Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Dyeing Basics
 Cabbage cabbage everywhere
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

quirky
Chatty Knitter

329 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  6:58:15 PM  Show Profile Send quirky a Private Message
I have a bird that loves red cabbage. But she only eats a few ounces off a head. Thats a waste of 2 to 3 lbs cabbage every week or so! I am going to try using the cabbage for dye.
I read that cabbage dyes react differently to how acidic the water is. Obviously this means one can vary the ph of the water for different colors.

I am facinated by this and was wondering if anyone here has any first hand experience. What additive did you use and what color did you obtain?

flutebabe
Seriously Hooked

968 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  06:38:12 AM  Show Profile Send flutebabe a Private Message
Well, I Googled and came up with the following images. Each image mentions the natural dyestuff and the additive. Not sure if it is any help, but it is kind of interesting to look at:

http://www.tahlia.org/blogger/postpics/dye/dye050831/dyeskeins2.htm

Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  07:55:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message
What a great site! Thanks for the link.

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
Go to Top of Page

maggiemae
New Pal

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  07:54:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit maggiemae's Homepage Send maggiemae a Private Message
Wow, that is a great site, thank you! How did the cabbage experiment go, did you try it? I have some boiling to dye right now.....

I dyed with annato seeds last night - gorgeous deep orange/yellow color, no mordant required. cool!

-maggie

I know that I am in the wrong universe, because where/somewhen, I am recieving a backrub, and it is not here/now. - Ken Comer
Go to Top of Page

Momo
Seriously Hooked

635 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  1:51:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momo's Homepage Send Momo a Private Message
Cabbage "juice" can be used as a pH indicator. It should be purplish-red as a neutral solution. If you add acid to it (vinegar, lemon juice) then it will turn red (how red depends on how acid). If you mix it with something basic (baking soda, ammonia) it will turn greeny.

I did a fun arts and crafts project where I soaked sheets of paper in cabbage solution and then let the kids "paint" with lemon juice and a baking soda solution.

This could be a really fun experiment to do for hand painting yarn. If you soaked the hank in the neutral solution you could change colors on part of the yarn by painting it with different pH solutions. What could you do to make it stay that way?

Cheers,

Charc

My Blog and FOs
Go to Top of Page

ForestBird
Chatty Knitter

USA
265 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  5:16:05 PM  Show Profile Send ForestBird a Private Message
Yes, but how permanent would a cabbage dye be, what with washing and wearing and sweating and all? Even if one washed carefully with gentle soap, some dye will invariably wash away rather quickly I should think. Not a problem if your project is going under glass and protected from exposure to sunlight. Even if you just use it for a handbag, the sweat and oils on one's hands might interact unfavorably.

That's the inherent problem with natural dyes...

"Art is the imposing of a pattern on experience, and our aesthetic enjoyment is recognition of the pattern."
Alfred North Whitehead, Dialogues (1954)
Go to Top of Page

quirky
Chatty Knitter

329 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  08:03:38 AM  Show Profile Send quirky a Private Message
I havent actually used my cabbage dyed yarn for anything. I was a bit disapointed with the color. It came out about the color of bandaids - but the stretchy cloth kind, not the plastic kind.
It is not really ugly - just not what I wanted. If I were feeling kind I might say it is "shell pink" or more poetically, "sugar tan". And then there is the spinning. lol This is seriously overspun stuff.
I have not done any testing of wash or light fastness.
But it could still be a useful dye for tapestry and other items that do not get a lot of handling.
Go to Top of Page

quirky
Chatty Knitter

329 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  08:08:20 AM  Show Profile Send quirky a Private Message
charc - you got me thinking about that yarn. I pulled it out and tested it, I wasnt sure if the color would be affected by acidity or not. I am happy to say that at full strength vinegar did not affect the color. I am letting a sample sit with the vinegar on it for a while. Several hours. We shall see if there are changes later :D
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe