Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Introduce yourself!
 Yarnaholic from suburban NJ
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  5:50:57 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message
Hi,

My name is Anne. I am a Yarnaholic.

I've been knitting on and off for years. My grandmother taught me the first time around, then the neighbor lady tried (with PeptoBismal Pink yarn), and then I taught myself at least three times. The last time it stuck.

My general level of knitting ability is probably intermediate. I like having several projects going at the same time--an idiot project and something more complicated. I'm still at the stage of saying, "gee, that looked good on the model--what happened?" and my gauge has a tendency to redesign the fit of a garment as I go on.

My current active non-idiot WIP is a basic tank designed from "A Knitter's Template" using discontinued Trendsetter Marbella. I swore after doing a similar tank out of Incredible that I would NEVER work with another ribbon yarn. But this stuff was half off and followed me home from the yarnstore.

I've enjoyed lurking and finally decided to take the jump and unlurk. I really like the company and the collective level of experience.

Anne

Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow.

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  6:00:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
Hi, Anne! I think you're in like company around here; it seems like just about everyone is a yarnaholic at KR :-) Not I, of course. I almost never buy yarn. (Don't ask about unspun fiber, though--that's a whole different story!)

Welcome to the forum, and happy knits!

--Susan T-O in Long Beach CA

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the
most discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny.'" --Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

pieheart
Permanent Resident

1872 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  6:01:15 PM  Show Profile Send pieheart a Private Message
Welcome to the forums from a fellow Jersey-ite!

pieheart

Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday----Dale Carnegie
blog: http://museknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alessa
Warming Up

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  6:02:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alessa's Homepage Send Alessa a Private Message
Welcome! I'm from Jersey too!
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  04:58:36 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
Welcome from Arkansas. Definitely a yarn junkie here. I do buy online but I prefer buying in person because I like to touch the yarn before I buy it.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  05:26:27 AM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi Anne,

Welcome to Knitters Review Forums and so glad you could join our knitting community.

Hope you have fun and make many new friends here.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

Old Knitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
790 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  05:29:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Old Knitter's Homepage Send Old Knitter a Private Message
Hi Anne and welcome. I hate to tell you this, but no matter how long you live you will occasionally knit something and say, "Gee, that looked good on the model, what happened?"

www.knittinghaven.com
Go to Top of Page

cadavidson
Chatty Knitter

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  2:21:27 PM  Show Profile Send cadavidson a Private Message
Hello from Washington State.
You made me LOL - I too am a yarnaholic - I can't seem to stop, although I have slowed down a bit, just a bit.
I buy my yarn anywhere and everywhere. I am constantly making things that don't look nearly as good on me as on the model - hmmmm.
Welcome.

Claudia
Go to Top of Page

janev
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  05:07:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit janev's Homepage Send janev a Private Message
Hi Anne,
Welcome! - We can always use another yarnaholic on this forum!
I live in Maine, but grew up in Clifton, NJ. Still miss the pizza and hard rolls - just can't get good ones in Maine! I'll be visiting my sister in July, she lives in the western part of NJ now. Any good yarn shops around you?

Jane
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
www.janevdoviak.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

margeaa
Chatty Knitter

USA
318 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  6:53:14 PM  Show Profile Send margeaa a Private Message
Welcome Anne from another Jersey Girl! Where in NJ do you live? I live down the shore.

Marge
Go to Top of Page

pieheart
Permanent Resident

1872 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  8:05:37 PM  Show Profile Send pieheart a Private Message
Jane, you may not be able to get real kaisers, but oh, my, the blueberries in Maine! Nothing like them!

Make sure you get some Pechter's bread while you are visiting. Hmmm...I haven't had any myself for a while, I think tomorrow I need to make a trip to the deli.

pieheart

Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday----Dale Carnegie
blog: http://museknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mama Cat
Permanent Resident

1223 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  08:51:26 AM  Show Profile Send Mama Cat a Private Message
I'm also a Jersey Girl (slightly west of NYC), and quite new to this forum. It is fabulous and I'm sure I'll be a regular here. I've been following some knitting blogs for a while and they're great, but there is a different "feel" when you have a community.
Go to Top of Page

~bananaKnits~
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  10:07:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit ~bananaKnits~'s Homepage  Send ~bananaKnits~ a Yahoo! Message Send ~bananaKnits~ a Private Message
Welcome from Venice Beach California, lots of yarnaholics around here. I for one have been addicted for most of my life. Quite frankly there is no cure.....

