Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Knitalongs
 Watergarden Shrug Knitalong
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

marybk
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  7:36:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit marybk's Homepage Send marybk a Private Message
I finished and will try to take a picture tomorrow. I tried knitting the edging on the opening (as per directions) and it was waa-ay too small. After ripping it out, I used a size N 9.0 mm crochet hook and did 2 rows of single crochet. I could control the tenson and size of the opening better with crochet and measured it several times to assure I was leaving a 23" opening. I'm really pleased and anxious to wear it tomorrow.

==Mary
Go to Top of Page

hypchick
New Pal

23 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2006 :  08:06:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit hypchick's Homepage Send hypchick a Private Message
Hi Knitalongers! I had to wait on a return from vacation to get started with the shrug. I am having a great time with it, and woud move faster if I just coudl get over stopping to admire the colors, textures, etc., of it all. I had to restart the cuff at least half a dozen times, but finally got the hang of carrying yarn across the back side. It's a lot easier to practice with yarn that is just plain old stuff, which I had to resort to in order to get on the right track. Now, all is good, and I am moving more quickly. I sent Jane a photo of my cuff, and the yarns I have reserved for the project. They are sitting on some China silk, that is really a pair of pants I haven't worn in ages. ...The exactly right shade of jade. I am cutting them in strips and tying together to make a flagged yarn. Jane has referred to them as "strippins." Good name! The first ones were almost on the straight grain, and lacked elasticity, making it very difficult to get into with the needle. Now, I am doing bias, and it knits far more comfortably. Also, there are more flags, and I adore texture. In this case, the China silk is a very strongly woven fabric, and either cutting stays strong, even less than 1/2" wide. A looser woven one might be a problem in terms of unravelling and breaking, but a wider strip will help.

Well, I am glad to be aboard the knitalong. It certainly helps to see what others are doing, and the inspiring photos are great!

.........Mardi
Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2006 :  08:24:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
Sounds like everyone is coming along great with their shrugs. I'm kind of at a standstill right now...graduation coming up and busy at work, but I have a roadtrip for work coming up and that always gives me time (hopefully anyway) for a little knitting.

