Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Started your holiday projects yet?
 Six months left, how're you doing?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Knit Yall
Warming Up

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  06:18:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Knit Yall's Homepage Send Knit Yall a Private Message
Wendy M. I love your idea of raw sheep's wool! You certainly made me chuckle ... The idea of cookies in a jar too - I love homemade gifts because they come with a lot of thought and love behind them.

I have finished 2 dishcloths from Mason Dixon Knitting ... and the baby kimono ... no clue who that is for ... no babies in my family - yet!

Knit Ya'll and have a ball... jane
www.theyarngrove.com
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  06:33:28 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by gwtreece

Working on dishcloths as gifts this year. Only have 6 done. Working on them between projects.

Wanda
My Blog

Wanda- what pattern are you using. I'm thinking of doing them also- I can practice stitches.

I'm going to just take socks and dishcloths to knit in the car on our long trip in August. Great portables. KL
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  06:53:01 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
I pretty much have stuck to the grandmother pattern. Cast on 4 stitches, knit. Next row k2, yo, k to end. Repeat until 44 (or is it 45 stitches on needle). K2, k2tg, knit to end. Repeat until 4 stitches left, bind off.

As a gift, I find this is a simple, quick and a pattern that everyone loves. Plus I get whip 1 out in a few hours. When I got my first set of dishcloths from my mom's neighbor as a wedding pattern, this is the same pattern she gave me. I like to give out at least 6 dishcloths in my gift to someone, so speed is important for my design.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  06:57:24 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
Thanks, Wanda- I'll cast on today-you all now have in a panic about Xmas! KL
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  07:44:58 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
Be sure to check out http://www.jimsyldesign.com/~dishbout/kpatterns/knitting.html

Page 2 has Grandmas fav pattern

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  08:22:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
Ooh, a dishcloth boutique! I need to go print a few patterns now!

-WendyM[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/smallspindlepic.gif[/IMG]
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  11:42:31 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
This site is amazing!

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

VioletKnits
New Pal

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  09:58:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit VioletKnits's Homepage  Send VioletKnits a Yahoo! Message Send VioletKnits a Private Message
last year, i started in july, and i still had to scramble! but this year, i started my to-knit list in june, and i've already got one project done!
a toddler vest for my cousin.

i'll make it this time, really!

Knit it, Violet!
Go to Top of Page

suzannevh
Gabber Extraordinaire

565 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  11:51:15 AM  Show Profile Send suzannevh a Private Message
Violet - That's an adorable car themed vest!!!

Check out my project pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/suzannehandicrafts/
Go to Top of Page

Dspen89
Chatty Knitter

330 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  3:31:07 PM  Show Profile Send Dspen89 a Private Message
I'm sticking to EASY things so I may actually get them done (maybe).

I've already finished some scarves for my Aunties in Blue Heron Bulky Chenille (I get a lot of compliments on the one I made myself awhile back). I've also made them some slipper socks out of Berroco Pleasure. (I love them so much I may keep those....) And a hat for DH out of GGH Goa. My daughters keep just about everything else I make....before I can even think of saying it's for someone else...hmmmm

My Aunties and my Mom are fun to knit for, they still make me feel so tickled when they get one of my knits, just like when I was a kid! LOL! They make such a big fuss!

I've got handwarmers in the works, but only have finished 1 pair. Those size 1 needles are kind of getting on my nerves. I swear they're "bending" more and more, I'm just waiting to hear "SNAP".
I may space those out and give them in 2007! Eureka! What a great idea!!

I've bought tons of great yarns this month, but all those are for projects for ME! It's going to be a good Christmas!

Dawn

Go to Top of Page

scarlet
Chatty Knitter

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  4:56:17 PM  Show Profile Send scarlet a Private Message
making progress here. first 10 inches of Stornoway body finished, and Inishmore's back is done as well as the ribbing plus a bit of the front.

