Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Stuck on a Pattern
 Loulou the elephant – Toys to Knit/Tracy Chapman
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tyrannei
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  08:45:19 AM  Show Profile Send tyrannei a Private Message
I am currently knitting the elephant pattern from Toys to Knit by Tracy Chapman and am completely baffled by an omission in the pattern for the Head—Center Gusset, Top section. The end of the instructions read:

Next Row: Decrease 1 st at each end of row (21 sts).
Work a further 11 rows without shaping.
Repeat the last 1 row eight times. (5 sts).
Bind off.

So…obviously repeating the last 1 row eight times cannot be correct because it must be a decreasing pattern to get from 21 sts to 5 sts, but I can’t figure out if I should just be doing a decrease 1 at each end 5 times, or if there should be more “further rows without shaping” in between the decrease rows.

Has anyone worked this pattern? Or, does anyone have any suggestions of how I can make-up the pattern myself to ensure that all my pieces fit together in the end?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Beckyh
Gabber Extraordinaire

471 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  10:06:51 AM  Show Profile Send Beckyh a Private Message
quote:
Repeat the last 1 row eight times.

If you repeat the decrease row 8 times you will decrease 1 st at each end 8 times for a total of 16 decreases. This will take you from 21 sts to 5 sts.

So I would decrease to 21 sts. Work 11 rows even. Then, decrease for 8 rows.

Hope this helps,

Becky
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  10:16:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
You guys are so awesome! Imogen emailed me this question today and I encouraged her to post it here. First, I'm so happy that she did. And second, I'm bursting with pride that Becky jumped in with help so quickly. This really is an amazing place.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

tyrannei
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  11:31:57 AM  Show Profile Send tyrannei a Private Message
Becky,

Thanks so much for your assistance.
My only worry with your instruction, however, is that I'm afraid the piece may end up too short if I just do an additional 8 rows. I'm wondering if perhaps I need to actually be doing a repeat of the last 12 rows (instead of the last 1), so that I eventually get down to 5 stitches, but will have a total of 96 more rows, instead of 8. Or maybe it should be something in between there?
Is there any way to determine how many more rows I will need to make the piece the correct size? Basically, this is the trunk, then the top and down the back of the head. I have both side pieces of the head completed, and am about to start on the underside of the trunk.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Beckyh
Gabber Extraordinaire

471 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  11:51:46 AM  Show Profile Send Beckyh a Private Message
I see your problem. Does 96 rows make sense with the size of the piece? How many rows per inch are you getting in your knitted piece so far? This gauge may help you determine how large a piece the trunk should be. It sounds like these rows form the bottom and top of the trunk so your trunk would be about 48 rows long.

Good luck,

Becky
Go to Top of Page

Carolyn
Chatty Knitter

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2006 :  12:33:08 PM  Show Profile Send Carolyn a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by tyrannei

Becky,

I'm wondering if perhaps I need to actually be doing a repeat of the last 12 rows (instead of the last 1), so that I eventually get down to 5 stitches, but will have a total of 96 more rows, instead of 8.

I think you have figured out the error in the pattern. Good for you!
Go to Top of Page

Garagan
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  6:23:56 PM  Show Profile Send Garagan a Private Message
I'm also making LouLou, and while I found the above mentioned mistake, I am having other difficulties with it. I'm finding a lot of the langauge rather ambiguous, and am having diffuculties figuring out the 'body front and back'. Even after knitting the piece, I still can't tell if I'm supposed to make a second copy of the piece, or if I'm supposed to fold the one that I've made in some way. Does anyone know?
thanks,
Catherine.
Go to Top of Page

Garagan
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  6:25:01 PM  Show Profile Send Garagan a Private Message
I'm also making LouLou, and while I found the above mentioned mistake, I am having other difficulties with it. I'm finding a lot of the langauge rather ambiguous, and am having diffuculties figuring out the 'body front and back'. Even after knitting the piece, I still can't tell if I'm supposed to make a second copy of the piece, or if I'm supposed to fold the one that I've made in some way. Does anyone know?
thanks,
Catherine.
Go to Top of Page

tyrannei
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  11:08:55 AM  Show Profile Send tyrannei a Private Message
Garagan,

Sorry I didn't respond earlier - I haven't logged in for awhile.

I set this aside for awhile, hoping I would get the corrections from the publisher but didn't, so I'm back at it.

I have completed all of the pieces in the pattern, and determined that there should be 2 front/back pieces, so I am knitting the additional piece now. As far as the head, I just pretended that the pattern said "knit the last 12 rows...(5 stitches)." It looks a little long compared to the side pieces, etc., but I guess I won't know until I sew it all together.

I should (in theory) be finishing up in the next week or so, so I'll let you know how it all turned out.

Go to Top of Page

sjanova
Seriously Hooked

USA
963 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  2:28:33 PM  Show Profile Send sjanova a Private Message
Wow. I got a reply to my inquiry to the publisher about an obvious typo on the kangaroo pattern in the same book. She (Katherine from Crown) said they're posting corrections on their website in the next few weeks. I replied thanking her and forwarding the note I posted on the Errata board with the other error I found (so far). I also suggested that she check this thread for corrections for the elephant pattern. Posted the URLs for both threads. A few hours later, I got a note from Isa from Random House, who said "We have never heard of this problem, but believe the author will be able to help. I will be in touch with her and get back to you as soon as I have the information. If you don't hear from me by the end of September, please feel free to email me." I had already sent the other reply so I guess I'll forward it to her. Maybe they can get together on this!

sja
Go to Top of Page

wmitchell
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2006 :  04:12:28 AM  Show Profile Send wmitchell a Private Message
I have just passed the stage you are at...I decided that the incorrect instruction "repeat the last 1 row eight times (5sts) should have read "repeat the last 12 rows 8 times". Which is what I have done and have a very long skinny piece of knitting. I have also almost completed the Centre Gusset but have left the stitches on a stitch holder as I did not have confidence in the instructions and they did not stipulate how many stitches should have been remaining at the end. I also did not notice the Centre Gusset, Top instructed CO 9 sts and then the following increase had you arrive at 9 sts...so I may have to alter that piece. It may end up being too long.

It is a pity that knitting a child's toy elephant may have me tinking back, I don't have a problem doing this to have a sweater fit correctly. But a toy?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe