Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Boys Who Knit
 A guy knitting
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Falas
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2006 :  11:15:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Falas's Homepage Send Falas a Private Message
What do girls think when they see a guy knitting/crocheting?

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2006 :  11:57:47 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
I tend to think they're pretty self-confident and intelligent!

Trish
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2006 :  11:57:47 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
I tend to think they're pretty self-confident and intelligent!

Trish
Go to Top of Page

firymist
Chatty Knitter

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  9:59:53 PM  Show Profile Send firymist a Private Message
I definitely think it's great. Someone who's not so worried about society's stereotypes. There's a guy who comes to our Friday night knits and others are learning.
Go to Top of Page

AuntyNin
Seriously Hooked

USA
772 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  06:15:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyNin's Homepage Send AuntyNin a Private Message
My first thought is usually, "Aha! A Knitter!" And, like Trish, I also think they're fairly self-confident and smart. My experience has been that this us a reasonable assessment.

AuntyNin

Everything happens for a reason, except possibly football. --- Terry Pratchett

http://home.earthlink.net/~lradiga1/
Go to Top of Page

AuntyNin
Seriously Hooked

USA
772 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  06:15:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyNin's Homepage Send AuntyNin a Private Message
My first thought is usually, "Aha! A Knitter!" And, like Trish, I also think they're fairly self-confident and smart. My experience has been that this us a reasonable assessment.

AuntyNin

Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2208 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  06:23:19 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
?!? AuntyNin:

This tempts me to ask "Am I the exception that proves the rule, or do you consider me self-confidant and smart?" but I'm afraid of what the answer would be!

{snicker}

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2208 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  06:23:19 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
?!? AuntyNin:

This tempts me to ask "Am I the exception that proves the rule, or do you consider me self-confidant and smart?" but I'm afraid of what the answer would be!

{snicker}

Go to Top of Page

AuntyNin
Seriously Hooked

USA
772 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  07:44:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyNin's Homepage Send AuntyNin a Private Message
Mmario, do you really think I would "adopt" someone who wasn't smart?

Don't answer that.

AuntyNin

Go to Top of Page

AuntyNin
Seriously Hooked

USA
772 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  07:44:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyNin's Homepage Send AuntyNin a Private Message
Mmario, do you really think I would "adopt" someone who wasn't smart?

Don't answer that.

AuntyNin

Go to Top of Page

sandrasingh
Seriously Hooked

USA
740 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  05:22:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit sandrasingh's Homepage Send sandrasingh a Private Message
I normally sell via the internet but people do stop by to shop my extensive "stash" in person. I had a woman make an appointment & she let me know her husband would be with her. I figured he discuss politics with my DH as she shopped. Boy was I wrong! She was a knitter and he crocheted and he was more detail orientated than her! He had a specific project in mind that he was designing his own pattern for, combed through my yarns and sample books and had a list of questions! It was wonderful to see and I learned a lot from him.

Sandra Singh
www.sandrasingh.com
sandrasingh@sandrasingh.com
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2208 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  06:37:12 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
*grin* AuntyNin can tell you - she's seen this. Some friends and I will go into a fabric or fiber shop - two burly bearded guys and a couple of women. Nigel and I are usually slower starters then the women - but when we find something we're louder...and the reactions of sales people when we make a "find"!!

or one of the ladies calls us over to see if "Is this what you want?"

Go to Top of Page

Trina
Permanent Resident

USA
1871 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  07:18:20 AM  Show Profile Send Trina a Private Message
I think it's great. My husband loves to acompany me to all the yarn stores & is really good about helping me choose when I can't decide. The ladies at the LYS all love chatting with him! He used to knit, but finds living here in AZ more condusive to playing golf! Can't wait to move back to Seattle!!!!!

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.
-Langston Hughes

Trina in AZ
Go to Top of Page

AuntyNin
Seriously Hooked

USA
772 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  07:34:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyNin's Homepage Send AuntyNin a Private Message
Mmario's right, not only have I seen it, I've collaborated in some of these scenes. Nigel (big, burly, bearded, tattooed and shaven head) doesn't knit, but he has the best color sense of all of us, so it's not at all unusual for one of us to ask him "Which combination works better?"

D*mn, I miss those road trips!

AuntyNin

Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2006 :  1:45:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
I have the same reaction to any knitter, no matter the gender: "Whatcha making????" Actually, the last time I saw a guy knitting I learned two new-to-me things: the "correct" way to hold yarn with the right hand, and how to knit backwards. (I put correct in quotes because I firmly believe that whatever way works for you IS the correct way; but his way--once I learned it--is faster and easier than how I used to do it so now it's correct to me )

--Susan T-O in Long Beach CA

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the
most discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny.'" --Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

LadySpring
Chatty Knitter

127 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2006 :  1:47:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit LadySpring's Homepage Send LadySpring a Private Message
I have to agree that my response is generally the same to any knitter I see..."Whatcha makin'?" I love to see any person creating something with their hands but, fiber being my thing, I especially love to see people knitting, crocheting, tatting, etc. When I see guys doing it, it makes me smile for a number of reasons...
1) It's good to see men open themselves up to practicing what is considered a domestic art. I feel that men who knit are like men who cook, sew, or clean...rare gems to be treasured. And, honestly, gentlemen, knowing how to do any of the above things will make day to day bachelor life a heckuva lot better. In fact, knowledge of the 'domestic arts' will probably put an end to your bachelor days sooner rather than later...but I digress.
2) The irony of the statement, "Knitting is the new, hip thing for men to do," makes me giggle. One of the ways I attempted (with the persistence of my cat chasing a dragonfly) to get my now ex-boyfriend how to knit was by appealing to the historical aspect of knitting. I showed him different books and websites that explained how men had knit throughout history. Men had been knitting socks, sweaters, bags, sails, and bandages for centuries before it became a female-dominated industry.
3) When I see a guy knitting or crocheting, I think about how cool it would be to see what he makes while we watch splatter films and kung-fu movies and have many drinks after becoming knitting buddies.

Gentlemen, and not-so-gentlemen, I implore you to knit more publicly so that other fellas will look at (some) your big, burly, bearded selves and say, "well, he still looks pretty darn manly and he's knitting so why can't I?" And when you see a guy checking out your knitting, please offer to show him how. I carry an extra pair of short needles and a little ball of yarn for that purpose. If they really get into it, I give 'em the yarn and the needles. When someone (usually a fella) asks me what I'm knitting or even how to knit, I like to remind them that I am making an entire garment/blanket/etc. out of one piece of yarn and two sticks and that is pretty darn cool. Sure, these guys may feel more comfortable approaching me because I'm a relatively small female but, IMO, just about whatever it takes to get people interested in knitting is cool with me...If you and your guy friends are really shy about knitting in public, just go on a 'fishing trip' with your yarn and needles tucked into your tackle box. Knitting in a boat on the water would be incredibly relaxing and your SO would become mysteriously more understanding of your 'fishing trips' if lovely little cashmere, alpaca, and silk knitted things started 'appearing' around the house. You may not have a big fish to hang on the wall when you come home but the sweater you made for 'hunting season' will be worth it.
Finally, gentlemen, thank you for knitting. I hope I see some of you one day, knitting somewhere, making something truly unique and wonderful. Creating something with my hands and my mind together, especially to give to someone, is one of the most satisfying things that I do every day and it saddens me to think that other people, men and women alike, are not doing the same.
Have a wonderful day, y'all!
Erika
Go to Top of Page

LadySpring
Chatty Knitter

127 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2006 :  1:47:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit LadySpring's Homepage Send LadySpring a Private Message
I have to agree that my response is generally the same to any knitter I see..."Whatcha makin'?" I love to see any person creating something with their hands but, fiber being my thing, I especially love to see people knitting, crocheting, tatting, etc. When I see guys doing it, it makes me smile for a number of reasons...
1) It's good to see men open themselves up to practicing what is considered a domestic art. I feel that men who knit are like men who cook, sew, or clean...rare gems to be treasured. And, honestly, gentlemen, knowing how to do any of the above things will make day to day bachelor life a heckuva lot better. In fact, knowledge of the 'domestic arts' will probably put an end to your bachelor days sooner rather than later...but I digress.
2) The irony of the statement, "Knitting is the new, hip thing for men to do," makes me giggle. One of the ways I attempted (with the persistence of my cat chasing a dragonfly) to get my now ex-boyfriend how to knit was by appealing to the historical aspect of knitting. I showed him different books and websites that explained how men had knit throughout history. Men had been knitting socks, sweaters, bags, sails, and bandages for centuries before it became a female-dominated industry.
3) When I see a guy knitting or crocheting, I think about how cool it would be to see what he makes while we watch splatter films and kung-fu movies and have many drinks after becoming knitting buddies.

Gentlemen, and not-so-gentlemen, I implore you to knit more publicly so that other fellas will look at (some) your big, burly, bearded selves and say, "well, he still looks pretty darn manly and he's knitting so why can't I?" And when you see a guy checking out your knitting, please offer to show him how. I carry an extra pair of short needles and a little ball of yarn for that purpose. If they really get into it, I give 'em the yarn and the needles. When someone (usually a fella) asks me what I'm knitting or even how to knit, I like to remind them that I am making an entire garment/blanket/etc. out of one piece of yarn and two sticks and that is pretty darn cool. Sure, these guys may feel more comfortable approaching me because I'm a relatively small female but, IMO, just about whatever it takes to get people interested in knitting is cool with me...If you and your guy friends are really shy about knitting in public, just go on a 'fishing trip' with your yarn and needles tucked into your tackle box. Knitting in a boat on the water would be incredibly relaxing and your SO would become mysteriously more understanding of your 'fishing trips' if lovely little cashmere, alpaca, and silk knitted things started 'appearing' around the house. You may not have a big fish to hang on the wall when you come home but the sweater you made for 'hunting season' will be worth it.
Finally, gentlemen, thank you for knitting. I hope I see some of you one day, knitting somewhere, making something truly unique and wonderful. Creating something with my hands and my mind together, especially to give to someone, is one of the most satisfying things that I do every day and it saddens me to think that other people, men and women alike, are not doing the same.
Have a wonderful day, y'all!
Erika
Go to Top of Page

petitemorte
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  6:30:50 PM  Show Profile Send petitemorte a Private Message
I am always more impressed by male fiber artists than female. Even though I'm all for equal opportunity fiber artistry, there's still the society taboo (although we all know it's fading) that knitting is a female thing,so to see a guy out there swinging yarn is always like "ooh cool!"

Di,the cross country knitter

http://photobucket.com/albums/f348/switchbladeknitter/
(insert something witty)
Go to Top of Page

Flossie
Warming Up

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2006 :  2:20:26 PM  Show Profile Send Flossie a Private Message
WOW,

Last year when I took my mom in for some "senior" tests, I sat there knitting in the waiting room with Mom. When the nurse came out to get us, her first words were, "Boy, you just scored with the Doc." It turns out that he knits too.

My reaction?

Cool someone to talk yarn with.

Flossie in SD
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by