Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitterly Happenings and Events
 Knitters Garden
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ForestBird
Chatty Knitter

USA
265 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  1:05:17 PM  Show Profile Send ForestBird a Private Message
hobbitknitter/Sarah has introduced the idea of a group garden-along, with and emphasis on plants one can dye yarn with. I think/hope we can include other plants as well. After all, our yarn and ideas are seeds that we nurture to growth, then we reap what we have sown: socks, a sweater, a shawl. Nothing our local supermarket could ever carry.

The connection of knitting to the earth seems so essential.

I have a particualar interest in heirloom tomatoes. Last year I tried one, a pink brandywine. Here in the mountains of the Northeast we have a short growing period, and cool moist climate. I got a few medium-sized tomatoes of a beautiful soft red color, more in the yellow family than a true pink. But the insides were a sparkling true tomato red. And the flavor!

I treasure the days I walk to my tomato plants, pick a ripe one in the afternoon sun, and bite in.

I can't grow oranges, and lettuce and parsley, for instance, is so inexpensive, and the flavors I don't believe can be much improved on by home gardening. But tomatoes! And a few other vegetables - and fruits, I'm sure - cannot be delivered with good flavor, with not too much work, by my local supermarket.

I have some great recipes for zucchini blossoms, by the way, if anyone is interested.

Here is the group-blog (gro-blog? grog? blorg? grrrr!?)link:

http://greenthumbs2greenyarn.blogspot.com/

"Art is the imposing of a pattern on experience, and our aesthetic enjoyment is recognition of the pattern."
Alfred North Whitehead, Dialogues (1954)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe