Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Knitalongs
 Watergarden Shrug Knitalong
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  1:42:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
The Watergarden/Shoreline shrug Knitalong has begun. We'll meet here and post pictures here:

http://www.janethornley.com/journal_knitalong.php

It's never too late to cast on and, if you can send a picture of your shrug within the month of May, you'll qualify for a free shrug kit from Yarnstashio http://www.chezcas.com/yarnstashio.htm. Details on my knitalong web page.

Jane

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  2:36:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
I don't really know but I'd be interested. It might be the motivation I need to get started!

~~~~Jamye

I don't have a problem with authority, I just have a problem with people telling me what to do.
Go to Top of Page

Renocat
Permanent Resident

1327 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  6:52:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Renocat's Homepage Send Renocat a Private Message
I just set up a new blog on blogspot and then set it so I could invite people to participate as they e mailed me.

[img]http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/knit.gif[/img]
Kim
I have a blog! Kim Knits
Snowflakes and Arrows Vest KAL
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  11:46:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
A whole new blog? I wonder if that translates into a whole new page for me, a knit-along page? I think it does and that it's doable. Sounds kind of fun, too. Gives me another excuse to start ANOTHER shrug so I'm knitting along, too. I'll check with my web guy next week.

PS: Kim, that's one incredible piece of snowflake work!
PSS: Jayme: hang on, we're soon going a knit-alonging!
Go to Top of Page

F1FAN
Warming Up

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  12:22:31 AM  Show Profile Send F1FAN a Private Message
Jane, I love your work! It's exactly what I've been hoping to create myself, but just didn't know how. I'd love to join your KAL so please PM me or announce when you start it.
You can also send it to xavierknits at yahoo dot com -- she documents all the KALs by date and name so others can join too. check out her 2006 list so far:
http://knitting.xaviermusketeer.com/2006knitalongs.html
Teri
Go to Top of Page

JGOLOSO
Gabber Extraordinaire

491 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  05:39:06 AM  Show Profile Send JGOLOSO a Private Message
I'd love to join a Watergarden knitalong, too. I have been going over the patterns I purchased and I am very excited to start one of these beautiful shrugs. Mixing colors is a lot harder than I thought it would be! I have been looking through my stash all weekend and I keep mixing and changing my mind. The possibilities are endless.

J.
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  11:03:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
I think maybe I'll start the knitalong by talking colors. I keep thinking it's easy to do but it's probably much harder than I thought (that's why I'm going to offer a few kits for some of my designs and mix all the colors myself. First one up: Shell dance capelet in mother-of-pearl luminous yarns). So, I'm going to get this up and running in about a week's time.
Go to Top of Page

JGOLOSO
Gabber Extraordinaire

491 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  7:53:45 PM  Show Profile Send JGOLOSO a Private Message
Mixing colors does seem easy and it probably is a lot easier that I am making it out to be. I think it's just that there are so many possibilites and I keep second guessing myself. I have A LOT of stash yarn, so I can really spend days mixing and matching. I just have to select one combo and go with it. Then, I'll make another later!
Go to Top of Page

frenetic@charter.net
Permanent Resident

1386 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 :  3:04:31 PM  Show Profile Send frenetic@charter.net a Private Message
I have been itching to start a new project of Jane's too--I am working on finishing a shawl for someone, then I am ready to start. Count me in!
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

marybk
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  4:23:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit marybk's Homepage Send marybk a Private Message
As a ribbon, I purchased Kristha. It's nylon and unfolded is 5/8" wide. But on the spool it is creased so it is half that wide. I've never used ribbon to knit. Question: Do I leave it folded?

==marybk
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  4:50:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
I wouldn't but is it supposed to be folded? Sometimes the ribbons I use crease, twist, wrinkle, and I just let them go for it. Makes things interesting. If it doesn't bother you, don't worry about it. The width suggestion is only a guide.

Jane
Go to Top of Page

hudcathy
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  08:55:18 AM  Show Profile Send hudcathy a Private Message
I love the look of this shrug and can hardly wait to start. I'm going to sit down with my stash tonight. I have some Noro Hana and several different types of Colinette in the colorway Morocco. Each type of yard takes the colorway differently and should like nice - what do you think?
Go to Top of Page

JGOLOSO
Gabber Extraordinaire

491 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  6:37:19 PM  Show Profile Send JGOLOSO a Private Message
I'm in the midst of a gazillion (that's a lot!) of projects, but I am going to get my yarn together for this project and cast on very soon. The website is so inspiring. I love that there are great photos and tips posted and updated often. It really helps and it's very nice to have that much pattern support available.

J.
Go to Top of Page

marybk
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  05:43:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit marybk's Homepage Send marybk a Private Message
I am on vignette 4 and have a questsion. Do I do a total of 8 rows for vignette 4 (2 rows of yo and knit across four times)?

It really is fun as the various colors and vignettes emerge. After the cuff, which went rather slowly as Fair Isle is new to me, it got easier and I'm also moving more quickly.
Go to Top of Page

Golden29
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  09:25:06 AM  Show Profile Send Golden29 a Private Message
Hi everyone!
I have just purchased the Watergarden pattern from Jane and I'm very excited to get going on it! I'm still deciding on my yarns though. Is anyone on here from Canada yet?? I love the yarns that Jane has used but I can't seem to find any of those in Canada [:((]. Does anyone have any suggestions for similar yarns that are available in Canada? I do like glitzy, splashy ribbon yarns and would like to use something with the longer eyelash etc. Any tips would be appreciated. Can't wait to get started - looking forward to hearing about everyone's shrugs!

Beverly, Ontario, Cda
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  1:03:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
Hi, everybody. I'm going to answer everybody's questions plus post a sizable entry on my blog for tomorrow. I think I've answered Beverly's question regarding the yarn sourcing, which I'll share the specifics about very soon (big announcement coming!).

Mary: that's two rows yarnover stitch with two reverse rows where you knit across for a total of four rows BUT (and this is a very important BUT, there are no wrong stitches in this pattern. if you do six rows of yarnovers, you'll just end up with a lovely net-like affect early in your sleeve, the shrug will still look great and all will remain right with the world.
Cathy: I love the Colinette yarns and the ones you described will make one beautiful shrug.

A note about yarn changes: I usually only begin new yarns on the right side row but will sometimes change on the wrong side when a garter stitch with a new yarn creates an interesting ridge effect. If you reach a point where you think 'naw--if I do a garter here with a new yarn, the resulting ridge won't look the way I want it', DON'T FRET. Remember, this pattern is like a recipe where you can add the ingredients according to your whim. It will still look gorgeous, honestly!

Regarding size and length: exactly when you reach 33" across will depend on how tight a knitter you are plus the type of yarn you're using. If you reach 33" when your sleeve is 12" long, let's say, this does not mean that you've done it wrong, even though the schematic shows me reaching the width at about 19" long. The worse that could happen if you keep on increasing until you reach your desired sleeve length is you'll have a roomier, wingier, more drapier shrug. It will still look gorgeous. What you don't want to do is syop increasing when you have only 60 stitches on the needle (in one version of the pattern I added that in a misquided attempt to make things clearer). Let 33" be your minimum!
Go to Top of Page

frenetic@charter.net
Permanent Resident

1386 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  1:43:04 PM  Show Profile Send frenetic@charter.net a Private Message
I would love to hear what yarns everyone is using, especially those who are using different yarns than the pattern, as I have not purchased mine yet.
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

marybk
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  3:51:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit marybk's Homepage Send marybk a Private Message
I have some yarns from stash that are, alas, label-less -- slubby cottony yarn in my colors of off-white, sand, and pale blue, with a dash of pink. I have purchased Berroco Boho in 9201, an off white. It is gorgeous and delightful to work with. I also bought Crystal Palace Summer Net in pale blue. My wide ribbon is sand colored Kristha (made in Italy, never heard of brand, label not informative, but LYS owner recommended it). Another ribbon is Crystal Palace Party in Spring Picnic. I also bought a Radiance Beige eyelash at Joanne's (house brand) while walking through because I liked the colors.

I love Jane's Indonesian Teak scarf and think the leftovers will find their way into a summery scarf. I almost wish I had made it first, to get used to mixing colors and patterns and textures. Do check it out; it's the free pattern on her web site.

Anxious to hear what color combos and yarns others are using.

==Best, Mary
Go to Top of Page

MJB
Chatty Knitter

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2006 :  08:43:10 AM  Show Profile Send MJB a Private Message
Hi Jane and Knitters,
This is my first knitalong ever so I am excited! I have yarn I was collecting for Jane's capelet pattern, but I think I will use them for the shrug....
I have a 'seaweed' colorway:

Eros Glitz 192 blues-purple ladder
Quest 9808 shiny light green
Modea Dea Kickx 3620 furry greeen blues
Zen ribbon 82
Grinasco Karma 323 greenish blue thick and thin
Gedifra sheela big loopy bumps 4109
Patons Brilliant light green with silver metallic 3232
Mission Falls cotton 302 seaweed
Peru Dk 04

I'll catch up!
mjb
Go to Top of Page

MJB
Chatty Knitter

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2006 :  2:24:18 PM  Show Profile Send MJB a Private Message
Update and Questions:

I used the Zen for the cuff and did not attempt anyting more than K1P1 with one yarn.
row 4 was challenging...the yarn over..increasing.... wraps....
row 7 have 60 stitches....sleeve is only 8in in length.I put sleeve marker on this row. But I think I need to mark the sleeve when it is 30 inches wide.
row 9 sleeve is 24 inches wide.
I will start increasing again.
thoughts?
mjb
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2006 :  2:47:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
Keep increasing until your sleeve measures at least 30-33 inches across. You could go even wider--no problem. Mark your sleeve only when the length is where you want your sleeve in terms of length (depending on your arm length). Typically, I mark mine anywhere from 18-20 inches, depending on whether I want 3/4 sleeves or not. Where you mark your sleeve will begin the body of your piece where you knit straight across for 24 inches before marking again. The measurements for the body doesn't change but the sleeve may, depending on your arm length choices.

Because people are using different sized yarns and knitting at different tensions, variations occurr as to when you reach 60 stitches versus the 30 across. I WISH NOW I HAD NEVER WRITTEN 60 STITCHES. I'VE REPLACED THAT WITH 'KEEP INCREASING UNTIL YOU REACH 30 inches across'. Sorry for the confusion there. Once you reach 30 inches across but if you still need more length, keep increasing until you reach the your sleeve length, whether it be 19 inches, as I suggest, or longer. This won't do a thing to the finished look of your shrug except to make it drapier.

PS: I've posted a discussion on my Knitalong journal with more tips and insights.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.91 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?