! I think I have the courage to try it now.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe