Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 problems with metal needles?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  08:44:36 AM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
Am I the only person who has trouble knitting with metal needles? If there's the slightest bit of moisture (sweat, water) on my hands, the stitches become impossible to move. I've tried wiping down my hands, buffing the needles with a paper towel but nothing makes any difference. I usually give up in frustration.

Trouble is my favorite needles are bamboo and they aren't as widely available as I'd like, especially in circulars and very small sizes. I just ordered some pony pearl dps but they too don't come in sizes below 0.

Any suggestions for something I could do to my vast collection of much-hated metal needles to make them usable?

Cheryl

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  10:44:05 AM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Cheryl: I haven't had that problem with metal needles so I don't know what to tell you. There are some metal needles that have like a teflon or silicon coating (not sure which) called silverlume (I think). Perhaps that would help. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Hi, Cheryl: I haven't had that problem with metal needles so I don't know what to tell you. There are some metal needles that have like a teflon or silicon coating (not sure which) called silverlume (I think). Perhaps that would help. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Bev
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2462 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  2:39:13 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
Cheryl, have you tried rubbing your needles with wax paper? I don't actually know if that will help, but we used to rub our slide with wax paper when we were kids to help us go down faster! Or perhaps waxing them with car wax? That might give them a bit more slip!

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2462 Posts

Cheryl, have you tried rubbing your needles with wax paper? I don't actually know if that will help, but we used to rub our slide with wax paper when we were kids to help us go down faster! Or perhaps waxing them with car wax? That might give them a bit more slip!

chris

Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2462 Posts

chris

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  5:59:50 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Oh, Chris--did you ever spark a memory. Waxing a slide. Did you even sit on the wax paper and slide down? We did that thinking it would not only work faster but be easier. Also, I don't think we wanted to waste the time we needed to slide. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  5:59:50 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Oh, Chris--did you ever spark a memory. Waxing a slide. Did you even sit on the wax paper and slide down? We did that thinking it would not only work faster but be easier. Also, I don't think we wanted to waste the time we needed to slide. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

M. Shawn
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  8:19:54 PM  Show Profile Send M. Shawn a Private Message
Jade,

I don't knit with metal needles so don't have any advice for you. Where do you live that bamboo needles are difficult to obtain? All of the stores in my area carry bamboos -- at least two different brands, Clover and Crystal Palace. Both brands are available in circulars in various lengths and circulars in short and long lengths. If you can't find any local shops that carry bamboo needles in a wide variety of sizes and lengths, try patternworks.com or halcyonyarn.com

My favorite knitting needles are made of lucite. The only place that I can find them is at thrift stores (although there are quite a few on e-bay, I've never actually bid on anything).

Good luck!

M. Shawn
Go to Top of Page

M. Shawn
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

Jade,

I don't knit with metal needles so don't have any advice for you. Where do you live that bamboo needles are difficult to obtain? All of the stores in my area carry bamboos -- at least two different brands, Clover and Crystal Palace. Both brands are available in circulars in various lengths and circulars in short and long lengths. If you can't find any local shops that carry bamboo needles in a wide variety of sizes and lengths, try patternworks.com or halcyonyarn.com

My favorite knitting needles are made of lucite. The only place that I can find them is at thrift stores (although there are quite a few on e-bay, I've never actually bid on anything).

Good luck!

M. Shawn
Go to Top of Page

M. Shawn
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

Jade,

Good luck!

M. Shawn
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.69 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.