Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Talk about books reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Looking for a book
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2003 :  4:02:09 PM  Show Profile Send mtchen a Private Message
I also have both books and agree with what the others have said...

The "Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns" has basic patterns in different measurements, presented in table/list format, and is useful if you want to knit basic pattern sweaters (i.e. pullover or cardigan) in a stitch pattern of your choosing, with any yarn you want.

But as for designing your own "style" of sweaters, "Sweater Design in Plain English" should be your book. It is quite like Maggie Righetti's other book "Knitting in Plain English" as far as the conversational tone is concerned, and is more about the strategies and tips to designing well-fitting sweaters (for example, it goes into describing people's body types and what kind of sweaters would suit what body type). It does not, however, contain patterns for all sizes/gauges...You can take a look at the Table of Contents for this book here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0312051646/ref=lib_rd_ss_TC01/102-7259618-5337765?v=glance&s=books&vi=reader&img=4#reader-link

I would say the latter book has more of an imaginative element to it. However, the former book is practical if you want to know the actual approximate numbers for sizes and shapes (but note that the sweater pattern portion takes up less than half of the pages of this book, while the rest of the book is on other knitted items like scarfs, hats, tams, socks, mittens, gloves, vests...etc.).

I've also seen Deborah Newton's "Designing Knitwear" and that one looks very comprehensive and detailed...

I would say, for your purposes, you should get "The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns" because you mentioned wanting to make basic sweater styles in different stitch patterns.

Hope this helps!

Go to Top of Page

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2003 :  4:02:09 PM  Show Profile Send mtchen a Private Message
I also have both books and agree with what the others have said...

The "Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns" has basic patterns in different measurements, presented in table/list format, and is useful if you want to knit basic pattern sweaters (i.e. pullover or cardigan) in a stitch pattern of your choosing, with any yarn you want.

But as for designing your own "style" of sweaters, "Sweater Design in Plain English" should be your book. It is quite like Maggie Righetti's other book "Knitting in Plain English" as far as the conversational tone is concerned, and is more about the strategies and tips to designing well-fitting sweaters (for example, it goes into describing people's body types and what kind of sweaters would suit what body type). It does not, however, contain patterns for all sizes/gauges...You can take a look at the Table of Contents for this book here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0312051646/ref=lib_rd_ss_TC01/102-7259618-5337765?v=glance&s=books&vi=reader&img=4#reader-link

I would say the latter book has more of an imaginative element to it. However, the former book is practical if you want to know the actual approximate numbers for sizes and shapes (but note that the sweater pattern portion takes up less than half of the pages of this book, while the rest of the book is on other knitted items like scarfs, hats, tams, socks, mittens, gloves, vests...etc.).

I've also seen Deborah Newton's "Designing Knitwear" and that one looks very comprehensive and detailed...

I would say, for your purposes, you should get "The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns" because you mentioned wanting to make basic sweater styles in different stitch patterns.

Hope this helps!

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2003 :  9:50:44 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Go ahead and pick your book and learn how to design your sweater, but try knitting your sweater while you are studying. Go to this site and follow the directions there and it will generate a detailed pattern for you to follow. It's free. The pattern will have more information on it that you will need because it will also have directions for machine knitting.

http://www.thedietdiary.com/knittingfiend/

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Go ahead and pick your book and learn how to design your sweater, but try knitting your sweater while you are studying. Go to this site and follow the directions there and it will generate a detailed pattern for you to follow. It's free. The pattern will have more information on it that you will need because it will also have directions for machine knitting.

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.