Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Lace Forum
 fear of an edge
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bluecheer1013
New Pal

34 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  05:46:56 AM  Show Profile Send bluecheer1013 a Private Message
I'm on row 24 or 38 or something (had to frog so many times I lost track)
of my pi shawl.Other than my latest frog(12 rows of 581 sts- DOH!)
SO my question is are there any way to just knit out the edge.I'm afraid to try knitting on an edge & effing this monster-I mean masterpiece- up.Just trying to plan ahead for once.

bluecheer1013

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1939 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  07:03:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message
You can just knit a pattern on the edge. Choose what you want, make sure you have enough stitches for the repeats and knit away. Just make sure your bind off is very very very loose so you can block.

But, don't be afraid of the side bind off. Swatch it first and you'll loose all fear.

Knit a swatch, can be a square, then pick up along the edges. These live stitches will be your "live" stitches to bind off. Now begin your edging.

I did a simple cast on 8 stitches, k1, yo, k2tog to the last stitch and then knit the last stitch and the 1st bind off together, turned and knit back. Nothing fancy but I was able to block it with nice scalloped edges. I was able to use a short double point for my edging.

Hope that helps.

Linda in Va

http://wallisknits.blogspot.com
http://www.eweknitkits.com
http://tkgv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

bluecheer1013
New Pal

34 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  12:36:30 PM  Show Profile Send bluecheer1013 a Private Message
Thank's Linda.I guess I needed to know I wouldn't be wussing out if I wanted to knit it out.
I'm going to swatch as you suggested & see what happens.

bluecheer1013
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  1:49:38 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message
I would encourage you to try to do the knitted on lace edging in the pattern. Lace edgings really add a lot to a shawl and really are not very hard to do. Just follow the instructions as they are written. It is not as hard as you might think.

If for some reason you decide you don't like doing it, it is much easier to frog because you are knitting sideways to the main part of the shawl. You knit the last stitch of the edging on the WS with a live stitch from the main part of the shawl.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe