Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Talk about books reviewed in Knitter's Review
 history of knitting books
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

frenchtoast
Chatty Knitter

Canada
188 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2003 :  2:33:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit frenchtoast's Homepage Send frenchtoast a Private Message
I'd like to read a book about the history of knitting. i have found two online:
A History of Hand Knitting by Richard Rutt
and No Idle Hands: The Social History of American Knitting by Anne L. MacDonald
Has anyone read anything like that?

KEG
Sustaining Member

122 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2003 :  4:56:38 PM  Show Profile Send KEG a Private Message
Hi -
I read No Idle Hands many years ago and can't remember it too well, but there was a discussion on it in these forums several months ago. Try the "search" option if you want to find the discussion. My memory is that I liked the book well enough but it took me a while to slog through.
I'm reading Richard Rutt's book now. It's tremendously well researched and thorough, at least about knitting in England (Anne MacDonald's book is about American knitting). Haven't gotten to the parts where he discusses the rest of the world, yet. He has a clear and concise, if unexciting, writing style and has done his work v-e-r-y c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y. I'm enjoying the book.
Kate
Go to Top of Page

KEG
Sustaining Member

122 Posts

Hi -
I read No Idle Hands many years ago and can't remember it too well, but there was a discussion on it in these forums several months ago. Try the "search" option if you want to find the discussion. My memory is that I liked the book well enough but it took me a while to slog through.
I'm reading Richard Rutt's book now. It's tremendously well researched and thorough, at least about knitting in England (Anne MacDonald's book is about American knitting). Haven't gotten to the parts where he discusses the rest of the world, yet. He has a clear and concise, if unexciting, writing style and has done his work v-e-r-y c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y. I'm enjoying the book.
Kate
Go to Top of Page

KEG
Sustaining Member

122 Posts

Hi -
Kate
Go to Top of Page

KEG
Sustaining Member

122 Posts

Hi -
Kate
Go to Top of Page

KEG
Sustaining Member

122 Posts

Hi -
Kate
Go to Top of Page

nellcm
Chatty Knitter

161 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2003 :  07:55:48 AM  Show Profile Send nellcm a Private Message
I read No Idle Hands and enjoyed it quite a bit, but i really like reading knitting history. It is similar to reading a texbook, but an interesting one. And one you'd never read in school. I learned alot about everyday life in the colonies and America as it grew that was never even hinted at in school. ( A great disservice to women, but that's another subject).

I haven't read Richard Rutt book yet, but I am planning to get it.
Go to Top of Page

nellcm
Chatty Knitter

161 Posts

I read No Idle Hands and enjoyed it quite a bit, but i really like reading knitting history. It is similar to reading a texbook, but an interesting one. And one you'd never read in school. I learned alot about everyday life in the colonies and America as it grew that was never even hinted at in school. ( A great disservice to women, but that's another subject).

Go to Top of Page

nellcm
Chatty Knitter

161 Posts

Go to Top of Page

frenchtoast
Chatty Knitter

Canada
188 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2003 :  05:40:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit frenchtoast's Homepage Send frenchtoast a Private Message
thanks so much.

Go to Top of Page

frenchtoast
Chatty Knitter

Canada
188 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2003 :  05:40:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit frenchtoast's Homepage Send frenchtoast a Private Message
thanks so much.

Go to Top of Page

frenchtoast
Chatty Knitter

Canada
188 Posts

thanks so much.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 4.75 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?