Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Lace Forum
 I can't cope with laceweight yarn!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

KnittingCommuter
Chatty Knitter

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  5:34:47 PM  Show Profile Send KnittingCommuter a Private Message
LilyBeth, I truly agree with you that laceweight yarn is impossibly difficult. I ordered Kid Silk Haze and Inox #6 needles from an internet site for my first lace project (a simple scarf)--rec'd it today and am ready to give up already. Think I will put the yarn aside for now and start with a thicker yarn. I truly admire the skill it takes to produce such lovely things with such unbelievably thin yarn!! You are an amazing group. By the way, I ordered the yarn yesterday from Kaleidscope Yarns (www.kyarns.com) and rec'd it today. Is that superfast or what???

Ducky's Mom
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  5:51:20 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by KnittingCommuter

I ordered Kid Silk Haze and Inox #6 needles from an internet site for my first lace project (a simple scarf)--rec'd it today and am ready to give up already.

I just finished a stole that I designed with Kid Seta which is practically the same as Kid Silk Haze and it is not the easiest yarn to use. Are you using the Inox Grey needles or the Inox Express? I used the Inox Greys and I think the Express would probably be too slippery for this yarn.

You might also think about using a larger needle with this yarn. I wanted a very open, drapey effect so I used a size 9 but if I had to do it over again I would probably use a size 8.
Go to Top of Page

KnittingCommuter
Chatty Knitter

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  6:38:51 PM  Show Profile Send KnittingCommuter a Private Message
Calamintha, I got the Inox Grey needles, not the Inox Express as I figured they might be like the Addi Turbos...and I knew I couldn't handle that with a lacy yarn. I don't know if I could handle this yarn even with a larger needle. It's so fragile looking. As you can tell, I am disappointed -- I really wanted to try lace knitting. Guess I was more concerned about the ease of a pattern and figured I could tackle the yarn. Well tomorrow I will head out to my favorite yarn shop and see what I can find. This place has two floors of yarn and the owner has been in business forever. Hopefully she will stear me in a better direction than I did on my own. It does make me feel better when an experienced knitter like you says that the yarn I chose is not the easiest to work with.

Ducky's Mom
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  9:21:31 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message
I have done quite a bit of lace knitting and the Kid Seta did give me conniptions a few times. It works better on some types of stitch patterns than others. On the main pattern I used I had to do s2kp2 and I was constantly chasing those first 2 stitches up the needle. It is fairly difficult to frog also. So don't get discouraged!

If you want to try another laceweight yarn, see if they have Zephyr. It is a wool/silk blend and easier to use than the KSH.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.81 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?