Jane, what do you suggest about the ends? I don't know how to knit them in I guess. If I crochet down the entire length I guess I could catch them that way then sew the sleeve seams. Any thoughts from anyone?

~~~~Jamye

I don't have a problem with authority, I just have a problem with people telling me what to do.
Go to Top of Page

marybk
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  03:10:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit marybk's Homepage Send marybk a Private Message
Hey, nice to have someone new join us.I don't have a great answer for the ends but can tell you what I did. With some of the slippery ribbons, I was afraid not to tend to them, so I threaded a needle with an end of yarn from the vignette above or below and tacked the slippery end while weaving in the other end. When I sewed up the sleeves, everything pretty much disappeared into the seam, which is a consoling thought.
Go to Top of Page

hypchick
New Pal

23 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  03:24:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit hypchick's Homepage Send hypchick a Private Message
Has anyone done a vignette that suddenly looks so great that it makes one you did before look not so good any more? ...So much so that you wish you could do something different with the earlier one? Shi-o-o-t! Well, I did! Just before I put my knitting down about midnight last night it happpened. I could hardly get to sleep. Not only was it like having to put down an exciting book in the middle of intense action, but here was this new challenge. I finally drifted off with thoughts of embroidering a gauzy cobweb of yarn over it or adding embellishments of tiny beads to bring it more into the color range of the newest vignette. O pooh, pooh, pooh!

...Mardi
Go to Top of Page

marybk
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  05:47:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit marybk's Homepage Send marybk a Private Message
Oh, Mardi, is a picture of your wonderful vignette possible? And the beads sounds like a great idea for the previous vignette.

==Mary
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  12:00:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
Hi, everybody. This weekend, I'm going to post a piece on 'Suitable Endings' regarding handling all those loose ends. I'll also post a picture of Mardi's emerging shrug, though it won't be of the perfect vignette (unless she emails it to me ASAP). Oh, but oh, don't I understand that perfect vignette syndrome. It happens to me all the time! Fiber art is so much a factor of eye+circumstance+(happy)accident. You just can't tell exactly what a combination will look like until it's knit together and staring you in the face.

I rarely go back and rip-it, but I will take that vignette and design a new garment around it, usually a scarf. If the combo immediately preceding perfecto is too onerous, the idea of surface beading is a fabulous solution. You could try needle weaving in other yarns to improve the transition. Camolflage is the better part of valor!
Go to Top of Page

hypchick
New Pal

23 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2006 :  04:19:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit hypchick's Homepage Send hypchick a Private Message
I've been through it folks! What a knitting day yesterday was! I learned how to do that drop-stitch (I think), and I did so much back-tracking. With plain yarn, it's easy enough, but these specialty yarns made me feel like I was tangled in a yarn jungle, and I got off the pattern trail. Finally, I got myself straightened out by bravely scavaging onward, ...grabbing onto any yarn promising with each throw that it was leading me to the edge of the jungle. I can't be sure, but my hubby might swear to you that I gave a few Tarzan-like yells as I worked through the mess. I will send Jane a new photo later when I have my eyes open! ........Mardi
Go to Top of Page

lford
Chatty Knitter

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2006 :  04:44:52 AM  Show Profile Send lford a Private Message
Good to have some knitters just beginning their shrug. I was starting to feel like a real slacker (haven't touched mine for a week) but I HAD to step away from the shrug. This project is so addictive that I was not getting anything else done! I plan to get back on it this week. Thank goodness this is for an August birthday and so time is not an issue. I am so glad that Jane will be posting finishing info. I was stressing how to sew those sleeves up with all those ends.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2006 :  4:09:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
Mary, I can hardly wait to see your finished creation! Meanwhile, I've posted Mardi's innovative, incredibly inventive shrug picture along with tips on managing those loose ends.
By the way, new knitalongers are joining every day but many prefer not to post. I estimate about 40 people are knitting along with us.
Go to Top of Page

jdquilt@aol.com
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2006 :  1:52:45 PM  Show Profile Send jdquilt@aol.com a Private Message
Hi - I am rounding the edges of the Shorelines Version of this shrug. From the photos on your website Jane it seems like the edging goes only on the cuffs and along the neck edge and disappears under the um - armpits. Is that correct? Do you finish off the bottom with single crochet or crab stitch?

This edging looked corrocheted but it is knited and so genius. It is really fun to do and so easy. After the edging - shells and beads and then it's off for it's photo. Janice
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2006 :  10:03:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
Janice, that's right: the edging does peter out under the armpits but it would have looked lovely all around the bottom, too. I finished the bottom with a simple 1-row bind-off, deciding to forgo the fancier edgings because my particuliar shrug draped over the edging, rendering it invisible. Single crochet would be gorgeous. I know of one shrugger who'se using a crocheted edging.

PS. I haven't yet taken up crocheting but this is the week I officially become a hooker. i'm planning a crochet edging for one of the fall designs.

Shells and beads, of my. I wait in anticipation to see this lovely.
Jane
Go to Top of Page

hypchick
New Pal

23 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  03:50:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit hypchick's Homepage Send hypchick a Private Message
My version is growing daily! I am somewhere past the middle now, but doing some of the drop stitches, and they leap you ahead fast. I still can't get myself past admiring just about every stitch. Add that to stepping back after a row or two in order to see the flow of the pattern as it grows, and I feel like I spend half of my time gazing. I am beginning to wonder though,...as I knit, I am constantly catching the ends of the needles in the stitches. What happens when I wear this lovely? With stitches this open, will I get caught on everything? How about some feedback from those of you with more experience in these matters?
