Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Stuck on a Pattern
 Knitty Blu: "fake seam"
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rebeccaL
Seriously Hooked

721 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  5:40:33 PM  Show Profile Send rebeccaL a Private Message
I am knitting the baby jeans from Knitty called Blu. The pattern is here:
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter05/PATTblu.html

Here´s where I get stuck. It says "drop next st from left needle and unravel down to first row. Using a spare knitting needle, pick the 'ladders' of the dropped stitch up again, but instead of picking up each ladder individually as you normally would to repair a dropped stitch, pick up 1 ladder, then 2 ladders together, repeating this sequence until you have picked up all the ladders."

Huh?????? Ok, so I unravel and I have those bars across. So by "pick up 1 ladder" is that like you recreate that stitch, then when you pick 2 up together you get two at the same time and put the loop through the 2 at once? This makes absolutely no sense to me.

(I also don't get the bit about the waistband using waste yarn. Is she just suggesting using waste yarn to make a tie for the waistband?)

Thanks for any advice!
Rebecca

Carolyn
Chatty Knitter

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  6:34:30 PM  Show Profile Send Carolyn a Private Message
It's much easier to make the "phony seam" using a suitably sized crochet hook. Just treat the double loop on the hook the same as the single one every other row.

The waste yarn in the waistband is just temporary to hold the stitches without binding off. It will be removed when you sew down the inside of the band over the elastic.
Go to Top of Page

rebeccaL
Seriously Hooked

721 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  6:50:21 PM  Show Profile Send rebeccaL a Private Message
Thanks!
Are you basically re-knitting that row like you are fixing it, you´re just doubling up every other row?

Rebecca
Go to Top of Page

Carolyn
Chatty Knitter

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  7:29:53 PM  Show Profile Send Carolyn a Private Message
Yes, that's exactly what you will be doing - reknitting a column of stitches. Be careful to stop the raveling at the first row - don't undo the cast-on.
Go to Top of Page

Knitasha
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
355 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2006 :  3:01:09 PM  Show Profile Send Knitasha a Private Message
Or you could skip the step altogether.
It's not worth driving yourself nuts over.

Elizabeth Zimmerman came up with the "phoney"(her spelling in the original editions)seam to satisfy people who can't stand the idea of a knit-in-the-round sweater without side seams. The pants will be just as adorable without them, and the baby will probably outgrow them before any twisting occurs -- if indeed any does.
Go to Top of Page

joym624
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2006 :  7:11:15 PM  Show Profile Send joym624 a Private Message
I like the way this seam makes clothes easy to fold. I just used it on a Cabin Fever shell and it looks great. And yes, a crochet hook makes it easy to do.

Joy

www.joyofyarn.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.