Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Started your holiday projects yet?
 Knitted Wedding Gifts
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

oxfordpeg
Warming Up

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  12:31:00 PM  Show Profile Send oxfordpeg a Private Message
I have a friend who is marrying her girlfriend this summer and I thought about knitting her a wedding gift, but then was a bit stumped. I was thinking about maybe knitting them both a lace stole for the wedding, but I think that's a bit ambitious for my talents. Any suggestions of sweet, smaller knitted wedding gifts? I seem to be drawing a blank.

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  1:25:54 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
What about knitting up some nice face cloths and soap bags and making it into a little gift bag/box/basket? I'm currently infatuated with the Bathing Beauties patterns from Fibre Trends(thanks KRSP!) If they have a gift registry you could check that to see what colours they like.

http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

hisue51
Chatty Knitter

USA
178 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  1:26:51 PM  Show Profile  Send hisue51 a Yahoo! Message Send hisue51 a Private Message
How about dishcloths and matching handtowels? Washcloths and handtowels? A bath mat?

Sue

Life is short, eat more chocolate.
Go to Top of Page

oxfordpeg
Warming Up

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  2:03:41 PM  Show Profile Send oxfordpeg a Private Message
I like the washcloths/soap idea, always good as a back up. Those Bathing Beauties patterns are pretty awesome. I was just wondering if there were any slightly more exotic ideas. Not really sure what I mean by that, but...

Bath mat idea is cool, but not sure how I'd do it, plus I have to mail it to GB, so I don't want to make anything too big or heavy. Oh, they are honeymooning in Australia for 4 weeks (lucky devils) if that spurs any ideas... just picking the collective KR brain
Go to Top of Page

YarnGoddess
Permanent Resident

USA
2460 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  2:22:14 PM  Show Profile Send YarnGoddess a Private Message
Matching socks? Or 2 different pairs from matching yarn.

Elizabeth
Zipper & Diva

A sense of humor can help you tolerate the unpleasant, cope with the unexpected, overlook the unattractive and smile through the unbearable.

To learn more about healthy nutrition for your cat, go here: http://www.catnutrition.org and here: http://www.catinfo.org/
Go to Top of Page

Cozy
Chatty Knitter

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  2:30:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cozy's Homepage Send Cozy a Private Message
I don't know what the attire is, but I saw a nice pattern for a wedding garter in the Knitting Pattern a Day Calendar 2006.

Come see me at my blog:cozy's place

Knitting addict since November '03

Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  3:23:12 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
If you have to mail it to GB I suggest getting them a non-knitted gift. You could also mail them some AUD for their honeymoon - always appreciated!

http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  7:00:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
I enjoy making afghans for my soon-to-be-married friends. If time is short (wow, it's June already and there is a wedding in August, eek!), you can use chunky yarn and large needles.

"Alright everyone, back to your knitting..."
- Fred or George Weasley, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

RatherBknitting
Chatty Knitter

213 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2006 :  09:09:49 AM  Show Profile Send RatherBknitting a Private Message
There's a really nice bath mat in the new Mason Dixon knitting book. It looks like it's made out of a jute-like yarn or material.

Sara

Go to Top of Page

glccafar
Seriously Hooked

825 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2006 :  6:33:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit glccafar's Homepage Send glccafar a Private Message
Afghans are a lovely wedding gift. Two shawls would be very sweet, perhaps in complimentary colors and with big needles so it goes quickly. Or a felted basket for their home together. Or some lovely pillows if you know what colors they like. Or a felted wine cosy with a nice bottle of wine inside. Or a felted tea cosy with a kettle and tea if they like country-styled decor.
Or a framed piece of lace.
Go to Top of Page

oxfordpeg
Warming Up

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2006 :  10:31:04 AM  Show Profile Send oxfordpeg a Private Message
Does anybody have any patterns for shawls on big needles? I like that idea, not sure if I'm really up to an afghan, but I am still very partial to the shawl idea if I could pull it off. I have the Mason-Dixon book on hold at the library but I am high up on a big queue...
Go to Top of Page

glccafar
Seriously Hooked

825 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2006 :  3:27:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit glccafar's Homepage Send glccafar a Private Message
The cover shawl of this book http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1931543577/102-2602533-4261727?v=glance&n=283155
is lots of fun to make, is a great stash buster, and uses big (size 17 or 19) needles.
It adapts very easily to the yarn you have on hand. The version I made turned out beautifully.
Go to Top of Page

lucienh
Honorary Angel

919 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  04:53:21 AM  Show Profile Send lucienh a Private Message
I'd go for the felted wine cozy plus bottle of good wine.
Go to Top of Page

oxfordpeg
Warming Up

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  4:48:15 PM  Show Profile Send oxfordpeg a Private Message
Thanks for all your great suggestions! I think I have made my mind up to make some knitted flowers, two little bouquets in the wedding colours because I just found out that they are not having bouquets or corsages or anything. I would make an afghan or shawls if I could, but there's just not enough time. This way I can make a keepsake little something for each of them and have a fun little project that is small enough to take on holiday with me (I'm going in less than a week to Kenya - explains why the short on time bit - I should have mentioned it before). I'm quite charmed by the idea and have been collecting flower patterns and ideas...it's going to be fun!
Go to Top of Page

celia
Permanent Resident

Australia
2454 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  4:59:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit celia's Homepage Send celia a Private Message
You can also knit with qire or a stuiff yarn and make little bracelets or necklaces if they are into that sort fo thing.

celia

Read my blog, or buy my handdyed yarn and handmade stitchmarkers. Also destashing here.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe