Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 Knitting in the middle of the night...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kristin
Seriously Hooked

USA
606 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2002 :  11:24:28 AM  Show Profile Send Kristin a Private Message
Have you ever had a night where you just can't sleep no matter what you do? I had one like that last night. For some reason, I was so AWAKE that I never went to bed. I figured, I'd knit and start getting sleepy. Wrong! I wound up finishing the front & half the sleeve to a sweater I'm working on. I've been awake for more than 24 hours now and I still don't feel sleepy. (Ask me again later, during the Super Bowl...LOL )

I had so much fun looking at my knitting books, looking at my yarn, planning projects & just having quiet, uniterrupted knitting time. I think that was the only "guilt-free" knitting time I've had in years. (I have a 3 year old so time to myself is scarce).

I know I'm going to pay for it later for staying awake so long, but I feel so GREAT today! It's like I got all my knitting satisfaction that I missed during the week. Knitting is truly therapy sometimes

Edited by - Kristin on 02/03/2002 11:25:59

lakotagal5
Warming Up

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2002 :  11:36:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit lakotagal5's Homepage Send lakotagal5 a Private Message
kristin,it must be something around lol. i woke at 4:10 this am, could not go back to sleep so i course i knitted.prolly fall asleep during the game.hope not don't want to be up again at 4am.i do however sometimes stay up and knit till about three.

jeri
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2002 :  12:32:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
For me it's getting up way too early that is sometimes a problem. I'm naturally a morning person anyway but there are times when I wake up at 3;30 and thank goodness for all the wip's lying about the house.

Go to Top of Page

lakotagal5
Warming Up

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2002 :  2:35:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit lakotagal5's Homepage Send lakotagal5 a Private Message
Boy Oh Boy, am i glad to hear i am not alone out here knitting in the middle of the nite.maybe if i read a dull book i would fall asleep lol.Naw, i would rather knit,gotta get that stash under control.dh wants the dale of norway 2002 team sweater,that should be a good project for the middle of the nite huh?

jeri
Go to Top of Page

e_looped
Seriously Hooked

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2002 :  08:20:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit e_looped's Homepage Send e_looped a Private Message
I've spent many nights on my couch because I've been up until all hours of the night knitting and fallen asleep. Usually I'm in the middle of a row and my knitting is lying on my lap. A couple of times I've woken up with it still in one hand. A lot of times it's ended up underneath a cat who has decided that I'm the best pillow.
I have stayed up as long as I can to finish... one more row, which as we all know ends up being several rows.

erica :)

Life is like knitting sometimes it's smooth, sometimes it's bumpy and sometimes it's the ultimate frustration.
Go to Top of Page

lakotagal5
Warming Up

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2002 :  08:56:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit lakotagal5's Homepage Send lakotagal5 a Private Message
Oh yes Erica,i have done that to.or work JUST one more set of the pattern.but as long as we don't impale our selves on the needles (ouch ) it is a good way to pass the nite.

jeri
Go to Top of Page

Capucine45
Warming Up

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2002 :  12:10:01 PM  Show Profile Send Capucine45 a Private Message
I'm so glad to hear that other people are night owls too! I'm always up late anyway, but I was perfectly certain that nobody else in the world stayed up until 2:30 AM just because they wanted to finish "one more row . . ."

Heather

Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2002 :  2:32:25 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
Here's the problem I have: I have to force myself to go to bed at night. Then for a while, I lie there thinking about my knitting sitting on the coffee table...waiting for me. I have to literally not get up and go knit some more! I think I could probably stay up all night knitting. When I first go to bed, I'm so stimulated I can't sleep! (It reminds me of "young love", the kind that keeps you awake at night...)

My question is, does knitting affect anyone else like this? Will it calm down after a while? Or am I doomed to single handedly keep the Tylenol PM people in business?

chris (yawning....)

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

lakotagal5
Warming Up

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2002 :  2:41:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit lakotagal5's Homepage Send lakotagal5 a Private Message
Chris,to answer you question, yes, no, and yes. lol

jeri
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2002 :  2:42:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
You aren't the only one!!! I read once about someone who couldn't knit with red yarn because that would keep her awake (was that here?) but I'm working on something with fairly muted blues and dark colors, and I keep telling myself "Just one more row" ... of course, I'm knitting circular, and it's SO easy to *oops!* miss the stopping point and keep knitting... so of course I have to keep going until the next time and *oops! Did it again!!!*

I actually had to move the knitting out of my bedroom, because it was too easy to roll over and pull it into bed when I woke up in the middle of the night (which I do frequently) If I have to step out of the warm blankets, at least my cold feet will try to offer a reason why I should stay in bed and try to go back to sleep rather than walking to the living room to knit...

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

Kristin
Seriously Hooked

USA
606 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2002 :  3:06:33 PM  Show Profile Send Kristin a Private Message
Chris, I can TOTALLY relate to what you said. Even when I feel physically tired, my brain just will NOT shut off at night. I have to get into bed about a half hour before my husband, otherwise he'll fall asleep before me and if I hear him snore once, I can't sleep at all. It's like I can't fall asleep unless my brain's done "clicking".

My husband says it's because I'm "addicted" to knitting. Hey, some people get their fix in less than legal ways. At least mine is productive, right?

