Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Ideal Knitting Bag
 Offhand Designs or Green Mountain Knitting Bags
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

leftpaw
Warming Up

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2006 :  1:28:56 PM  Show Profile Send leftpaw a Private Message
I'm looking for a medium size knitting bag and I think I've narrowed it down between a Zelda Tote from Offhand Designs (http://www.offhanddesigns.com/603k.html) and one of the medium sized bags from from Green Mountain Knitting Bags (http://www.greenmountainknittingbags.com/index.htm) and I just can't decide which to go with! I've read a lot of good things about the Green Mountain bags on this forum, does anyone have a Zelda Tote (or any of Offhand Designs other knitting bags)? If you have a bag (or bags) from either of those companies I'd love to hear what you think of it.
Thanks![meow]

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2006 :  3:05:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
I love my bag from Green Mountain Designs but I would not walk around with it in the city because it's a little too vintagey what with the wood handles, the 1940's fabric (which is actually what attracted me to it) and no shoulder strap. It is a true knitting bag and the one that I find myself using lately for one project after another but I only use it at home or if I'm going somewhere in a car. I don't have a bag from Offhand but I saw them at Suss and decided that there is one in my future once I decide on the fabric. It is completely different from the Green Mountain Bag. It's more contemporary in shape and has a shoulder strap. It looks more like a pocketbook than a knitting bag so I would not feel funny walking around in the street with it. I don't know how you would compare them. Also, I don't think they have comparable sizes, but I could be wrong about that. I think you need one of each.......

GFTC of NYC

pictures of FO socks:
www.flickr.com/photos/gftc_knits/
Go to Top of Page

stephcat
Gabber Extraordinaire

510 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  1:15:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit stephcat's Homepage Send stephcat a Private Message
I have some stuff from Offhand Designs (zelda grand, circular case) and love them. The new totes are bigger, I'd get one of those if I had the spare cash, though the grand works fine for small projects. The fabrics are lovely and the construction/quality excellent.

The looks of the two companies' bags are totally different. I'd go w/ whatever pleases you aesthetically.

Steph

http://sunsetcats.blogspot.com/
http://tricat.blogspot.com/
http://aranknittingring.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  1:30:44 PM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
I love my Green Mountain bags.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

leftpaw
Warming Up

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  6:35:09 PM  Show Profile Send leftpaw a Private Message
It's true that the bags are very different and I'd love to get both but for now I'll have to settle for just one of them. I've decided on Green Mountain - I love their classic style. Now I just have to decide which one to get!
Go to Top of Page

ChelleC100
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2006 :  4:19:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit ChelleC100's Homepage Send ChelleC100 a Private Message
Leftie (I'm a leftie too) - I think you made a wise decision. I love all of my Green Mountain bags! They are unique, lovely, and wear so very well. You can't beat them in my opinion. Chelle
Go to Top of Page

Rho
Permanent Resident

1570 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2006 :  6:21:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rho's Homepage Send Rho a Private Message
I was looking at both of them too and decided on the Green Mountain Bag -- I LOVE mine--I can see that there may be different ones in my future too.

rho
http://rhosknittingwoes.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Doodle
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  06:35:28 AM  Show Profile Send Doodle a Private Message
Hi Leftpaw
Did you ever decide on a bag? I'm currently torn between the Offhand Grand vs. the Weekender. Very different uses - but based on the costs - I'm not buying two any time soon. I want to get the most use I can out of whatever I choose.

I like the Green Mountain bags and have heard nothing but wonderful things about their quality. The look is just a little too old-fashioned for me personally so I'm leaning toward the Offhand Designs...

Let me know how you made out :)
Go to Top of Page

leftpaw
Warming Up

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  4:25:22 PM  Show Profile Send leftpaw a Private Message
Hi,
I ended up getting two Green Mountain Knitting Bags - the Vintage and Annie's sock bag and I love them both, in fact I feel like I'm an addict because I still want a large carpet bag! I have a bit of a bag addiction...

I also love the Offhand Design bags, they are completely different but also very nice. I was thinking about getting the Zelda Tote. The Grand seemed too small and an awkward shape (I only use circular and double pointed needles so I don't need the extra length). The Weekender is nice but it's really big - though you could carry more than just your knitting in it if you were taking it with you on vacation, or if you tend to work on large projects like sweaters or afghans it would be useful. Overall for my purposes I think I'd get the Tote, if I were to allow myself to get another knitting bag anytime soon (and I'm not!)

I know it's a tough decision because they are expensive and you want to be happy with your purchase. Have you seen either of them in person at your LYS?

Let us know what you decide!
Go to Top of Page

irishclover@gmail.com
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  08:28:07 AM  Show Profile Send irishclover@gmail.com a Private Message
I have the Zelda tote and love it! I am a small bag type of person (my purses generally are tiny), but fell in love with the Offhand Design bags. I've had it for almost a year and it has held up fabulously. I can fit two to three projects in the bag with spare balls of yarn, (a sweater, a tank, socks) along with a book or a magazine. The pockets are very nice for holding notions. A couple of the inside pockets are roomier for holding larger notions. The side compartment is nice for holding spare items and also has pockets. I always receive complements on the bag when I take it out. The vintage velvet is stunning in person. The size can be a bit big (again, I like small purses), but it is still manageable. The bottom of the bag has metal feet to keep it from getting too dirty. If I had the chance, I'd buy it again.
Go to Top of Page

Doodle
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2006 :  6:46:23 PM  Show Profile Send Doodle a Private Message
Thanks for everyone's input! I'll let you know what i decide:)
Go to Top of Page

Doodle
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  3:19:56 PM  Show Profile Send Doodle a Private Message
I received my Zelda Tote in the Morocco fabric today and I am thrilled with my decision! The bag has plenty of space and is beautifully made. It has lots of pockets and the bright blue fabric makes it easy to see everything inside (or any light color seems a better choice).

I splurged and went for the delux needle case in matching fabric and love it as well. Again, roomy and well made.

Anyhoo - thanks for everyone's input and happy knitting :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe