Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Knitalongs
 Watergarden Shrug Knitalong
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

hypchick
New Pal

23 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  03:00:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit hypchick's Homepage Send hypchick a Private Message
I can't wait to begin again, with just about 5 inches to go. I had to replenish a critical yarn yesterday. Today feels like a good day to maybe finish. But, so many other things to do, ...sigh. I have to say, reaching the goal will be very satisfying, but like the saying goes, ...the path, or how one gets there, is what really counts. I have learned so much, in a relatively painless way. Thanks Jane! If it weren't for the knitalong, I might be procrastinating, with a wonderful bunch of yarns staring up at me, ...shivering in dread of being tied up into something quite boring. Now, I will go forth boldly, never again doing something average, conservative, and lost in a goal of accumulating more stitch how-to's just to keep up with someone else's idea of what a sweater should look like!
Go to Top of Page

PatWhoKnits
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  05:19:25 AM  Show Profile Send PatWhoKnits a Private Message
Amen, sister! I so agree with you, Hypchick. No matter whether it's a sweater or shrug to knit, or a garden to plant, or a job to work, we create so much deeper when we carve new paths. Too much we get carried away into the ideas of others.

Jane, you have modeled well. Our yarns and stitches reveal what we personally brought to our pieces--each one a unique signature of our own. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

hypchick
New Pal

23 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  07:57:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit hypchick's Homepage Send hypchick a Private Message
Well, yesterday wasn't the day to finish. I ended up ripping back to accomodate the the yarn I had to get. I was in the middle of the drop-stitches, and adding on there just didn't get it. So, maybe today. What is everyone else going to do next? Did we all neglect other things and must give the knitting a break for a while? ...Or are you already jumping into another project? I suspect that most of us in this knit-a-long are not only very creative, but also a bit rebelious, ...deviants, looking for the satisfaction to be gained from the unique and unexpected. So, what next?

.....Mardi
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  11:04:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
Hmmmm, well, Mardi, if I might suggest...I have a new wrap pattern to be posted at the early part of next week, a true Free Range wrap with softly undulating edges and a veritable feast of fibers in between followed two weeks later by the "Pralines&Cream" wrap, a near edible mix of vanilla cottons with rivulets of caramel and toasted nuts in between.
And you're right, if I were to profile the knitters drawn to my patterns, the description would unfold something like this: 'independent, creative, adventurous, exploratory, free-willed, drawn to anything that appeals to the senses.' In other words, not chickens, free range or otherwise, and certainly not sheep: more like exotic birds of paradise prone to occasional off-grid flights of fancy!
Go to Top of Page

marybk
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  07:41:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit marybk's Homepage Send marybk a Private Message
Gina, the advice from you posted on Jane's web site is excellent.

So far as what I'm knitting next: I made a shrug from some Lion's Homespun, beige cuffs and rest off-white, just to take to work in an exceedingly cold office building. Because I was using only these two yarns, I decided to knit the sleeves in the round. My office mate, who is now learning to knit, was ecstatic. She loved it! So I took it off and gave it to her. I started one exactly the same for myself last night.

==Mary
Go to Top of Page

hypchick
New Pal

23 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  07:51:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit hypchick's Homepage Send hypchick a Private Message
Jane, I had a feeling you wouldn't disappoint us! I am finding that a small project or two on the side helps to move through the larger one more easily. I have done a few quicky (but unique!) scarves while working on the shrug. I started when the shrug became too long and awkward to transport, and I also found that when I was really frustrated with some vignette, it was helpful to set it aside for a day or so, and let the frustration dissipate. What ever I start next, I had better be using what I carried back from vacation!

Mardi
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  11:09:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
Hi, everyone. Check out my main journal page for a shrug collage fashioned from a few randomly selected photos. And, the moment you've all been waiting for:I drew the lucky name. After writing each shrug-picture-submitter's name on a piece of paper and dropping them all into a bowl, I drew out MARY (MaryBK)! Congratulations, Mary!
http://www.janethornley.com/journal_knitters.php
Go to Top of Page

marybk
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2006 :  08:05:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit marybk's Homepage Send marybk a Private Message
I am incredibly pleased and, I must admit, surprised by having my name drawn. My kids tease me about how unlucky I am at winning anything so I immediately emailed them. Then I downloaded Jane's Scotian Meadows pattern, with the idea of using my new yarn to make this gorgeous wrap.

While everyone can't win the yarn, I think we have all won a great deal. Finding out about Jane and her designs. Enjoying and learning from the posts here. Hearing friends' comments at such a lovely result. Getting creative juices flowing by seeing and learning what Jane and others have done.

It's been a great experience.

==Mary
Go to Top of Page

hypchick
New Pal

23 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2006 :  04:30:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit hypchick's Homepage Send hypchick a Private Message
Well Mary.

You have picked a gorgeous pattern to do! ...I WAS thinking about the Bolero vest, and then I checked Jane's website to see what this Scotian Meadows newcomer is all about. It's another absolutely wonderful design! I want to do them all! Thanks for the knitalong Jane
........Mardi
Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2006 :  10:35:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
Congratulations Mary! I've got to get back to mine now that graduation is over.

~~~~Jamye

I don't have a problem with authority, I just have a problem with people telling me what to do.
Go to Top of Page

hypchick
New Pal

23 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2006 :  04:21:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit hypchick's Homepage Send hypchick a Private Message
I have yet to sew mine up, and bind the edge, but I would love to hear what comments those of you who have finished and worn your garments out have heard. I am fascinated by the way the yarns "talk" in this shrug. The eyelash ripples like long grasses in a gentle breeze, and the sparkles catch the eye, pulling you into a fantasy world nourished by interplaying colors and textures. It seems to me that everyone might relate to this differently, and would have their own feelings to express.

Mardi
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  04:52:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
Mardi, you're a writer, too!
I've been receiving lots of emails asking for another knitalong, which I'd love to do but I'm going away for the month of July so the next one will be a fall knitalong. Does anybody have thoughts on the kind of project they'd like for an autumn fiber adventure excursion? Of course, the Scotian Meadow wrap is trans-seasonal so that might be a consideration plus I have many more designs coming, including a loose cardigan, a couple of vests, a non-poncho top and some lovely semi-wrap type scarves, each one a slightly different approach to combining fiber and color in artful ways.
Go to Top of Page

hypchick
New Pal

23 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  07:29:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit hypchick's Homepage Send hypchick a Private Message
Well now, I do love the Scotian Meadows wrap, and have thoughts of adding that to the "to do" list already in my head. I'd like to use yarns, patterns, and embellishments that remind me of a very special mountain retreat that I haven't been to in a long time. However, after I am finished with my shrug, a few scarves would be nice to learn a few more techniques to work with these patterns. Getting used to the specialty yarns takes a lot more concentration and I did so much taking out and beginning over from various start points because I couldn't figure out how to pick up a dropped yarn in the tangle of unusual stitches, or the stitch just didn't flow the way I thought it should with the rest of the pattern. Even though I thoroughly enjoyed the entire project, and it was a fun way to learn, I was really glad when I finally got it off the needles! Now, I just have to sew it together and add the knit edge to stabilize it.

Who knows, Jane! By the time you are ready, there may even be another project or two to add to your offerings. Depending on where you will be off to, I am sure you will find a lot of inspiring sights! I don't know about the others, but I can feel the excitment building in anticipation of what you you will be posting on your return.

I plan to use the next few weeks challenging myself to explore free knitting in small projects, focusing on getting to know yarns and stitches better, and adding icord and embellishments. ...I saw some very cool beads that were fired ceramics, that made me want to make my own.

Mardi
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2006 :  10:53:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
While I'm gone, I will still be posting to my blog, including photos knitters have sent me of things they've knitted using my designs. Did you see the latest completed shrug added to the Knitalong site?
Go to Top of Page

hypchick
New Pal

23 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2006 :  04:45:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit hypchick's Homepage Send hypchick a Private Message
Jane I check your site every day! The shrugs are like recipes from the kitchen, ...every cook has a different result. They are all so wonderful. I'm not sure mine is finished yet. It's about the embellishments. I guess a nice thing about beads, etc., is that they can go on whenever!

