Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Lace Forum
 How to use a lifeline?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnittyElf
Warming Up

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  8:06:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit KnittyElf's Homepage Send KnittyElf a Private Message
I'm an experienced knitter, but I'm ashamed to say that the very first time I heard about lifelines was TEN MINUTES AGO while reading posts on this forum! What a great idea! I get the general idea, but can anyone give me more specifics? I mean, do I just thread a string through all the stitches on a row and pull it out after I'm done, or is there more of a technique to it? What (if anything) should I do with the YOs on the row? Also, is there any specific type of string to use? I'm assuming the smaller, the better, so the stitches don't get stretched. Should I use embroidery thread or very thin (and cheap!) crochet thread?

~ the KnittyElf :)

bogiebogie
Permanent Resident

USA
1076 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  8:36:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit bogiebogie's Homepage Send bogiebogie a Private Message
Yes, you take some waste yarn and a tapestry needle and go through all the stitches on your needle including YO's. Think of the waste yarn as being able to take the place of your needle, because that'll be the result if you have to rip back to a lifeline. One difference though, go *around* the stitch markers.

If I'm knitting lace which has a row of decreases & YO's followed by a row of purl stitches, I'll put the lifeline in the purl row.

As far as what to use, I like using a thin waste yarn or string that doesn't shed or split. Crochet cotton or sock yarn works well.

One last tip--if you're knitting a complicated pattern, consider having multiple lifelines just in case you don't catch an error right away. On one of my projects, I had 3 lifelines in every 10 rows. Suspenders, a belt, and coveralls.

--JK
http://knitflix.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KnittyElf
Warming Up

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  9:47:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit KnittyElf's Homepage Send KnittyElf a Private Message
Thanks for your help! I love your blog, by the way. I've been reading it for the past couple of months, and I think your FOs and commentary are great.

Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  11:16:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message
http://www.yarn-store.com/knitting-machine-ravel-cord.html

The best thing I have found for a life line is ravel cord. The only place I hae found to buy it is Angelicas (? sp), but the link above will get you there. It is a nylon type cord that can be used over and over. It pulls out without stress on my finest lace projects. I have both the white and the card of colored cords. I have cut the yellow cord in about 10" lengths and use the pieces for lace edging life lines. Just thread a blunt tapistry needle with the ravel cord and thread it thru your stitches. Treat your yarn overs just like any other stitch.

Some people like dental floss. Use anything you want. It's the end result that matters.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  07:14:59 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Sharon thanks for the heads up on the ravel cord.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

HoJo
Permanent Resident

USA
1474 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  07:47:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit HoJo's Homepage Send HoJo a Private Message
I often use dental floss. The unflavored kind! Make sure you leave at least 6" on each side so that there's wiggle room. One of my knitting buddies doubles the length of the lifeline and knots them together so that the stitches can fall off if she needs to rip back.

HoJo

Visit us at: www.fullthreadahead.com
Yarn for the mind, body, and soul

My blog: www.fullthreadahead.com/blog
Go to Top of Page

txtapdancer
Chatty Knitter

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  6:45:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit txtapdancer's Homepage Send txtapdancer a Private Message
I too use multiple lifelines and wouldn't knit lace without them. I use a single ply of embroidery floss. I'm knitting the Peacock Shawl using Denise needles. When I come to a purl row, I string the floss through the small hole at the base of the empty needle. Then, as I purl the stitches, they slide down the needle and over the lifeline. When I get to the end of the row, I pull the loose end free, even out the floss on either side and it's done.

I like to add lifelines on the purl rows, because those stitches are easier pick up.

--Julia
Go to Top of Page

KnittyElf
Warming Up

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  10:46:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit KnittyElf's Homepage Send KnittyElf a Private Message
Thanks for the great advice, everyone! I'll be sure to put it to use when I start my next lace project. I just ordered some Misti Alpaca lace the other day!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?