Always wear your seatbelt. It makes it harder for the aliens to snatch you from your car.
Go to Top of Page

westcoastchica
Seriously Hooked

Canada
788 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  10:28:50 AM  Show Profile Send westcoastchica a Private Message
Holiday projects? I'm barely recovered from the BABY BOOM among my friends and family this summer!

Last year, I made gloves or socks for everybody. And boy, was I scrambling! Of course, everybody loved them and is hoping for more handmades this year. I'm cringing. My mum and sister are getting socks, and then my usual New Year's party crew *might* get ski tuques (my SO, his brothers, and their associated girlfriends/buddies pick a BC ski resort for a few days around New Year's every year...). But I'm thinking that I'll probably only start knitting for weddings/babies now. Otherwise it's just too much, the last thing I want is to feel like a Christmas-present factory.

I did tell my sister that I'd knit her a sweater; she could pick the pattern, we'd pick the yarn together... she has a few candidate patterns in mind. Fortunately, she won't really care if it's late for Christmas since she has a January birthday anyways. :-)

I do think I'll make a few dishcloths for my girlfriends; they have yet to discover the joy of knitted scrubby cloths... and I have a shwack of Peaches n' Cream I need to use up anyways...

Maria

http://sapphyreknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

typingN
Chatty Knitter

145 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  07:04:26 AM  Show Profile Send typingN a Private Message
I am in the process of making different items from my stash--neck cozies, little purses, etc. I have not put a name or a face to the items but I am making a stash out of my stash. And I feel pretty good.

JEG
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  08:20:46 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
Violet, the vest is sooooo cute.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3935 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  1:58:26 PM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message
Little over 5 months - no problem -- I can save enough money to buy everyone's gift in that time frame.

Donna in VA
Go to Top of Page

csutliff
Chatty Knitter

USA
281 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2006 :  12:01:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit csutliff's Homepage Send csutliff a Private Message
This is my first year that I have thought I was good enough to make knitted gifts. The problem is my head is just spinning thinking about it. I have bought sock yarn for all three of my daughters and that is not a problem as I can crank those out pretty fast...
It is people asking me to just knit them up something. Even relative strangers seriously ask me to knit them things. I find this very embarrassing and don't know how to say, "Are you out of your ever lov'in mind?" I always find it slightly insulting when the few who actually think to offer the yarn do so as if they were doing me the favor. Wow that sounded bitter...but dammit...I would never dream of asking someone to make me an entire sweater or the one I got last night...a man actually asked me to knit him a sweater for a teddy bear he wanted to buy. AARGH! I have to get to Christmas knitting, not make teddy bears clothes.
Crystal
I think I might post this as a topic

"Knitters Irony: Knitting a sheep"
http://www.freewebs.com/csutliff/
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2006 :  12:14:32 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
csutliff, don't be embarassed. Next time someone expects you to knit for them, for the cheapo price of yarn, tell them "I'll knit for you if you do whatever it is you do for a living, for me, for free" or "I'll knit for you provided you pay me at least what my employer does per hour." That shuts them up very quickly.

I don't see other professionals or skilled workers spending all thier free time making things for others at no cost.

http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
http://www.femiknits.blog-city.com/knitting_for_canadian_troops.htm
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Stripes
Gabber Extraordinaire

417 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2006 :  07:27:19 AM  Show Profile Send Lavender Stripes a Private Message
I'm planning. Does that count? But seriously, I'm making a vest for my Dad, which I have started, and I am making wristwarmers for my mom, for which I have been preparing, oh, and I am making socks for one of my sisters. I'm not sure about my other sisters or my brother. I'll probably get my brother a book, and I might make another sister a scarf or socks or something.

Go to Top of Page

scarlet
Chatty Knitter

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2006 :  07:29:20 AM  Show Profile Send scarlet a Private Message
On to the sleeves for Inishmore.... it's getting closer. :)

Always wear your seatbelt. It makes it harder for the aliens to snatch you from your car.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 4 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?