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck

Happy Knitting,

ana

http://bananaknits.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  6:11:52 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message
Hello again,

Sorry to have taken so long to reply--I teach & end of the semester madness hit.

It's amazing that there are so many Jerseyians here. I live in suburban Essex county, which is west of Newark and NY. After a period of haunting the shelves at Michael's, Rag Shop, Treasure Island, and AC Moore, I'm just rediscovering the LYSs around here--there's one in Millburn, a couple in Madison & Chatham, at least one in Montclair. There's also the Yarnware store in West Orange. It's very quiet in there, but they're nice. I've got some Cotton Classic on order from them for my next knitting adventure

It's nice to know that I'm not alone in not having things quite come out the way I expect them. Since my last post, I managed another six inches on my current project, discovered a dropped stitch 3 inches back, frogged it, put the stitches back on the needle, counted, and discovered that there were two extra stitches. I frogged back down to where I thought the problem was, still came up with two extra stitches, and gave up. Oh well. But guess what? Ribbon yarn doesn't twist the second time around.

Now that classes are over, I hope I'll be in here more often.

Anne

Go to Top of Page

Beverly the Bronx Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  10:17:25 AM  Show Profile Send Beverly the Bronx Girl a Private Message
Erma Bombeck said it right. She was quite a lady.Blessings, Beverly
Go to Top of Page

Mama Cat
Permanent Resident

1223 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  10:49:33 AM  Show Profile Send Mama Cat a Private Message
Anne, I'm in Essex too. I didn't know there was a yarn store in Millburn - must go check out!!! I've been to yarnware though, and once or twice to the place in Maplewood before it closed. There is possibly a new knitting group forming in Maplewood / South Orange, Wednesdays at 5:30 at the Dancing Goat in South Orange. Check out a thread on Maplewoodonline:

http://www.southorangevillage.com/discus/messages/3135/119494.html?1151343172

There's also a long-standing group that meets Saturdays at 9 AM in the Maplewood train station, at Pen & Jen's tea bar. I've never gone but I've heard it's a great group.
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  8:02:26 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message
Mama Cat, the new Maplewood group sounds good, especially if it meets on a Tuesday evening 9 AM on Saturdays doesn't work for me though. The Millburn store All About Yarn (I think). It's on Millburn Ave, near the theater. It's smaller than Yarnware.

Anne

Go to Top of Page

Mama Cat
Permanent Resident

1223 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  06:06:48 AM  Show Profile Send Mama Cat a Private Message
In case anybody else from the area is monitoring this thread, the group is meeting tonight (6/27) from 6 - 8 at Here's 2 The Arts in Maplewood.

I'll have to check out this Millburn store .... even if it's small, I want to support the LYS!
Go to Top of Page

mes9802
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  09:35:56 AM  Show Profile  Send mes9802 a Yahoo! Message Send mes9802 a Private Message
Hi Anne! I am also in the NJ area and a Yarnaholic. Still new to the area, wondering how far Essex County is from the Plainsboro/Princeton area. The only yarn shop I have found is Pins & Needles & the folks there are great. Please let me know if there are any types of get-togethers in the area as I am missing my knitting friend in CA right now and would love to meet some new knitters!

Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  10:22:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
jersey girl reluctantly dumped in pa

hihi

vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  12:31:39 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message
mes9802,

Princeton is about an hour away from where I live. I haven't spent much time there, but DH used to commute back and forth to various jobs in the area.

I came up with this on google:

Glenmarle Woolworks
The Princeton Shopping Center
301 North Harrison St
Princeton NJ 08540
609-921-8009

I sympathize with you on missing knitting friends. We used to live in Chicago (among other places), and my two best friends there were a weaver and a potter. The weaver had a "craft night" (early S&B) that I went to occasionally. There were great yarn shops in the area too.

THEN we moved to NJ. None of my new friends knit or did anything similar, and yarn shops were going out of business right and left. (That was 20 years ago, during the Great Knitting Drought). I stopped knitting after a few disasters (no moral support) and only picked it up again last year when one of the women at work was struggling through her first scarf. She's now decided she prefers crochetting to knitting, but we hang out together one night a week during the school year after I've finished teaching my course while she babysits a quiet office.

It's been a godsend having someone with similar interests. Last semester we put together an afgahn for Warm Up America and are currently plotting strategies for getting more people involved come the fall.

Anne

Anne

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.88 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?