I was just reading another forum about "hip and funky," and noticed your post in it. Best to keep a low profile there! Those knitters are "mos'def" not. You can call me a hip and funky ol' babe any time! I once told my youngest son who was helping me car shop, (and in his mind I should have purchased a Corvette convertable so he could drive it of course): " I think I will buy one when I am 65, ...dye my hair purple and have the car painted to match,...so I can be really cool driving around cruisin' for guys!" Now that I am very happily remarried, I don't think I'll be cruisin, but you never know about the purple hair! And who knows, I may opt for a moped the way gas prices are going up.

I keep drooling over the Scotian Meadow wrap. It is definitly "sa-w-e-e-e-et!" Trouble is, I want it to have sleeves, and side seams. ...You know, so it doesn't fall askew when I am out sky diving and rock climbing. (LOL)

Mardi
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  12:26:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
Mardi, I've decided that if 'hip and funky' doesn't fit me at a certain age then 'over the top' and unabashedly expressive does. We creative types get to be eccentric once we stop cruisin'. By the way, I'm busily designing a shrug-like wrap -- with sleeves-- for sky-diving and general free-form flights of all kinds. Several other designs will be posted before I get it perfected, though. Have to take it out for a test flight first!
Go to Top of Page

hypchick
New Pal

23 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  2:17:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit hypchick's Homepage Send hypchick a Private Message
Love it, Jane! I wore my shrug out in indecent heat today, ...just because. One of my clients, a retired art instructor who is married to a retired art department head of our local university, absolutely gushed over it. Her approval was greatly valued, and as designer, I pass the comps along to you. Even though our heat is starting to be oppressive with added humidity, the shrug was quite comfortable. It's unbelievably light and airy, quite do-able for summer wear. Something fun I discovered when I got outdoors: the Flutter eyelash not only blows delightfully in the slightest breeze, but it also shines like a metalic.

Mardi
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  12:18:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
Mardi, isn't that eyelash stunning? I tell you, eyelash is vastly under rated as a subtle eye treat. It's true, the shrug is so wearable, regardless of the heat. Even when it's hot, air conditioning can launch unexpected attacks. Imagine a holiday version, if you can bear to think that far in advance. It makes a most lucious festive topper when knit in darker shades limned with sparkle....
Go to Top of Page

hypchick
New Pal

23 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  04:12:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit hypchick's Homepage Send hypchick a Private Message
Oh my (swoon), ...who would need a Christmas tree?!
Go to Top of Page

lford
Chatty Knitter

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  04:27:05 AM  Show Profile Send lford a Private Message
Hi everyone. I am almost finished with the second sleeve and took the shrug to my favorite yarn shop (Sea Needles in Bethany Beach, DE) for advice about the sleeve seams. Got lots of oohs and ahs. Gave credit to you for the design, Jane. I am so pleased with the results, even thought I found a dropped stitch which I will marked and will fix as soon as I get home again. I agree about the eyelash. Also, I used some Judi & Co 'Reflections' which has small sequins in it. The effect is very subtle but lovely when the light catches it.

I plan to knit the Road to Indigo Vest next. I will be waiting to purchase yarn on my trip to NYC in the fall. Although I love Sea Needles, I feel I need lots of yarn to choose from and want to see and touch it before purchasing. I plan to stick with the main color scheme Jane used (blues) but abhor purple in anything other than small amounts so will make some substitutions.

I think we have all learned so much during the Shrug KAL. New stitches and perspectives about knitting aside, the most important thing I gained is the realization that every stitch does not have to be perfect. I am a perfectionist my nature and have a very difficult time letting go of something that is just not right. As a result, I spend lots of time ripping back and frustrated. Productivity goes right out the window along with a lot of the enjoyment I would otherwise experience working on a project. I feel as if a weight has been lifted from my shoulders. This may sound very dramatic to many of you but I kid you not, it is a HUGE relief. THANK YOU Jane for helping me gain the confidence to come to this realization!

Linda
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.