Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 Knitting in the middle of the night...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

mom.inc
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2002 :  08:16:19 AM  Show Profile Send mom.inc a Private Message
For all of you who are up half the night knitting, there are those of us who wake early and actually do knit into the day. I'm generally to bed by 8:30-9 pm, but often must be up to provide day care for the "little fingers" grandson at 3:45 am. Knitting keeps things quiet while everyone else sleeps, and I accomplish much. Right now doing charity sock hats with small balls of yarn. Find it difficult to work larger projects with those little fingers around (they're so helpful, you know...needles and work get picked up and loved, needles pulled and "worked," etc. And, he must try on every hat I finish. They all net grins and "proud to wear" satisfaction!) I have, however, been known to knit by the light of the full moon, and actually knit whenever and wherever I can, including travel. Keeps the miles going smoother!!! Marian

Marian Kinkead
Go to Top of Page

crystalhaze
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2002 :  08:41:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit crystalhaze's Homepage Send crystalhaze a Private Message
i always knit till the wee hours! i work until ten most nights, get home at 10:30, and knit to help me unwind. i get relaxed, but not sleepy. for all of you that have trouble sleeping at night, have you ever tried meditation? i know alot of people think of it as something just for old monks on tibet, but i use it to help me sleep at night. my head is usually racing around, no matter how tired my body is. i count one, as a breath in, and two as i breath out, thinking only about the numbers and my lungs. in no time, i'm zonked out!

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2002 :  08:46:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I read a study once that said that people who chose "creative" careers tended to remember dreams/nightmares more frequently than those who didn't, and women even more than men...

I'm a female who has been heavily involved in theatre and music my whole life - and rarely make it three nights without remembering a vivid dream or nightmare. And I've had many a knitting dream!

Knitting is definitely creative - wonder if we're affecting the curve!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

knitfanatic
Chatty Knitter

Canada
160 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2002 :  09:02:53 AM  Show Profile Send knitfanatic a Private Message
It so great to see so many people who will stay up to finish that one last row or get started on a project first thing in the morning. I thought I was the only one. I sometimes also read through my many knitting books/magazines looking for new projects to start and then that is all I think of all night long. Mind you in my dreams the projects always go smoothly and are finished in record time.

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2002 :  11:34:33 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I have frequently fallen asleep with my knitting in my hands (I spend most of my day in a hospital bed) and usually wake up and haven't even dropped a stitch, but one evening, when I woke up, my granddaughter (13) who was watching TV in my room, told me to count the rows of my knitting because she thought I had been knitting and sleeping. I did and I had 3 extra rows......LOL. Luckily it was straight stockinette knitted in the round. I don't think I could handle much of a pattern while sleeping.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

tighniamh
Warming Up

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2002 :  12:21:31 PM  Show Profile Send tighniamh a Private Message
I have to agree with Lissa, I could not get to sleep last night because I was thinking about my newest WIP, which I had just started. I think I may have to move my knitting out of the bedroom also. Its too tempting having it in my nightstand.

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2002 :  12:33:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Okay, Fran, you're making the rest of us Multi-taskers look bad with your knitting while you sleep!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

lakotagal5
Warming Up

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2002 :  1:03:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit lakotagal5's Homepage Send lakotagal5 a Private Message
To All Night Owls,with the 2002 winter games starting tonight we can stay up really late and knit.I started the Dale of Norway team sweater.Now I hope to have it done by the next winter games lol. Jeri.

jeri
Go to Top of Page

cjreber
Warming Up

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2002 :  6:21:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit cjreber's Homepage Send cjreber a Private Message
Hi all,
I am a night owl, and I rationalize that as long as I get 61/2 to 7 hours sleep, I'll be fine at work - so I'm usually knitting right up till I go to bed! Here's the funny thing though - a few weeks ago I had headed up a little earlier to "hit the hay" because I was pretty tired and I stopped for a minute to check on all of you and see what the new messages were - I fell asleep in front of the computer!! So you see, it's not only knitting, but you have a calming affect on other knitters! LOL.
Cyndy

Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2002 :  9:31:30 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message

Until this past December I used to go to bed fairly early, around 10 p.m. or so, but I was working on an afghan for my mother and trying to get it done in time for Christmas.....I didn't make it, but I got into a habit of staying up late trying to!

Her birthday is December 31st, so I tried for that date....still couldn't finish it. Now mind you I had about 5 other things going at the same time and with all the preparations, etc. for Christmas, it was a hopeless case. Bottom line though, now staying up late knitting has already become a habit (funny how they sneak up on you). Now, I have to force myself to get to bed by 11:30, midnight, or later and then I toss and turn thinking about what I was just knitting!

Yes, I did finish the afghan as a New Years gift and my mom loved it...but now I am hooked and it probably won't be long before I am getting up in the middle of the night to work on "just one more row" because I can't sleep anyway!

