Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Lace Forum
 lace newbie problems/question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  07:41:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message
Hi,

I was so pleased to finish the border on the Shetland shawl I started in a LYS lace class. It was so fun to be working the length of the shawl. However, about 8 rows in, I realized that, of course, I had the wrong number of stitches. As I examined my work carefully, I saw to my horror that I had dropped some stitches all the way back to practically the pick up row. OK. And I had not used a lifeline. Why oh why, when I had used lifelines throughout the 18-stitch-wide border?? OK. I used another circular needle to pick up an earlier stockinette row, and began frogging back. To my distress, the Zephyr broke. So here is the question. How do you attach yarn in a lace shawl? A spit splice? If I attach at the beginning of a row, is there any way to hide the ends?

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/

MMario
Permanent Resident

2210 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  07:47:37 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
reccommended would be spit splice or Russian join; I personally would commit the 'GREAT HERESY' and use a knot.

don't forget though - sometimes it is much easier to use a crochet hook and work that dropped stitch back up then to frog or tink back.

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  09:42:46 AM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message
I have successfully spit splice Zephyr so that's what I would use.

As I recall, you are making the edging first? I have made a few Shetland Shawls but have always made the center diamond first and then added the edging last. I'll be interested to hear how it goes doing it the other way around (which I think may be the more traditional if memory serves).
Go to Top of Page

lsm
Chatty Knitter

245 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  09:44:18 AM  Show Profile Send lsm a Private Message
Spit splice the yarn, or, depending on the stitch pattern, you may be able to hide the ends later with an embroidery needle - just leave the ends hanging to deal with later.
Go to Top of Page

VickiKK
Seriously Hooked

935 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  11:40:48 AM  Show Profile Send VickiKK a Private Message
Sally Melville's third book has a great knot that we learned in her class. It is really really small. I usually spit splice but am currently am using a lace weight that I haven't been successful with the spit.

Vicki near Seattle
Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  7:06:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message
thanks folks. I will let you know how it works.

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.8 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?