Go to Top of Page

e_looped
Seriously Hooked

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2002 :  3:38:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit e_looped's Homepage Send e_looped a Private Message
I have suffered with insomnia for about two years now. Knitting relaxes me but it doesn't relax me in a way that makes me sleepy. The winter months are hardest because I would love to knit all night and day. I think I would get lonely, but at this second, I wouldn't miss my job too much. I have never taken my knitting into my bedroom because I know that I REALLY wouldn't get any sleep. I'm guaranteed to keep the sleeping pill people in business for a long time - especially since our entire culture is set up for those morning people. Sorry to all you morning people, but I really think we need to be more accepting of people who can't get up early in the mornings. It's not because we're lazy, despite what many think. My mom can't understand how I can stay up until 3am. She can't stay up past 10pm most nights. The "one more row" syndrome has kept me up many nights - but not because I'm so determined to do one more row but because I have to do what Chris says - I have to force myself to go to sleep.

erica :)

Life is like knitting sometimes it's smooth, sometimes it's bumpy and sometimes it's the ultimate frustration.
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2002 :  3:47:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I think society is happiest with the type of person that struggles to get to work at nine, but can do it. I'm such a morning person that I wake up quite happily on my own at around 5... problem being that I currently work evenings, which means my last two hours on the air feel like WAY past my bedtime! People can't understand why I can be so perky at 6 am, but don't want to leave the house after 8pm because I'll be too worn out for the next week!

Here's to those who sleep against the norm...

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2002 :  05:05:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Oh dear, Rose by any - I too am a crack-o-dawn baby, a dawn prowler, a lark. (secretly I believe that we morning people are superior but of course I don't say so...ahem. And I'm married to a night owl. We solved our couple time problem this way. At about 5 I get up and make coffee and read my e-mail, walk out for the paper, write in my journal, knit...and about 7:30 or 8 I take the paper and his first cup of coffee, sometimes a second cup for me, up to dh. While he slowly wakes and sips, I read him whatever I think is interesting in the paper. At night, long about 9, certainly before 10, I go up to bed and he joins me, reading out loud to me what ever book we are into at the moment, till I fall asleep. Then he gets up, gets dressed and does his stuff. It gives us to great shots at quality time. We did not discover this routine till we were alone in the house -one of the few perks of the empty nest.

I used to play in a symphony and when people ask me if I miss it I always laugh and say "nope. I can't stand night work".

good knitting to all the larks and all the nightengales

Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2002 :  1:45:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
It's interesting how different activities affect different people. My housemate says knitting relaxes and unwinds her. For me, knitting is energizing and engaging - I have to stop knitting about an hour before i have to go to bed, or i'll be too wound up to sleep.

Go to Top of Page

knitfanatic
Chatty Knitter

Canada
160 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2002 :  3:34:56 PM  Show Profile Send knitfanatic a Private Message
I knit in bed to help me go to sleep, but only very easy projects so there is no way to mess it up if I get to tired. I also get up early to knit when I'm almost done a project and can't wait to finish it and of course start a new project.

Go to Top of Page

Steph
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2002 :  6:09:50 PM  Show Profile Send Steph a Private Message
I rarely stay up late to knit because I am *not* a night owl and once I'm tired, that's it, go to bed right now!

But I do occasionally wake up in the middle of the night and knit or look at knitting books. I remember the day I got laid off--I couldn't sleep the entire night--I got up and worked on an intarsia Christmas stocking for my sister!

I *am* one of the morning people and love to get up early in the morning and drink my coffee and knit while the dog and the fiance are still snoozing!

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2002 :  6:10:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Hmmm..this is forum has got me thinking. The only project so far that has really caused me to stay up late, doing one more row, etc. is the socks that I recently learned to do. Just got to finish the heel, or the heel turn. I know I cannot leave some parts of it undone overnight...I'd never figure out where I was the next day. I taught two friends to knit today! A mother and daughter. I went to visit at the daughter's house 'cause she just had surgery, and her mom said to bring my knitting. When I said why? She said so I could teach them...The daughter, about 40, has 4 sons, and she told me her grandma pronounced her hopeless years ago in regards to learning to knit. Ha, I showed her! They both did well, and I teased them that the daughter was better. We had fun, and I actually got to knit with other knitters...great! Books are more apt to keep me awake, and my dh gets disgruntled about that, so, I have to be careful about that! Barb

Edited by - schoolmama on 02/07/2002 18:12:50
Go to Top of Page

mrsskala
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2002 :  6:28:18 PM  Show Profile Send mrsskala a Private Message
I'm so happy to read all the messages on this topic! I agree with them all...my hubby is a night person and I'm a day person although thru the years with an empty nest I don't get up at the crack of dawn anymore. By about 7:30 or so. I take my coffee and check my mail and reply to who ever. I get what ever housework done by noon, have lunch and (try) to spend the afternoons knitting and listening to a book on tape. I do dinner from 4:30 -7 with preparation and clean up then knit again thru the evening. And I've had LOTS of nights where I've stayed up WAY past my usual time of 11 to "finish one row!"
What no one has mentioned that I wonder is does anyone but me DREAM of knitting...working projects in your sleep? I do it all the time...any of you?
Martha in cool Florida

Go to Top of Page

clariestar
Warming Up

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2002 :  11:14:28 PM  Show Profile Send clariestar a Private Message
Oh, Martha, I dream about my projects too! When I first learned to turn the heel of a sock, I dreamt about turning heels for three nights in a row. The funny thing is, I'd been having a hard time figuring it out, but after I'd knit in my sleep for a few nights, turning the heels of my socks became very easy (and fun). If only I could dream out my term papers!

If it's worth doing, it's worth ripping out twice to make it right.

Edited by - claryjay on 02/07/2002 23:15:37
Go to Top of Page

gaelle
New Pal

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2002 :  08:11:12 AM  Show Profile Send gaelle a Private Message
I knit at night but not too late because like some of you others, it relaxes me but doesn't make me sleepy. I am definitely a lark (I sing too!) but usually don't knit in the morning because the 'one more row' habit makes me late for work. I'm looking forward to retirement in a couple of years so I'll be able to knit more, and more often.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?