Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Talk about books reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Essential Elizabeth Zimmermann Book
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2003 :  4:21:25 PM  Show Profile Send mtchen a Private Message
I'm undecided on which Elizabeth Zimmermann book I should own. Some people tell me to go with "Knitting Around" since it's her "best" book. Others say I should buy "Knitter's Almanac" since it's a lot cheaper. Another book in this mix is "The Knitting Workshop." I have access to her book "Knitting Without Tears" at the local library so I don't think I would need to actually buy that one. Any suggestions?

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2003 :  06:12:56 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I probably shouldn't reply because I haven't even seen her "Knitting Around" book, but I do own "The Knitting Workshop" and "Knitting Without Tears". I think those two books are very complete with instructions for knitting although very sparse on patterns, so I guess the answer would be whether or not you are looking for a basic reference or a pattern book. I would like to get a book of her patterns as soon as I recover from the slam Income Tax dealt me.

fran

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

I probably shouldn't reply because I haven't even seen her "Knitting Around" book, but I do own "The Knitting Workshop" and "Knitting Without Tears". I think those two books are very complete with instructions for knitting although very sparse on patterns, so I guess the answer would be whether or not you are looking for a basic reference or a pattern book. I would like to get a book of her patterns as soon as I recover from the slam Income Tax dealt me.

fran

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

fran

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

fran

Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2003 :  7:20:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
The only EZ book I have is "Knitter's Almanac" and I thoroughly enjoyed it. What attracted me was the conversational style and the monthly layout, in projects. I have been knitting since I was a kid and have a pretty good selection of knitting basics books, so I admit that I haven't been looking for more of that lately...

Guess it depends on what you want!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2003 :  7:20:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
The only EZ book I have is "Knitter's Almanac" and I thoroughly enjoyed it. What attracted me was the conversational style and the monthly layout, in projects. I have been knitting since I was a kid and have a pretty good selection of knitting basics books, so I admit that I haven't been looking for more of that lately...

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

Laura Ver
Seriously Hooked

656 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2003 :  5:42:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Laura Ver's Homepage Send Laura Ver a Private Message
I own three out of the four and have checked the one I don't own yet (Knitting Workshop) from my local library, so I am familiar with all of EZ's books. IMO "Knitting Around" is the most fascinating as it is part-autobiography. But for reference I tend to use "Knitting Without Tears" and "Knitter's Almanach" the most, more for technique and inspiration than for actual patterns.
If you can splurge, by all means invest in EZ's videotapes. They are well-produced and well-worth owning, especially the Knitting Glossary: 2 long tapes of tips and techniques, clearly demonstrated and explained, and arranged alphabetically. "The Knitting Workshop" book is meant as a companion to the tape-series of the same name. It is more of an A to Z knitting course than the other books and tapes and it contains a couple of useful patterns that I'd like to try someday.

Laura
Go to Top of Page

Laura Ver
Seriously Hooked

656 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2003 :  5:42:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Laura Ver's Homepage Send Laura Ver a Private Message
I own three out of the four and have checked the one I don't own yet (Knitting Workshop) from my local library, so I am familiar with all of EZ's books. IMO "Knitting Around" is the most fascinating as it is part-autobiography. But for reference I tend to use "Knitting Without Tears" and "Knitter's Almanach" the most, more for technique and inspiration than for actual patterns.
If you can splurge, by all means invest in EZ's videotapes. They are well-produced and well-worth owning, especially the Knitting Glossary: 2 long tapes of tips and techniques, clearly demonstrated and explained, and arranged alphabetically. "The Knitting Workshop" book is meant as a companion to the tape-series of the same name. It is more of an A to Z knitting course than the other books and tapes and it contains a couple of useful patterns that I'd like to try someday.

Laura
Go to Top of Page

Laura Ver
Seriously Hooked

656 Posts

Laura
Go to Top of Page

Laura Ver
Seriously Hooked

656 Posts

Laura
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.81 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?