Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Boys Who Knit
 I'm worried all my friends will think I'm a poof
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  12:21:28 AM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi,

Today I was shopping in Box Hill, I was in a bookshop with my daughter who was buying a book. I thought while I was there I would ask if they had any knitting books.

The guy said they only had two and they were beginner books.

He then went on to tell me that he and his housemate (another male) who has been knitting for some time had taught him how to knit and he is now making a scarf on 10mm needles.

I said I thought that was great and he should go visit knitters Review as there are quite a few men here and then he said to me, which really floored me. Do you think I'm a poof? and I said no way. Lots of men knit and I told him to go down to Brunswick Street to the cafes and he would be most surprised.

I also told him about Thrice's Eddie Breckinridge who is a crocheter and makes beanies for the band members (who are also knitters and crocheters) and for other bands.

I hope he does visit us and also goes to Brunswick Street. He'll be in for a pleasant surprise.

If you read this Hi from the lady in the bookshop at Box Hill.

Go for it my son!!!

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  07:57:05 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Good on you Rose! I hope I said it right. That was really nice of you to send him our way.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  09:19:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
I wouldn't know if he was a boy or girl anyway on the forum unless he said. And even then...how would I know? He really should check out the forum. He might learn something!

~~~~Jamye

I don't have a problem with authority, I just have a problem with people telling me what to do.
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1559 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  10:45:18 AM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
For Christmas, I got my 10yo grandson some yarn and knitting needles and taught him to knit. I was expecting some recourse from my sil. Nothing was said, and it came out later that he can remember his grandfather crocheting and his father knitting. Just goes to show you!

Shirley Ryan, living in Dana Point, CA

...and dance like no one is watching!
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2006 :  6:28:51 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi Zola,

Yes, you got it right, you sounded just like an Aussie.

Go to Top of Page

blanket
New Pal

Australia
2 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  8:32:42 PM  Show Profile Send blanket a Private Message
As with so many "is there something wrong with me?" lines of thought, getting online can get things in perspective. I thought I was the only person in the world with a stash problem/yarn-based- conflict-with-sig.-other, which just goes to show How Wrong You Can Be.

I recommend Yarnboy's site and some of the other lads who can be found on Knitty.

I say push the metrosexual thing for all it's worth.

(to be recited to background strains of Ethel Merman singing "I Gotta Be Me")

A Melburnian
Go to Top of Page

Barry1948
New Pal

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  07:23:34 AM  Show Profile Send Barry1948 a Private Message
Who cares what others think. As for me, if someone doesn't like the fact that I am a guy who knits it's there loss, not mine, if they don't want to get to know me. At my age(57), i do what what I like. I also were clothing that is comfortable. I don't go for fashion anymore, it's comfort and fun9within reason) for me.

The macho truck driver who kints
Go to Top of Page

KnittyElf
Warming Up

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  09:42:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit KnittyElf's Homepage Send KnittyElf a Private Message
I think any female knitter's fantasy is a guy who knits. Mine certainly is, though the closest I've come is have one boyfriend be excited about my own knitting.

~ the KnittyElf :)
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2209 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  5:35:37 PM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
good lord - why "push the metrosexual thing for all it's worth"; traditionaly military men, firefighters, shepherds, lighthouse keepers all have a history of men knitting - all "macho" occupations. So instead of the urban mythos of knitting being "women's work" - why not just tell the truth about the history of the craft - it has pretty much always been done by both sexes, exclusive of the last generation or two of Euro-American culture.

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  07:27:10 AM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi everybody,

I went back to the bookshop yesterday and noticed that he had a computer on the counter, so I looked up Knitters Review and showed him the site, he also read all about the other guys that knitted.

He also showed me his knitting, its a lovely pale blue scarf.

Next time I go in I am going to take in for him a copy of Kaffe Fassetts, Glorious Knitting, that will blow him away, as I'm sure he thinks all knitting books are designed by ladies.

He is a lovely young man and must be a credit to his Mum and Dad.

Hi from Rose.

Go to Top of Page

KnittyElf
Warming Up

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  10:22:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit KnittyElf's Homepage Send KnittyElf a Private Message
Sadly enough, I thought Kaffe Fassetts was a woman!!! So hard to tell with names sometimes... Have you seen all those lovely knitting books designed by Japanese men? It seems to me that men dominate the pattern industry over there!

Go to Top of Page

ErickaJo
Chatty Knitter

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  4:34:14 PM  Show Profile  Send ErickaJo a Yahoo! Message Send ErickaJo a Private Message
My boyfriend knits. He's very, very good. I always get a little miffed when a woman (because it's always a woman, sorry) comes up and just starts going off. Oh my god! A man who knits! How fantastic! I've never seen anything like it! (all of which we have heard)

It just makes him not want to knit in public. If we'd stop making such a big deal of it, we'd see more male knitters. They were doing it first, after all.

ErickaJo
Go to Top of Page

mamid
Permanent Resident

Canada
1568 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  5:31:35 PM  Show Profile  Send mamid a Yahoo! Message Send mamid a Private Message
My line is always "men who weren't able to serve for whatever reason in the civil war and WW1+2 knit for those who served." That usually makes the guys feel prouder.

The Last Thread
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  5:56:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by KnittyElf

I think any female knitter's fantasy is a guy who knits. Mine certainly is, though the closest I've come is have one boyfriend be excited about my own knitting.

You got that right! I have my fantasy man - a cuddly husband who knits, and who loves to sit up with me and watch Conan O'Brian

-WendyM[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/smallspindlepic.gif[/IMG]
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page

diamondgirl
Chatty Knitter

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  4:43:00 PM  Show Profile Send diamondgirl a Private Message

I love men who work with their hands. My husband has been acknowledging lately that he needs to do more work with his hands, to tie his mind and his body together. But so far he has resisted knitting.

Many men we all know either paint, play music or obsessively grow roses, for instance. I do not see why knitting is any different from these hobbies, or from woodworking or crafting fine machinery, like clocks. But men who work with fiber seem to get laughed at more than for other 'soft' hobbies. It's really very silly.

I agree that men would knit more if we all pretended not to notice. People are funny that way.

Third Generation Craft Ho
Go to Top of Page

NuttyKnitter101
Chatty Knitter

338 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  8:49:18 PM  Show Profile Send NuttyKnitter101 a Private Message
instead of pushing the meterosexual thing, whenever someone starts mocking you for knitting, laugh at them for being behind the times. Tell them chicks dig it, cause they do! :D

Not every Mary in the world has a lamb like mine
Go to Top of Page

Noli
Chatty Knitter

231 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  08:39:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Noli's Homepage  Send Noli a Yahoo! Message Send Noli a Private Message
But it's not just that people think it's something only women do, it's that people still think it's something for only little old ladies to do. Hillarious, since there's a little old lady who's a bass fishing pro, and little old ladies who can put engines together, and little old ladies who are doctors and scientists. So it's a combination insult to knitters and little old ladies everywhere(and yeah, I kept saying little old ladies, because that's how people phrase it, "little old ladies").

I'm a shallow girl who enjoys a good celebrity meltdown. So of course any news of Lindsay Lohan losing it and out partying like it's her profession till she collapses from "exhaustion" ooh that's good entertainment. Did I mention I'm shallow?

Anyhow, so there was an E! True Hollywood Story about her, and her mom was trying to defend her by saying "She's 18 years old, do you expect her to sit around the house and knit?". So I'm watching and thinking "And what's wrong with KNITTING?!"

So if a young woman knits, there's a kind of "she's old before her time thing" and if it's a man, then "he's an old queer before his time" thing. It's just silliness. Better he should knit, regardless of his orientation(gay guys knit too, and lesbians for that matter), than any of the what million? Bad things he could be doing.

I don't get it. I mean it's just knitting. Yeah once you're into it it's addictive, but it's harmless, really. Heck it's better than harmless, it's productive, calming, and fun, all at the same time. So why should anyone care if you knit, regardless of gender or age?

http://spinningonadime.blogspot.com Blog about how to build a spinning wheel from found parts...Currently featuring, how to score free spinning and storage bobbins!

http://rubiesandpurls.blogspot.com Mostly knitting blog...Currently featuring: How to use color theory when dying with Kool-Aid. It's how to mute the colors and easy tidbits for making colors pop!
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  09:06:33 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
We have one couple that come in and knit together. We have another couple, he knits;she doesn't

DH is creative,has good taste and interest in all things creative[some time too much so[:00]].

I have tried for years to get him to try knitting. He says "No Way"!

But, you should see how much he enjoys painting my toenails.[:00][:00][:00]..

He would not be a happy camper if he knew I had told you all-could'nt help myself[:00]. KL
Go to Top of Page

collieknit
Warming Up

84 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  9:15:30 PM  Show Profile Send collieknit a Private Message
During the semester, i knit constantly between classes anywhere that i can park myself. In the past, I have taken classes with guys from the police science program on campus and have never heard a rude comment. I have found that if other guys do give me strange looks, it just means that they don't have what it takes to knit in public.
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  05:58:34 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
I think it is great when a man knits or crochets. My great uncle has always crochet and he makes the most pretty stuff. I have a crochet table cloth that he gave me as a wedding present. If I see a man knitting, I always comment to them about how great I think it is.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

SFMichael
Gabber Extraordinaire

437 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  3:47:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit SFMichael's Homepage Send SFMichael a Private Message
I just have to jump in here.

All of my friends KNOW that I'm a poof and honestly -- whether you are one yourself or not -- if your friends are going to care about something like that they are NOT your friends.

Michael
http://pages.prodigy.net/maecooper/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.92 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by