Regards, Patience
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2002 :  08:49:22 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
When I need to sleep and can't, I limit myself to "boring" knitting which I define as something I'm really not interested in doing, like a plain old stockinette cap for no one in particular. I always have something like this around to help me sleep, not the exciting knitting like the Faroese shawl I am working on, or the lace doily, or the lace scarf, or the hood, or my granddaughter's sweater, or my foster granddaughter's sweater, or............
Incidently, I still don't quite believe my granddaughter, surely I must have lost count of the rows, not done them while sleeping.....LOL

Go to Top of Page

fufu_gina
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2002 :  11:08:48 AM  Show Profile Send fufu_gina a Private Message
i've lost a lot of sleep knitting. but, i've also found that knitting can help me sleep by working on a blanket that is large enough to comfortably cover me, so i get nice and relaxed and drift off by being snuggled up toasty warm in the blanket. in fact, that's why i started the one i'm working on now. about 18 more inches and it should put me to sleep.

hugs n stuff, gina
Go to Top of Page

CatherineM
Permanent Resident

USA
3363 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2002 :  3:05:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit CatherineM's Homepage Send CatherineM a Private Message
Another middle of the night knitter here - I've been an insomniac for years, probably has something to do with working in the legal field, I dunno. But I really don't mind - sometimes when I get up at 3:30 a.m., it's nice to go make a cup of tea and sit down with my knitting and TV Land or some other brain-soothing programming. If I knit before bed, I find I stay up later, it tends to stimulate me. It's strange, now that I think about it - how can the same thing be relaxing and mentally refreshing, at the same time? But it is! (If more men knew how good knitting is, knitting stores would be the size of Home Depot.)

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2002 :  6:54:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Ahhhh... a knitting store the size of home depot... lined with fireplaces and big comfy chairs (complete with snuggly cats!) and tons and tons of gorgeous, yummy yarns... and fresh pots of tea and coffee at all times...

<sigh> I'll dream well tonight!

Go to Top of Page

e_looped
Seriously Hooked

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2002 :  7:53:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit e_looped's Homepage Send e_looped a Private Message
A Home Depot-sized knitting store! I can't even imagine. "Customer assistance in bamboo needles." Whole walls of bamboo needles in every size imaginable. "Customer assistance in DK wool." I always imagine taking a significant other to the yarn store and them having the same reaction as the woman in the Circuit City ads.

erica :)

Life is like knitting sometimes it's smooth, sometimes it's bumpy and sometimes it's the ultimate frustration.

Edited by - e_looped on 02/19/2002 19:55:05

Edited by - e_looped on 02/19/2002 19:57:10
Go to Top of Page

klokie
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2002 :  3:22:16 PM  Show Profile Send klokie a Private Message
I have this problem with staying up to knit or to get on the internet and looking up knitting sites and catalogs! I can't stop!!! The other night I didn't go to bed until 3:45am and last night I couldn't stop until 3:30am! UGH But then it's the only time I have that my 4 kids are asleep (boy-16; boy-14; girl-4; boy-2) and my hubby is asleep so I can look through the web sites without interruption!!! Not very many times that happens!
Go to Top of Page

knitfanatic
Chatty Knitter

Canada
160 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2002 :  5:58:14 PM  Show Profile Send knitfanatic a Private Message
WOW!!!!!!! LYS the size of Home Depot, now wouldn't that be a grand idea. Maybe some LYS who are very small, but close enough would think of pooling their resources and start one up. Maybe next to an actual Home Depot too. You could drop the husband off there and head over to it. Mind you nothing would ever get accomplished in our homes if one of those popped up. But it certainly would be an experience wall to wall yarn and needles and all kinds of new knitting gadgets.

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2002 :  7:30:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Best yet, they could put a Home Depot store front up, have lots of lumber and power tools in the front, and then a separate section behind closed doors with the yarn shop - comfy chairs, fresh brewed tea and gorgeous yarn...

My fiance would be caught up in the power tools, he'd never even notice I was gone. The best of both worlds.

Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2002 :  3:20:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
Oh no! You can't combine a yarn shop and home depot! I am the fixer-upper here in my house. I can spend almost as much time around the power tools and shower fixtures as I can the cashmere... and don't even let me near the garden department!!!!

If someone ever does this they better rent out rooms at the back because I would never leave!

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

Dot
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2002 :  8:32:49 PM  Show Profile Send Dot a Private Message
I started knitting in December and found knitting so relaxing that I was sure it would help me sleep. Wrong. It's also exhilarating. I thought it was just beginner's euphoria but reading that you experienced knitters exhibit the same "just one more row" syndrome that I do, I wonder if I'll ever sleep again!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?