Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitterly Happenings and Events
 Maryland Sheep and Wool 03
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  05:43:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Wow - if last year was fun I don't know what word to describe this year's event. I've written some about it on my blog, but there is no way I can express all the excitement and pleasure such a gathering offers.

The best part of all was gathering with the KR folk. Lissa, Pat, Shawn and Shawn with new friends, Jen and Marfa, Anita, Rebecca, Edie... And this year people asked "what are those little scarf pins for?" and we proudly said Knitters Review dot com! Read all about it in this summer's Interweave Knits! Marfa even remembered to wear her Knit Happens T-shirt.

Imagine the delight we felt when we found those Knitters Review Boutique cards for sale at the show! And don't you wish you had tried one of those deep fried Hostess Twinkees? I was too chicken, but some folks nearby were raving about them. well -maybe if I were 30 years younger.

Hope more KR folk get together today and tell us all about it.

Bess
http://likethequeen.blogspot.com

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
1953 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  1:23:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
Bess, glad you started a post about this. What a blast I had w/you all! And how terrific to see the Retreat folks!
It was so cool to see all the booths, the yarns, the wools, the goodies - Calgon, take me away! I want more knitting time.
Clara, the Knit Happens t-shirt received so many compliments. People stopped us as we were walking along to say how much they liked it! I wore my denim shirt w/the top part unbuttoned so the saying was visible.
Can a bumper sticker be far behind?!!

Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
1953 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  1:23:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
Bess, glad you started a post about this. What a blast I had w/you all! And how terrific to see the Retreat folks!
It was so cool to see all the booths, the yarns, the wools, the goodies - Calgon, take me away! I want more knitting time.
Clara, the Knit Happens t-shirt received so many compliments. People stopped us as we were walking along to say how much they liked it! I wore my denim shirt w/the top part unbuttoned so the saying was visible.
Can a bumper sticker be far behind?!!

Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  5:33:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
Where should I begin?? I had such a great time! I was able to attend both days, so I could actually get away from the shops for a while and take advantage of some of the other things to see and do.
I watched part of the sheep to shawl contest - boy, does that make me feel like I've only broken through the surface of a craft! I listened to a talk on looms (no, I don't weave, but wanted to learn something about it), listened to a talk about what a great fiber wool is - to spin, weave, knit, dye, and probably some other things, too. Her excitement was palpable! and contagious. There were people demonstrating every aspect of fiber from growing on the animal to end products, and most didn't mind at all sharing their knowledge and enthusiasm.
Then there were the shops - every thing in one place made it both very hard to settle on a few things, and easy to part with your money. There were looms, spinning wheels, rovings, fleeces, commercially produced yarn, privately spun/dyed/woven/knitted products, and all of the tools to "do it yourself" if you choose.
I had a nice conversation with Lucy Neatby, who happened to be visiting at a booth I was in, and some great conversations with other knitting/fiber lovers like myself. I guess I had better stop here, but I just couldn't help going on a bit - and I can't wait for next year. Maybe I won't - the NY S & W is in October... Still dreaming...Linda

Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  5:33:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
Where should I begin?? I had such a great time! I was able to attend both days, so I could actually get away from the shops for a while and take advantage of some of the other things to see and do.
I watched part of the sheep to shawl contest - boy, does that make me feel like I've only broken through the surface of a craft! I listened to a talk on looms (no, I don't weave, but wanted to learn something about it), listened to a talk about what a great fiber wool is - to spin, weave, knit, dye, and probably some other things, too. Her excitement was palpable! and contagious. There were people demonstrating every aspect of fiber from growing on the animal to end products, and most didn't mind at all sharing their knowledge and enthusiasm.
Then there were the shops - every thing in one place made it both very hard to settle on a few things, and easy to part with your money. There were looms, spinning wheels, rovings, fleeces, commercially produced yarn, privately spun/dyed/woven/knitted products, and all of the tools to "do it yourself" if you choose.
I had a nice conversation with Lucy Neatby, who happened to be visiting at a booth I was in, and some great conversations with other knitting/fiber lovers like myself. I guess I had better stop here, but I just couldn't help going on a bit - and I can't wait for next year. Maybe I won't - the NY S & W is in October... Still dreaming...Linda

Go to Top of Page

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1937 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2003 :  06:31:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message
What an incredible experience!

It was great seeing Bess, Lissa and Marfa again....if only for a quick hug. Wish we could have stopped to catch up but the bus driver got lost and for over an hour we drove around beautiful neighborhoods..32 anxious knitters! We didn't arrive until noon and had to be back on the bus at 3:45.

So needless to say, it was a quick stop at the 4-H booth for oatmeal brownie and bottled water for a quick pick-me-up about 2:30.

But the fibers!!!! My mind was blown away. It's the first time I've seen so much at one time.

We were a bit timid at first about buying, we wanted to see everything before making a purchase, but after I found a beautiful ginger colored wool spun with a multi-colored chenille the Visa card (debit card so I knew how much I could spend) was never back in my wallet.

And the barn with the contest entries/winners. Wow! The designs were fantastic. I wanted to touch everything. I looked for your's Bess but the lady told me not to touch and I couldn't read all the tags.

I'll write about what I bought over on my blog later.

Oh, and I have a new knitting friend, Sandy. We were the only two on the bus who were "virgins" to the festival so we decided to stick together. We had a great time together.

All in all it was a wonderful trip. Sandy commented as we were boarding the bus...next year we'll drive and maybe spend the night!

Linda

http://wallisknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1937 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2003 :  06:31:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message
What an incredible experience!

It was great seeing Bess, Lissa and Marfa again....if only for a quick hug. Wish we could have stopped to catch up but the bus driver got lost and for over an hour we drove around beautiful neighborhoods..32 anxious knitters! We didn't arrive until noon and had to be back on the bus at 3:45.

So needless to say, it was a quick stop at the 4-H booth for oatmeal brownie and bottled water for a quick pick-me-up about 2:30.

But the fibers!!!! My mind was blown away. It's the first time I've seen so much at one time.

We were a bit timid at first about buying, we wanted to see everything before making a purchase, but after I found a beautiful ginger colored wool spun with a multi-colored chenille the Visa card (debit card so I knew how much I could spend) was never back in my wallet.

And the barn with the contest entries/winners. Wow! The designs were fantastic. I wanted to touch everything. I looked for your's Bess but the lady told me not to touch and I couldn't read all the tags.

I'll write about what I bought over on my blog later.

Oh, and I have a new knitting friend, Sandy. We were the only two on the bus who were "virgins" to the festival so we decided to stick together. We had a great time together.

All in all it was a wonderful trip. Sandy commented as we were boarding the bus...next year we'll drive and maybe spend the night!

Linda

http://wallisknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MissPooh
Angel

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2003 :  10:11:42 AM  Show Profile Send MissPooh a Private Message
Sunday was wonderful, too. I met up with Rebecca at the artist's "tent" and we looked for Lissa all afternoon. We found Nancy and friends from my guild, also.

My DH and I got to meet Rebecca's DH and DD for lunch and roaming around. DH and I tried one of the deep-fried Twinkies - interesting but not an experience I am going out of my way to have again.

I was restraining myself so I only got a ball of gold eyelash for accenting some future project, a hank (1500 yds) of dark gray merino lace-weight for a foray into shawl making, a hank of undyed mohair to play with dyeing this summer (it was Rebecca's fault - she makes dyeing sound like so much fun) and a skein of the Cestari cotton/wool blend for socks. I also got a set of blocking wires from Leslye Solomon and one of those gorgeous baskets for a graduation gift.

I picked up the flyer for the Montpelier (VA) Fall Fiber Festival to find that our Annie Modesitt is the featured designer/teacher this year. She is teaching several interesting classes. I hope to be able to take at least one of the classes.

Mary Lou
Go to Top of Page

MissPooh
Angel

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2003 :  10:11:42 AM  Show Profile Send MissPooh a Private Message
Sunday was wonderful, too. I met up with Rebecca at the artist's "tent" and we looked for Lissa all afternoon. We found Nancy and friends from my guild, also.

My DH and I got to meet Rebecca's DH and DD for lunch and roaming around. DH and I tried one of the deep-fried Twinkies - interesting but not an experience I am going out of my way to have again.

I was restraining myself so I only got a ball of gold eyelash for accenting some future project, a hank (1500 yds) of dark gray merino lace-weight for a foray into shawl making, a hank of undyed mohair to play with dyeing this summer (it was Rebecca's fault - she makes dyeing sound like so much fun) and a skein of the Cestari cotton/wool blend for socks. I also got a set of blocking wires from Leslye Solomon and one of those gorgeous baskets for a graduation gift.

I picked up the flyer for the Montpelier (VA) Fall Fiber Festival to find that our Annie Modesitt is the featured designer/teacher this year. She is teaching several interesting classes. I hope to be able to take at least one of the classes.

Mary Lou
Go to Top of Page

BlueStocking
Sustaining Member

USA
945 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2003 :  6:44:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueStocking's Homepage Send BlueStocking a Private Message
Oh, that is way too exciting about Annie at Montpelier!!

I had SUCH a great time on Saturday ... great to see everyone and go on Fiber Overload with like minded folks!!

Makes me wish that November was already here and we were all at Graves again!

Jen

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"

check out my knitting: http://TheSpiritTrail.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BlueStocking
Sustaining Member

USA
945 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2003 :  6:44:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueStocking's Homepage Send BlueStocking a Private Message
Oh, that is way too exciting about Annie at Montpelier!!

I had SUCH a great time on Saturday ... great to see everyone and go on Fiber Overload with like minded folks!!

Makes me wish that November was already here and we were all at Graves again!

Jen

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"

check out my knitting: http://TheSpiritTrail.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4398 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2003 :  08:40:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Waaaaaaaah!! I'm jealous, oh so jealous. It sounds like you all had such a good time. I was truly touched when I got Jen's pictures and saw that you really did meet up at the festival.

Martha, I laughed out loud when I saw Jen's picture of you in a state of fiber overwhelm (it's in the article, for those of you who haven't seen it yet - the page is located at:
/goto.asp?goto=03MD ). She managed to capture a feeling many of us know only too well. Asking ourselves "What am I doing?" yet lacking any ability or will to stop.

Next year I will be there. I will buy a fleece. I will drop it off somewhere to be processed. I will indulge in sugary fried dough snacks. I will, I will, I will!

Knit on, you wonderful people,

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4398 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2003 :  08:40:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Waaaaaaaah!! I'm jealous, oh so jealous. It sounds like you all had such a good time. I was truly touched when I got Jen's pictures and saw that you really did meet up at the festival.

Martha, I laughed out loud when I saw Jen's picture of you in a state of fiber overwhelm (it's in the article, for those of you who haven't seen it yet - the page is located at:
/goto.asp?goto=03MD ). She managed to capture a feeling many of us know only too well. Asking ourselves "What am I doing?" yet lacking any ability or will to stop.

Next year I will be there. I will buy a fleece. I will drop it off somewhere to be processed. I will indulge in sugary fried dough snacks. I will, I will, I will!

Knit on, you wonderful people,

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

mhyarn
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2003 :  09:58:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit mhyarn's Homepage Send mhyarn a Private Message
Hi everyone,
I was so anxious to meet some KR people that I arrived at the gate 15 minutes early, then asked nearly everyone who paused for a second it they were part of KR. Jennifer, what a wonderful report - how did you remember all that. There was a mixup between Pat and myself in the picture of us on the grass. Pat is the one on the left in purple - I though she was from New York. I (Barb) am the one from Michigan on the right wearing the hat.

This was my first time at MD S&W as a tourist, we had a booth there for 13 years but bowed out 3 years ago, now just do a local fiber festival and our internet site. It was fantastic to have two whole days to see, talk and try to do it all. Still could have gone on for more.

Barb from Michigan
http://www.marrhaven.com

Barb from Michigan
Go to Top of Page

mhyarn
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2003 :  09:58:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit mhyarn's Homepage Send mhyarn a Private Message
Hi everyone,
I was so anxious to meet some KR people that I arrived at the gate 15 minutes early, then asked nearly everyone who paused for a second it they were part of KR. Jennifer, what a wonderful report - how did you remember all that. There was a mixup between Pat and myself in the picture of us on the grass. Pat is the one on the left in purple - I though she was from New York. I (Barb) am the one from Michigan on the right wearing the hat.

This was my first time at MD S&W as a tourist, we had a booth there for 13 years but bowed out 3 years ago, now just do a local fiber festival and our internet site. It was fantastic to have two whole days to see, talk and try to do it all. Still could have gone on for more.

Barb from Michigan
http://www.marrhaven.com

Barb from Michigan
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
1953 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2003 :  12:23:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
Jen, aka Blue Stocking, what a fabulous story you wrote! You captured the Festival in such glowing detail. As I read it, I felt like I was there w/you & Bess again - the sights, the smells, the sounds - you nailed it, honey bun. Lovely story! For those of you who could not attend, Jen's story puts you there, don't you think?
And the photo of me, head in hand, whoa - that's me for sure! At first I felt myself blush, seeing the utterly tired & tuckered out person that I was at that moment (& for a few hours after that too ) & then I laughed. Clara, the term "fiber overwhelm" does apply along w/the feeling of "How long can I stay at the Festival? Could I come back tomorrow? There's so much to see!" Since this was my 1st MD Festival, I admit to being the kid in the candy store w/my wishes for things to purchase. I was pretty good & was modest w/my yarns. (That didn't sound like a defensive sentence or too much of a juicy rationalization, did it? )
Thanks again, Jen, for your fabulous reporting!

Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
1953 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2003 :  12:23:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
Jen, aka Blue Stocking, what a fabulous story you wrote! You captured the Festival in such glowing detail. As I read it, I felt like I was there w/you & Bess again - the sights, the smells, the sounds - you nailed it, honey bun. Lovely story! For those of you who could not attend, Jen's story puts you there, don't you think?
And the photo of me, head in hand, whoa - that's me for sure! At first I felt myself blush, seeing the utterly tired & tuckered out person that I was at that moment (& for a few hours after that too ) & then I laughed. Clara, the term "fiber overwhelm" does apply along w/the feeling of "How long can I stay at the Festival? Could I come back tomorrow? There's so much to see!" Since this was my 1st MD Festival, I admit to being the kid in the candy store w/my wishes for things to purchase. I was pretty good & was modest w/my yarns. (That didn't sound like a defensive sentence or too much of a juicy rationalization, did it? )

Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
1953 Posts

How do.

Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
1953 Posts

How do.

Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
1953 Posts

How do.

Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
1953 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2003 :  12:28:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
P.S. Clara, yes, please do come next year! We would love to see you! And we know you'd try a deep fried Twinkie & tell us all about it

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.68 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?