Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Needles and Security
 China?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

auntlinda
Chatty Knitter

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  07:09:08 AM  Show Profile Send auntlinda a Private Message
We're planning a trip to China on China Air this fall. Anyone have experience with their policy re: knitting needles?

~Linda

greengirl
Seriously Hooked

Taiwan
679 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  07:35:34 AM  Show Profile Send greengirl a Private Message
If you're going to mainland China, you might be flying Air China, but you are definitely not flying China Air. For those interested, China Air is the airline of Taiwan (Republic of China), and therefore for political reasons, does not have regular flights to China. [Wikipedia article on China Airlines]

The good news is that usually it depends on the airports, not the airlines, as the security checks are done prior to getting on the plane. I have had DPNs on a China Air flight and not had any problems. I haven't flown Air China.

Good luck with your trip planning! I hope you have a wonderful time. The flight is long, so you will have plenty of time to knit (and sleep).
Go to Top of Page

auntlinda
Chatty Knitter

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  07:42:56 AM  Show Profile Send auntlinda a Private Message
Woops - you're right. It's Air China. Thanks!

~Linda
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  09:52:15 AM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Linda: Keep checking with your carrier to see what they say. Sometimes you get different infornation from different people. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  11:10:12 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
I have been to China and didn't have any problems with my knitting. But be sure to check.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

sydo
Chatty Knitter

USA
225 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  2:44:17 PM  Show Profile  Send sydo a Yahoo! Message Send sydo a Private Message
I recently was in both the Chinese and Taiwan airports both coming and going, and had no problem going through a very thorough security check. I did carry Denise needles so as not to set off any metal detectors and carried my knitting in a separate carry-on that I made sure had no metal objects in it.

I do think it depends on the airport personnel and airport regulations, not carriers.

Sydo
Go to Top of Page

tsrgirl
Warming Up

54 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  06:21:33 AM  Show Profile Send tsrgirl a Private Message
I'm going to China too, so was glad to see this topic posted! I have the same question and will be checking with the airline. Will you be shopping for yarn while you're there? Any idea what to look for or where??

Have a fun trip!!

Go to Top of Page

auntlinda
Chatty Knitter

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  10:19:34 AM  Show Profile Send auntlinda a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by tsrgirl

I'm going to China too, so was glad to see this topic posted! I have the same question and will be checking with the airline. Will you be shopping for yarn while you're there? Any idea what to look for or where??

Have a fun trip!!

I'm always shopping for yarn - so yes. But I have no idea what to expect or what to look for. If you learn anything, please let me know! (and I will do likewise)

~Linda
Go to Top of Page

tsrgirl
Warming Up

54 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  3:17:24 PM  Show Profile Send tsrgirl a Private Message
I sure will! we're going in a month, so will let you know what I find there. What part of China are you visiting?

Silly question to ask a knitter..."will you be shopping for yarn..."!!
Go to Top of Page

LesleyKnits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  7:22:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit LesleyKnits's Homepage Send LesleyKnits a Private Message
We're going to China also! I'm not sure what airline we're flying. If anybody comes up with any yarn stores in Beijing or Shanghai let me know :)

I have a blog! http://honeybeeknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

tsrgirl
Warming Up

54 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  06:44:32 AM  Show Profile Send tsrgirl a Private Message
When do you go LesleyKnits? We're leaving in less than 2 weeks...getting a little nervous! I want to make sure I pack lightly because there is a strict pound limit to baggage when traveling within the country, and I definitely want to save room for yarn!!
Go to Top of Page

desi_knitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

507 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  08:17:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit desi_knitter's Homepage Send desi_knitter a Private Message
timely topic: i will be flying China Air in July, but to New Delhi, and was wondering about needles.

Visit my new blog:
http://desiknitter.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

roofth
Seriously Hooked

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  09:29:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit roofth's Homepage  Send roofth a Yahoo! Message Send roofth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by LesleyKnits

We're going to China also! I'm not sure what airline we're flying. If anybody comes up with any yarn stores in Beijing or Shanghai let me know :)

Over at the knitty board, there's a thread that discusses yarn stores in Beijing and Shanghai (and I think there is mention of Hong Kong stores too): here.

Hubby and I will be headed in the same area at the end of July/beg of August... Beijing, Xian, Shanghai. We'll be doing a tour, so I'm not sure how much down time we'll have for yarn shopping. But it should be so much fun!

========================
Ruth's Knits
Go to Top of Page

Old Knitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
790 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  12:40:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Old Knitter's Homepage Send Old Knitter a Private Message
Can you believe we knitter's are a threat? Knitters are peace makers. One piece at a time..........

Holly

www.knittinghaven.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.78 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.