Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Favorite Designers
 Alice Starmore/Fair Isle
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DebbiOH
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
525 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  1:54:28 PM  Show Profile Send DebbiOH a Private Message
I went to a sewing retreat and the gal next to me had on a sweater that was on the cover of one of Alice Starmore's books. When I looked for the book I found that the sweater pattern was NOT included in that particular book. Now I'm on the hunt for the pattern. I've done a google search and Alice does have a website but this sweater is not there. Is there another place I can look for her "past" patterns or kits? This sweater on the cover is made of teals, reds, and blues. Clear as mud???? I hope not as I really am interested in this sweater, and not only did it look nice it fit nice

Debbi
NW Ohio

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  3:06:04 PM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message
I have all her books - if you can give a more accurate description, perhaps I can help.
Dicksie

http://tourdirector.smugmug.com/gallery/529635
Go to Top of Page

mbmoody
Gabber Extraordinaire

583 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  4:06:32 PM  Show Profile Send mbmoody a Private Message
Was the book the Fair Isle knitting one? There's a KAL on yahoo for the design Mara, which uses the colors you described. The KAL has details of where to find the pattern, including The Scottish Collection and an old copy of Workbasket.
Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  8:52:24 PM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
I think it sounds like Mara. I believe the pattern showed up in the first edition of the Fair Isle Knitting book but never appeared after that.
Go to Top of Page

tyffaneesue
Gabber Extraordinaire

572 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  9:18:32 PM  Show Profile Send tyffaneesue a Private Message
http://www.knittingbeyondthehebrides.org/gallery_files/g_Veronique_Mara1.jpg
Go to Top of Page

DebbiOH
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
525 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  06:46:07 AM  Show Profile Send DebbiOH a Private Message
MB has it right. It's on the cover of FairIsle Knitting. Dicksey, can you confirm that the sweater in NOT in that book like I remember. I'm going to check out the site for the KAL. It's probably old as the hills huh!!!?????

Debbi
NW Ohio
Go to Top of Page

DebbiOH
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
525 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  06:56:53 AM  Show Profile Send DebbiOH a Private Message
YES TYFFANEESUE, THAT'S IT....oh sorry for yelling. Can you tell me where you got the pattern??? I know the yarns aren't going to be available anymore but I think I can wing that.

Debbi
NW Ohio
Go to Top of Page

purlwise
Chatty Knitter

259 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  5:28:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlwise's Homepage Send purlwise a Private Message
Right now I have a copy of her Fair Isle book (hard cover edition published by Tauton) from the library. Yes, while it is shown on the cover, there is no pattern in the book. However, part of the chart is printed on the inside cover and the next page but not the pattern.

It's odd that it wasn't included as a pattern.

Regards,
Melinda
www.purlwise.com
Go to Top of Page

DebbiOH
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
525 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  11:07:41 AM  Show Profile Send DebbiOH a Private Message
I looked at Yahoo groups and couldn't find a KAL for the Mara sweater. I could have over looked the group if it was a general knitting group with a KAL as their project. I sure appreciate everyone's advice. I love that sweater.

Debbi
NW Ohio
Go to Top of Page

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  3:34:03 PM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message
Hi Debbie -
Sorry to be slow getting back to you (if I told you what was happening at my house you would understand!).
If the pattern is Mara, it is published as a vest as well as a cardigan in The Scottish Collection. I know it is next to impossible to find that particular book, but if you have access to a copy of the original Alice Starmore's Book of Fair Isle Knitting, you will notice that Mara is the design on the front cover that she is knitting, the charts are on the end papers (front and back), and the chart photo on the back. In the chapter, Creating your own designs (pp 161-2), you can see the evolution from basic chart to color chart, to knitted fabric. I don't think I would be violating any copyright issues if I tell you the body of the cardigan is knit over 299, 335, and 371 stitches. Just as an aside, the little girl on p. 116 and 128 is Jade, now a fine designer in her own right. I don't know about the knitalong, but someone wrote me several weeks ago about participating in it. I've not heard anything more.
Dicksie

Go to Top of Page

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  4:41:52 PM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message
Just did a search for the Yahoo group - here's the link:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Mara_class/
Dicksie

Go to Top of Page

DebbiOH
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
525 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  09:12:06 AM  Show Profile Send DebbiOH a Private Message
Thanks Dicksie

Debbi
NW Ohio
Go to Top of Page

Becky in MO
Seriously Hooked

769 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  04:02:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Becky in MO a Yahoo! Message Send Becky in MO a Private Message
Does ANYONE know how to request for this book to be republished?!?!!! I can not tell you how much I WANT this book. But I just can't see paying $150 for the book (or anywhere near it). And I"m sure I am not the only one who wants it.

Any suggestions?? Never have done this before.
Go to Top of Page

DebbiOH
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
525 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  11:21:05 AM  Show Profile Send DebbiOH a Private Message
Crazy isn't it? I wrote to the contact on the Alice Starmore site but never heard a thing. The book looks great. I can't even get it through the Ohio library system. Too bad. I'd think that the sales would be worth it.

Debbi
NW Ohio
Go to Top of Page

yoppie
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  6:15:17 PM  Show Profile Send yoppie a Private Message
A hearty 'here-here' to that comment about the Alice Starmore publications! Why should 'new' knitter's have the misfortune of not getting their hands on patterns that many consider 'classic'? Why can't some(all) of her earlier books that are getting such outrageous prices, be either reprinted or put together in some sort of a series of collections? These books would no doubt do well at the bookstores and on the web as far as sales would go. I am one of the relative 'new comers' to knitting and I see all these beautiful sweaters/designs that people have done from such publications as 'The Scottish Collection' and 'Stillwater' ( I am not certain of the exact title)- but for now I have to just settle for looking at someone else's handiwork. I also wrote to 'Virtual Yarn' and did not receive any explanation about why reprinted or collections of patterns are not being made available......no reply at all. Oh well, enough frustration. I will reab 'blogs' and maybe someday will be good enough to design my own FairIsle cardigan from scratch.. :) ! Happy knitting to all, 'yoppie'
Go to Top of Page

Slipped Stitch
Warming Up

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  10:42:37 PM  Show Profile Send Slipped Stitch a Private Message
I too wuld like to see Alice Starmore's books available again.

There is one thing worse, though, than never having bought one of her books that's having had one and lost it.

Starmore's Sweaters for Men had many designs that I knit for DH and he wore them! Someone ( I have my suspicions as to exactly whom just can't prove it ) "borrowed" my copy and it is now gone. My local shop says they can get a used copy for me -- but for $750.00, so going that route is out of the question.
Go to Top of Page

glccafar
Seriously Hooked

825 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  06:51:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit glccafar's Homepage Send glccafar a Private Message
Don't worry, Slipped Stitch. Sweaters for Men isn't too hard to find on ebay or used book sites online for around $40-$60. It's not a terribly popular one.
Go to Top of Page

scarlet
Chatty Knitter

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  9:28:41 PM  Show Profile Send scarlet a Private Message
I WISH that these earlier books would be republished. I too would LOVE to have a crack at making them, but I'm not willing to pay the buku bucks it would cost to buy them off ebay etc. Unfortunately, iirc there's some publishing dispute or other and she can't put them back up. :( :(

Always wear your seatbelt. It makes it harder for the aliens to snatch you from your car.
Go to Top of Page

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2006 :  12:00:31 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message
The last word I had on the Starmore books availability was 4-6 years ago and Ms Starmore, her previous publishers, the yarn company and her current attorneys were all in a massive mutual sue me, sue you, sod you all-fest.
I was told (but cannot verify) that Ms. Starmore felt or was stiffed on royalties on reprints and was suing to get all rights to previously printed patterns returned. It was pretty nasty at one point, so I got over it and quit paying attention.
LLinn
Go to Top of Page

lazydaisy
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  10:24:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit lazydaisy's Homepage Send lazydaisy a Private Message
Yes, Aran Knitting by Alice Starmore is on my "favorites to buy" list on ebay but I just can't make myself pony up the funds. However, keep looking. I bought her Fair Isle knitting book at an estate sale for $5. Also, old Elisabeth Zimmerman newsletters turn up quite regularly.
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2006 :  04:48:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
I was just able to get the Fair Isle book on inter-library loan. I'm returning it 2 days late (you can't renew inter-library loans) because I'm so reluctant to return. As I return one, I request a different one. So far, this is the one rare one I'd like to have for myself.

Right now I'm crossing my fingers that the tattoo next weekend will cost less than I thought and the money I've saved can buy me the book.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.7 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by