Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Guild and Group Info
 How Do I Start a Knit/Crochet Group
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LeTeisha-Marie
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  07:15:17 AM  Show Profile Send LeTeisha-Marie a Private Message
I live in Taunton, MA and there are no groups for knitters/crocheters to meet up and exchange ideas and help each other get motivated. How have others started a group in their area?

Le-Teisha

aggie epee
Warming Up

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  09:07:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit aggie epee's Homepage Send aggie epee a Private Message
I taught all my friends to knit!

Another good way to go would be to work with your LYS, if you have one. My LYS owner was really keen on the idea of starting a group that would meet in the shop and was willing to stay open late to try it out. She/he can also help you find other knitters who might be interested in forming a group.

http://everwhelming.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

hissyknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  08:30:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit hissyknit's Homepage Send hissyknit a Private Message
You might want to check out meetups.com and click on the knitting groups. Enter your zip and find the closest group or you can start your own. It's actually neat to see so many knitters (and people wanting to learn) in your area.

Christy B.
"I run with scissors and eat paste."
Go to Top of Page

roofth
Seriously Hooked

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  11:02:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit roofth's Homepage  Send roofth a Yahoo! Message Send roofth a Private Message
I agree, LYS in your area would be of help. But if that doesn't work, you can always start with a bunch of your own knitting/crochet friends (and/or start teaching your friends to knit/crochet), pick a time and place to meet, and then just spread the word!

There's a pdf link from the SnB groups site that you can download that gives you step-by-step guidelines on how to start a group:

http://www.stitchnb*tch.org/how-to-start-a-knitting-group.pdf
(replace the * with an "i" - this is the only way this link will work) [crazy]

Have lots of fun!

========================
Ruth's Knits
Go to Top of Page

kpc19011
Chatty Knitter

146 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2006 :  07:47:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit kpc19011's Homepage Send kpc19011 a Private Message
Getting a group started is going to take some work, but it will be worth it in the end. I joined a knit group the beginning of this year and am currently trying to get more members...it's not easy. The Leader of our group started a Yahoo Group for knitters in the area. Our group is in connection with the Stitch-n-B**** which will give you support. I think the main issue is awarness, most knitters don't even know there are others like them out there. If you have a local yarn store, talk to the owners to see if you can meet at their store and post flyers. If your limited to a hobby store that carries yarn, try approching customers. I've even talked to people at bookstores..if there buying knitting books, then maybe they want to join. One thing that I was planning on doing soon is taking a class to potentially get other members. I hope some of these ideas help you out...good luck and happy knitting.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

manika
Chatty Knitter

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  10:18:09 AM  Show Profile Send manika a Private Message
i just joined one in austin from www.meetup.com. if you decide to be the leader, you can post polls to find out how often everyone wants to meet and get suggestions on locations for the meets, etc. it sends automatic emails to people that have already expressed interest in joining a knitting meetup in your area.
Go to Top of Page

MichelleKnitter
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  08:10:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit MichelleKnitter's Homepage Send MichelleKnitter a Private Message
I third the meetup suggestion, but it does take some publicity to get a group going. I wrote an article on the subject, it's at http://needlebeetle.com/free/knittinggrp.htm

I didn't start mine at a LYS because we didn't have one at that time. Now we're pretty well supplied, but who knows how long it will last?

Good luck!

www.dcknitting.net

Michelle in Maryland
Knitting Networker
Go to Top of Page

hisue51
Chatty Knitter

USA
178 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  1:16:28 PM  Show Profile  Send hisue51 a Yahoo! Message Send hisue51 a Private Message
Thanks this is great info. I'm planning to start a group in my home this fall. I'm going invite friends via email, then let word of mouth do the rest.

Sue

Life is short, eat more chocolate.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.