Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Lace Forum
 Heirloom Knitting, an amazing lace book
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  3:37:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
I came across a fabulous book today, Heirloom Knitting which I couldn't resist buying. At first I thought it was a new(!) Barbara Walker treasury for lace patterns but it's just that the cover and the inside layout makes you think that.

Anyway, it is overflowing with lace patterns, a few projects, and tons and tons of tips and instructions on knitting lace. I couldn't resist buying it on the spot, along with a new sock book but that's for the sock forum, because I had not seen it before and it seemed like such a find. It's from England, author is Sharon Miller, and after googling it when I got home I found it here:Heirloom Knitting
Take a look at it if you have a minute. When you get to the site there is a menu on the left and if you click on "Heirloom Knitting" you can see pages from the book as well as the table of contents.

If you are lace obsessed you will love this book.

GFTC of NYC

the pictures tell the story
www.flickr.com/photos/gftc_knits/

Vanadia
Gabber Extraordinaire

Denmark
511 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  4:24:50 PM  Show Profile Send Vanadia a Private Message
I love that book, it is my absolute favorite knitting book :-)

Did you look at the page with special offers on the Heirloom Knitting homepage?
I think you may get a pattern or needles for free, when you buy the book.
http://www.heirloom-knitting.co.uk/special_offers.html

Sharon Millers patterns are very well written with lots of details. I want to knit the wedding ring shawl some time in the future, got the pattern need to find the time...
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  5:29:27 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message
I've had that book for awhile now and it does have a lot of valuable information in it. Also has some interesting historical information. For those who have not seen it, it has many traditional Shetland lace patterns including many edging patterns. What it does not have is many project patterns. There are a few, not just shawls but some baby things and a few other assorted projects. It also does not have an index for the technical information although the stitch patterns are indexed.

Sharon Miller is working on a second book which is something to look forward to. This book is certainly a must-have for anyone interested in Shetland lace.
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Stripes
Gabber Extraordinaire

417 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  10:50:24 PM  Show Profile Send Lavender Stripes a Private Message
I haven't read the book, but I have made a pattern of hers-- the Rosebud Shawl-- and I plan to make the Wedding Ring Shawl this summer. The pattern was very clear and concise, and, as far as I saw, error free. Plus the charts were huge, which is always a help!
BTW-- don't quote me on this, because I'm not sure, but I think that she mentioned in the HK Group that the book had something to do with old shawls and restoring them... but I'm not sure.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/QueenLorien/USALaceTeam.jpg[/img]
Go to Top of Page

mbmoody
Gabber Extraordinaire

583 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2006 :  03:17:36 AM  Show Profile Send mbmoody a Private Message
I got this book off of Amazon. I'd had it on my wish list, and one day it came up at an unusually low price, so I snapped it up. I'm now waiting for the Simply Stunning collection from her website to arrive in the mail. I love kidsilk haze, and the combination of her lovely patterns and a great yarn was more than I could resist.
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2041 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2006 :  04:10:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message
Not only is the book great, but there is a Yahoo group "HeirloomKnitting" that is for help with Sharon's patterns, choice of yarns, how to's etc. It is a great group. On Sharon's site there is a spot that has pattern corrections. I have to limit my visits to her site, as I just drool all over the key board and stay way too long to feast my eyes.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2208 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2006 :  05:44:48 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
Sharon's site was one of the major reasons I finally learned to purl and started knitting lace.

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2006 :  07:22:24 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
I also love this site and have the book on my WANT list. I see if you buy from her she will send you a free pattern or if you buy a couple of patterns she will send you a freebie. Anyone done this?
Mario how long have you been doing lace, you work is really wonderful. It was you and DeAnn that got me into lace and I love it.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

sarah_knits
Chatty Knitter

161 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2006 :  08:02:46 AM  Show Profile Send sarah_knits a Private Message
I have bought a few patterns from Sharon's website. The patterns are great -- exceptionally detailed with tons of advice. When I purchased the patterns, I overlooked the free promotion, and Mike (Sharon's husband) emailed me shortly after I ordered saying that I got to pick a free one from a list. So that was really nice service. Zola, I'll bring the patterns I have to Tully's on Sunday so you can take a look. I am going to start one of the patterns after I finish my Flower Basket Shawl.

Sarah
Go to Top of Page

2trees
Seriously Hooked

749 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2006 :  10:32:50 AM  Show Profile Send 2trees a Private Message
I bought the book used, and mine has a few pen marks on it. I wish I had known about the free patt for ordering from her website. :( I'd have a nicer copy and a free beautiful pattern!

"Knitting lace has the highest entertainment value." - Yarn Harlot
Go to Top of Page

mbmoody
Gabber Extraordinaire

583 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2006 :  04:45:56 AM  Show Profile Send mbmoody a Private Message
I got the Simply Stunning collection yesterday. Really nice patterns, with lots of explanation. A handwritten note thanking me for my order came with it. Now I'm thinking of ordering the Angela wrap and yarn.
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2006 :  09:00:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message
After reading this thread yesterday morning, I looked at the book at my LYS yesterday afternoon. And the project my LYSO has almost finished came from the book. So I was making up my mind to buy it and then turned to the back cover to check the price ..... and nearly had a heart attack. The book is going on my wish list but I need to get my budget in balance before I spend two weeks grocery money on a single book.
Go to Top of Page

oneangel77
Gabber Extraordinaire

453 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2006 :  09:40:59 AM  Show Profile Send oneangel77 a Private Message
Holy cow. That was a bad website to send me to

Ok I am done drooling now. I have to go and find my Credit Card and get a few of those patterns!
Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2006 :  10:54:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
yes, aren't the patterns just too beautiful for words?

~Sarah Elizabeth
Spinners make the world go round.
Keep on knitting on!
http://knitonespintoo.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

2trees
Seriously Hooked

749 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2006 :  11:13:02 AM  Show Profile Send 2trees a Private Message
knitz2,
think of it as an investment. :)

"Knitting lace has the highest entertainment value." - Yarn Harlot
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2006 :  11:45:54 AM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
I have that book. It's got tons of information in it.

Regarding a pattern on the website, I wonder what the big difference is between this Print o' the Wave Stole and this Print o' the Wave stole. On first glance, they look very similar (I haven't looked at the two patterns closely).
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2006 :  1:46:33 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by WendyB

Regarding a pattern on the website, I wonder what the big difference is between this Print o' the Wave Stole and this Print o' the Wave stole. On first glance, they look very similar (I haven't looked at the two patterns closely).

Eunny Jang's Print o' the Wave is based on the original Print o' the Wave pattern. The Heirloom Knitting version is based on the Elaborated Print o' the Wave pattern which is a zig zag variation of the original.
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2006 :  1:51:36 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
Thanks for explaining the difference, Calamintha.
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2006 :  2:28:00 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message
Then of course, there is Fiddlesticks Flirty Ruffle Shawl which is also based on Print o the Wave!
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2006 :  7:08:15 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by knitz2

After reading this thread yesterday morning, I looked at the book at my LYS yesterday afternoon. And the project my LYSO has almost finished came from the book. So I was making up my mind to buy it and then turned to the back cover to check the price ..... and nearly had a heart attack. The book is going on my wish list but I need to get my budget in balance before I spend two weeks grocery money on a single book.

I got the book from Amazon for only thirty something dollars. The price changes from time to time, so if it's not discounted, put it in your wish list or buy later cart and watch it.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2006 :  10:02:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message
my LYS price is $55; Amazon's price is $56 (and the book ships in two to three weeks!) but there are "other sellers" who have it for less. I've never linked to another seller through Amazon, just use Amazon direct.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.77 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?