Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Desert Island Stash
 My island stash
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kathleen-NYC
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  6:39:15 PM  Show Profile Send Kathleen-NYC a Private Message
I always wondered exactly what a 'desert island' was! How arid (desert) can it be when you are surrounded by water?

I'd like to bring Dazzling Knits: Building Blocks to Creative Knitting by Patricia Werner, and Noro silk garden yarn.

I'd actually love the have the peace and quiet and uninterrupted time to concentrate on some of the more interesting blocks.

Knitasha
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
355 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  12:26:32 PM  Show Profile Send Knitasha a Private Message
Assuming that the desert island is hot and dry, I'd bring along the many 10-packs of Rowan Linen Drape that I snapped up when it was discontinued or an equal amount of Cotton in lots of colors. I'd make a bunch of t-shirt tops in lace patterns and stripes of my own devising and use the leftovers to knit a large, bright rescue flag. The book -- how to choose? Probably Vogue Knitting as an all-around resource. Or Knitting for Anarchists (by Anna Zilboorg) because it's also a good read.

To a cold, windy, barren desert island, I'd bring loads of Lopi and Sally Melville's The Knit Stitch, from which I'd knit several versions of the Einstein Coat, plus a thick blanket.
Go to Top of Page

Carol in Maine
Chatty Knitter

208 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2006 :  05:49:42 AM  Show Profile Send Carol in Maine a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kathleen-NYC

I always wondered exactly what a 'desert island' was! How arid (desert) can it be when you are surrounded by water?

I'd like to bring Dazzling Knits: Building Blocks to Creative Knitting by Patricia Werner, and Noro silk garden yarn.

I'd actually love the have the peace and quiet and uninterrupted time to concentrate on some of the more interesting blocks.

Hi Kathleen,
I've said this (at this same forum) before, but, I live on Mt. Desert Island-- named by Samuel de Champlain in 1604 for its barren hills, and I would bring lots of Briggs & Little worsted and dp needles in several sizes.
Two years ago there was a 400th anniversary celebration, coordinated with Canada, bringing attention to the first recorded European settlement on a tiny island in the St Croix River, near here. The native Americans were a large part of the festivities. I knit a lot of red toques for the people on the boat, representing du Guay, Sieur de Monts, Champlain, etc. but the re-enactment was rained-out--torrential! Maybe those were rain-songs the native re-enacters were doing on the shore I'm sure the pseudo-sailors were warm in their caps. In the winter of 1604 more than half of the settlement died of scurvy, so I guess I would bring a huge stash of vitamin C pills to that barren little island, along with the Briggs & Little.
I saw one of the best sweaters EVER being worn on a bus on your Manhattan Island. It was vibrant stripes of "random" width in mostly primary colors, although it didn't look a bit "Crayola". Maybe wool with a bit of mohair, in a collarless, simple but sophisticated, jacket style.

Carol in Maine
Go to Top of Page

belacane
Warming Up

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  7:18:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit belacane's Homepage Send belacane a Private Message
Not to mention that the original term was "deserted" island, as in, there are no other people to interrupt you. This phrase has become corrupted in the last 20-30 years.

Aran pattern books, Louet Gems, size 7 needles!

Donna
www.cashmerecat.com
Go to Top of Page

DebbiOH
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
525 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  09:16:52 AM  Show Profile Send DebbiOH a Private Message
A deserted island would be wonderful. I wouldn't worry about what kind of yarn I wanted, I'd just take my whole stash and knit until the waters receed and I'm able to walk home, in my new socks, sporting my new sweater, carrying my sea shells in my new knit purse, all the while keeping the sun out of my eyes with the brim of my new knit hat.

(grin)

Debbi
NW Ohio
Go to Top of Page

diamondgirl
Chatty Knitter

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  08:02:13 AM  Show Profile Send diamondgirl a Private Message

Malabrigo, size 9s, and my copy of Barbara Walker's 2nd Treasury.

Third Generation Craft Ho
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?