Go to Top of Page

marybk
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  05:32:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit marybk's Homepage Send marybk a Private Message
I have worn my shrug to work only one full day and had no trouble at all with sts getting caught. I was, like you, concerned, because when I was about 1/2 done, I took it with me several times and really regretted moving it around, in and out of a bag, etc. Several sts did get caught on a bracelet, on one needle, etc. and I spent time adjusting and one particular st never looked right. However, the good news is: Just as Jane mentioned that mistakes blend in, so too does a st that isn't perfect! So I wouldn't worry about a problem with wearing it. But I won't carry one on the needles with me again.

==Mary
Go to Top of Page

Karen K
New Pal

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  1:53:49 PM  Show Profile Send Karen K a Private Message
Hooray I'm finished! Quite magnificent if I do say so myself. A word on finishing...I followed the pattern by picking up stitches and three rows garter stitch-however...yikes, the opening was WAY too small-couldn't get it on over my shoulders (guess I've never been great with picking up stitches). I found the problem to be with the lovely, but pesky, long drop rows. It really is difficult to find a stitch to pick up and as a result I didn't pick up enough. (I came up with about 90 stitches-btw). Not a problem though because after I ripped out the neckline and tried it on without a finished edge, I loved it. That's right, no finished edge! It looks totally okay by me-and less work to boot. See what you all think. (Sorry Jane: I don't mean to change the pattern).
Photos to follow (after I buy a killer tank to wear underneath in just the right shade of teal!)
Karen
Go to Top of Page

lford
Chatty Knitter

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  8:21:00 PM  Show Profile Send lford a Private Message
Well, I reached the center of the body last night. Early tomorrow morning while everyone else sleeps in (or at least leaves me alone) I will add a drop stitch row for the center. By the time the rest of the family is up I should be well on my way to the second sleeve.

I have been thinking about finishing technique and reading posts here. I think I may use crochet to finish the edges. I'm much more comfortable with crochet than with picking up stitches and knitting. I also think, if I'm careful about the yarn I choose to use, I can camouflage a lot of those loose ends.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

hypchick
New Pal

23 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2006 :  04:10:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit hypchick's Homepage Send hypchick a Private Message
O-o-o-o! ...I just had a wonderful thought, those loose ends can be camoflaged into the added edging! ...Or, duh, is that what the plan was all the while? ...Ingenious! Gosh, ...have I kept all the new starts on the same side? WOW! I just learned something new! I am already thinking of doing another, in shades of beigerustgold and a tiny bit of gold glitz because I have a stash of yarn kinda like that. I even have an old silk shirt of DH to cut up for the perfect shades of color. I love the stribbons! I plan to use them a lot more in the future.

I am glad to hear that wearing doesn't equal total destruction, and constant rearrangement of yarns. Didn'tcha get lots of compliments Mary? I can't wait to wear mine out. I am just going to go and do lots of outrageous posing everywhere! I too decided it was time to stop transporting my work. I am now ready for the count-down and the other sleeve. The suspense of the dwindling yarn is an interesting phenomena! Is there a formula for gauging yarn in a project? I can manage everything except a beautiful hank of ribbon that I bought on vacation. I got the last two hanks, and I used it in the cuff. I am not beyond an improvise if forced, but I thought it might anchor the balance to have both cuffs the same.

Mardi
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2006 :  09:48:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
You'll be amused by this, no doubt (heavens knows I am), but I'm quite smitten by my latest butter yellow and turquoise shrug. I made this one to sell but now I'm having 'not so fast' thoughts. I made it shorter in the arms than the others and less drapey for a smaller-sized person (unlike myself) but was shocked to find it quite flattering even on me. At the moment, I'm getting experimental with the edging. I thought I might knit a fairly elaborate lace edging but calmer thoughts may yet prevail. A crochet edge may win out, yet. It's so much easier than knitting one.

I'm doing an entry on picking up stitches on the Knitalong site this weekend. There ARE ways to accommodate those drop stitches. And, Karen, I've made one without a finished edge and thought it look quite perfect, too. Everyone who's finished their shrugs and taken them for test drives are getting rave reviews. Wait to you see the photos of the finished pictures.

And here I am wanting to knit another but I simply can't. I'm busy designing fall patterns that I'm hoping you'll all love just as much as this. I must focus. Discipline, Jane, discipline....
Go to Top of Page

hypchick
New Pal

23 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  04:10:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit hypchick's Homepage Send hypchick a Private Message
Ah yes, those other lives.... Wouldn't it be lovely to be able to put our lives together the way we do our shrugs. ..Or maybe that's the irony, perhaps God is just knitting away, makes her mistakes, sheds a few tears, thunders and lightnings a few curses, rips a few thigs up and begins again with a new yarn. ...Another novelty if you please!

Mardi
Go to Top of Page

marybk
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2006 :  12:24:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit marybk's Homepage Send marybk a Private Message
I live near Washington, DC, and got the ultimate compliment today. I wore my shrug today and one person said if it were for sale at a boutique in Georgetown, it would cost $400! I have to say, I think she's right (so long as no one looked inside, as I must admit to some messy ends and pesky stray threads). Most people still think of knitting as dull-old lady-rocking chair stuff, not stylish and creative!

==Mary
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.75 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.