Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Worst Project Nightmare
 Sock issues
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Pam Zingler
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2006 :  7:29:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Pam Zingler a Yahoo! Message Send Pam Zingler a Private Message
I have had several "starter attempts" and one very nicely completed set of socks.....my husband thinks I've lost it when I get half way through a sock and rip it out because it just isn't coming out like I planned. What's everyone elses attempts to completion ratios????

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2006 :  7:42:37 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Pam: During WW II as a small child and I really was (11 when it ended) I knit more sox than I care to discuss. I couldn't even tell you how many. My sister, older and a more accomplished knitter (oh really) got to knit lots of good stuff--helmet liners, fingerless gloves so your hands were covered but trigger finger ready to do what it is supposed to do, scarves, sweaters--me nothing but sox. Do I knit sox today. NO, NEIN, NYET. What else can I say. I HATE TO KNIT SOX. Take care. Beverley [:00]

Bev
Go to Top of Page

scubagirl1966
Chatty Knitter

105 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2006 :  7:57:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit scubagirl1966's Homepage Send scubagirl1966 a Private Message
I have been knitting for years - I am fine knitting a lace shawl or an Aran sweater - I have never knitted a sock in my life - or even contemplated it ! was rather surprised to find that here in the states socks are considered a beginners item - they seems pretty complicated to me.

Anyway - I`m rambling - I knitted my first sock today just to see - it was fun - and it looks fine - fits and I see more socks in my future - I still don`t think they are easy projects !

Why are you ripping them out ? I know the self striping yarn i used didn`t stripe quite as I`d imagined but pulling it out wasn`t going to change that !

----------------------------------=----------------------------------------

i blog .. http://scubagirlsknitting.blogspot.com/

if it`s worth doing .. it`s worth doing over the top - Freddie Mercury
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2006 :  9:00:37 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Scubagirl: No, you aren't rambling. When you think in 1942 a 7 year old kid is suddenly knitting sox and has knitted nothing before but lots of scarves and all of a sudden is into sox--what else can I say. Just depends on what is going on at the time, I guess. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2006 :  10:51:27 PM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
I knit a variety of things, including socks. I probably don't rip out very much, at least not all the way to the beginning. I did knit one pair that I started over a couple of times, but other than that, it's only a few rows at a time.

I've been knitting toe up socks lately and sometimes I discover early on that there are too many stitches for the fit I like on my feet. But even then, I only have to rip out a few rows. I try them on constantly to be sure that they're right.
Go to Top of Page

NuttyKnitter101
Chatty Knitter

338 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  04:16:57 AM  Show Profile Send NuttyKnitter101 a Private Message
I've been knitting for about a year now, and I've made a grand total of 4 socks. :P My first one was orange and VERY knobly, the second one (green) was a BIT better, but my last pair was great! I personally really like making socks, but everone has their own thing.

If I am me,
and you are you,
then who is he?
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  07:44:37 AM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message
I did my first pair of socks on dpns and did not enjoy it one bit although I managed to finish them. It was a few years before I attempted another pair and that time I learned the 2 circular needle method. I was pleasantly surprised to find that not only was it easier than dpns but the socks looked much more professional (no ladders, gaps in the gusset).

It takes me a while but I manage to finish every pair of socks I start. I usually have two pairs going at once so if I get bored with one, I can work on the other.

I don't know whether the problem you are having is due to the construction of the sock, in which case you might try 2 circs or Magic Loop, or fit, in which case you might want to pick up the book, Sensational Knitted Socks, because it has directions for many different sizes based on foot circumference.

What type of yarn are you using? Another thing that beginners sometimes do is to use cheap yarn for the first pair. I firmly believe you will get better results if you use a good yarn instead.
Go to Top of Page

AusTexSusan
Chatty Knitter

USA
345 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  09:00:15 AM  Show Profile Send AusTexSusan a Private Message
My first knitting projects were scarves, then hats in the round, then socks.
An interesting progression? Maybe, but I took up socks because we were going to New Zealand for a month, and I wanted a portable project.
As for start to finish ratio, I have only one lone sock without a mate. So while not perfect, I do always complete the pair.
And I rip out a lot too. In fact, with the pair I have on the needles currently, I've knitted enough for three socks.
So, I think you have to do what you think best, and remember that it should be fun!

Susan
Go to Top of Page

pinecone70
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
393 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  09:22:05 AM  Show Profile Send pinecone70 a Private Message
I've been knitting for less than two years. The challenge of a really complicated pattern is what keeps me addicted (I always go for the toughest project if I have a book full). It took me a long time to figure out how to use DPNs (and I loathe circs for any project--they're not for everyone) but then realized it was the casting on that was so frustrating. I still cast on with a straight needle and transfer the stitches before I start the first round. Now I've conquered lots of sock patterns and find them easier with practice. I agree with many of the sock knitters that they are great portable travel projects and quick projects compared to, say, a cardigan or something.

The real beauty of sock making is that there are different methods for the heel and toe. I can *usually* figure out a pattern, and have only frogged two socks out of about twenty different pairs over the past year. Currently I have one sock without a mate, but I have to go back and fix something before I start the second, and take notes on the changes I made to the pattern. I adore sock knitting.

I also recently checked out Sensational Knitted Socks from my library, which is wonderful enough that I might purchase a copy. It is an excellent resource, but make sure to check the errata online.
Go to Top of Page

of troy
Permanent Resident

USA
2474 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  11:41:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit of troy's Homepage Send of troy a Private Message
i think that many young (new knitters) are perfectionist..

they chose complex patterns, (jaywalker, pomontus..(how ever its spelled) and they obsess about making them perfect.

it doesn't help that they spend $20 on the yarn.

buy some inexpensive yarn (LB magic stripes will do.. but there are less expensive yarns)

cast on, knit some ribbing, switch to stockingette, make a flap, turn a heel, make a gussets, and finish the tube.
its a sock.. its going to be worn inside shoes, on smelly feet.

its not a work of art.

make 1 pair, make a dozen pairs.. learn how to knit socks.
then, when you 'grok socks' got on to expensive yarns, and fancy patterns.

i grok socks. i don't need a pattern, i can substitute one heel for another, (since i know how to do, flap/turned/gussets heels, (both round heels, or square dutch heels) i know how to do short row heels, wedge heels banded heels, and afterthought heels.

i know how to do round toes, or square toes, or wedge toes, or banded toes.

i can start toe up, (working the toe flat, or using a figure 8 cast on, or a provisional one. i know lots of ways to start cuffs too..

i wasn't born with this knowledge. lots of the socks in sock album are pretty simple. the self striping yarns are used to make the simplest socks, and solid yarns are used for fancier lace or patterned one.

none of my socks are perfect. (all are wearable, and comfortable.

many were made for under $2 a pair, some for $1 a pair, (the most expensive are $11 a pair.)

why do so many people use knitting as a way to punish themselves.

(and think nothing they do is ever good enough?)

i don't live in a perfect world, and if i spend all my time and energy on making perfect socks, then i won't have time or enery for the really important things in life. (and lets face it, as nice as socks are, perfect sock do not ="world peace"--they are, in the end just socks.

your socks are fine.. you can't frog your life. live it. and don't obsess that your socks (or other knitting) isn't perfect.

See my photo albums of knitting. http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v299/oftroy/
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  6:41:30 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Nutty Knitter 101: When you say you have knit four sox to you mean two pair, four pair or just four sox? Someone told me that I should get in touch with the local VA hospital and see if they had patients with just one leg and therefore needed only one sock. I didn't take offense but with my luck some poor guy from WW II would get my one sock! What else can I say. Take care. Beverley [:00]

Bev
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  10:40:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by of troy

i think that many young (new knitters) are perfectionist..

they chose complex patterns, (jaywalker, pomontus..(how ever its spelled) and they obsess about making them perfect.

While I agree with the sentiment of your post, I just wanted to point out that Jaywalkers are hardly a complex pattern Pomotamus (yeah, however it's spelled [crazy]) are definitely not a first sock project. I first started knitting socks about six months ago, using magic loop, and have made two and a half pairs so far (not counting my very first sock). Of those, I frogged the second pair countless times before I got them to where I could live with them. They're still not perfect, but wearable. Those were the only ones that I've seriously had a lot of trouble with, though.

"Alright everyone, back to your knitting..."
- Fred or George Weasley, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

pinecone70
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
393 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  06:47:56 AM  Show Profile Send pinecone70 a Private Message
Jeez, OfTroy, that sounded pretty harsh. The post is about completion ratios, not perfection. There are loads of people here that knit for fun and recreation, not who will snuff it if their socks don't turn out perfect. Lighten up. Sock construction does not equal life.
Go to Top of Page

of troy
Permanent Resident

USA
2474 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  07:05:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit of troy's Homepage Send of troy a Private Message
occationally i just lose it when knitters get into what i persieve as "bragging" about how many times they have 'frogged'

why? why frog again and again? why persue perfection, instead of completed pairs of socks? and then to "complain" I frogged X times --only to have some one else chime in i frogged X+Y times!--excuse me but that is bragging and one upmanship.
(the subtex its [i]I am more of perfectionist than you are--thus i am more perfect than you are--i am better![/])

i won't say i never frog--but its been 2 years since i did--(twice on one sweater)but then i was designing it.. and using 'stash' yarn, and realised i would have to redesign, (or buy new yarn..since the colors i had didn't have enought contrast to work.) but socks? i don't need perfect socks. i might tink a row or two if i make a mistake, but frog? never!

See my photo albums of knitting. http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v299/oftroy/
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  07:19:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
I need perfect socks.

GFTC of NYC

pictures of FO socks:
www.flickr.com/photos/gftc_knits/
Go to Top of Page

pinecone70
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
393 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  07:41:33 AM  Show Profile Send pinecone70 a Private Message
If I see that a pattern/project isn't going to turn out the way I want it to, I rip it out to save the yarn. It happens. I don't see ripping as bragging, it's kind of embarrassing in a way. Personally, socks were about the most tedious things I've learned, with the different techniques and all. Of course learners are going to start over a couple of times at least. I don't think it's one upmanship for somebody to try to make something right.

I don't have 'perfect' anything, really. Especially my socks. I really like it when the self-striping stuff doesn't match. Isn't it just more fun that way? I'm pretty sure all of my projects have mistakes in them, but it's not going to make me rip all of them out. (I've only ever ripped out those two socks.) As long as the stitch count is right, knit on.
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  4:29:06 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Calamintha: Back in the olden days when I actually knit sox they were only knitted on dp's and in those days there were only four needles in the set--three holding the work and the fourth to knit with. My how times have changed and we have come a long way. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  8:47:02 PM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message

My mother learnt to knit socks as a child;her mother taught her,and she was made to knit her own socks!It's enough to put anyone off,but my mom still knits socks - not for herself,but for my dad who suffers from chilblains during winter.

Leslie

My Pics
http://photos.yahoo.com/abreyleslie
My Blog
http://au.360.yahoo.com/abreyleslie
Go to Top of Page

sydo
Chatty Knitter

USA
225 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  03:56:36 AM  Show Profile  Send sydo a Yahoo! Message Send sydo a Private Message
I'm a sock knitter/learner at the moment ,having just turned a-not-too-bad wrapped heel on my very first sock (toe up). I find it interesting that my knit group pals all find my attempts at learning to make toes and heels a waste of time, since all I will finally end up with is a pair of socks (let us hope). How mundane! Is it process versus product that is part of the sock mystique, I wonder? I have no idea what hand-knit socks feel like to actually wear, but I am intrigued by the knitting challenge, and the portability. Perfectionism? Hardly. The practice that is required to learn a skill often involves erasing, breaking down into parts, or starting over. Those of us who took piano lessons can attest to that! I agree with Pinecone; knitting wearable socks involves a learning curve. But I enjoy the curve!!
Sydo
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  07:42:42 AM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message
I didn't get the mystique of sock knitting at first either. And my husband thought it was ridiculous to knit socks when you can buy them so cheaply. I think I was motivated by the fact that I wanted to provide him with better quality socks because the socks he buys always wear thin at the toe and heel and they aren't worth darning.

After he wore the first pair of socks I made for him he raved about how comfortable they were so I always have a pair in the works for him now. After you have a made a couple of pairs, apart from the heel and toe, it's pretty mindless knitting. There is definitely something cool about doing heels. Socks are small enough to stick in a pocket and take with you where ever you go. I'm a complete sucker for all the amazing self patterning yarns that are out there now.
Go to Top of Page

anotherbev
Warming Up

90 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  10:39:39 AM  Show Profile Send anotherbev a Private Message
I've only done a couple of pairs of socks, but I was interested in trying it because I have trouble finding pre-made socks that fit--they're too big and the heel ends up on top of my foot (or on my shin). The coolest part of making your own is the control, and finally having socks that are comfortable and do not "spin on your foot."
anotherbev
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.