Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Introduce yourself!
 Hello, from the warm twisty roads of So. Cal!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SpinKnitRide
New Pal

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  09:25:24 AM  Show Profile Send SpinKnitRide a Private Message
Hello everyone!

I just wanted to say hello to everyone in this amazing forum! My history with yarn runs about 27 years long. I taught myself how to crochet when I was 10. I've been a crocheter on and off ever since, but the last 8 years or so I really became passionate about what I did and found myself at a dead end. I asked myself "how many more afghans, beenies, scarves etc. could I make"? I was getting bored, real bored with basically the same crochet patterns out there and the same old yarn at my LYS. I decided to take the plunge two times in one shot! I decided I wasn't going to limit myself with the yarns the LYS had which happens to be far and few between and decided I was going to spin my own yarn along with teaching myself how to knit! It's been about 1 1/2 years since I took the plunge and I've completely fallen in love with knitting and spinning and haven't looked back. I still have lots to learn with both crafts, but I think I'm not doing to bad for a rookie! I'm completely addicted and that's where the riding comes in. I also ride a motorcycle, sometimes as a passenger with my DH and sometimes on my own! DH and I each have a cruiser bike and a speed/street bike. Since my addiction, I've kinda made our motorcycle rides or trips coincide with my hunt for new yarn/fiber shops. My addiction has taken our bikes to San Diego, Santa Barbara, Arizona and in just a few weeks into Santa Barbara again and right into Solvang. You can say riding is my other passion. I have yet to figure out how to knit when I'm a passenger! I'm sure as crazy as I am, I will conquer! SO, anyway you can always find me knitting or spinning almost every waking moment of the day. I'm fortunate to be able to knit or do some type of fibery goodness while I'm working. If I'm not doing that, you can find me racing around the twisty roads of So. Cali either on my purple and pearl white cruiser (usually locally in town with this bike) or on my flaming red street bike for the yarn/fiber hunts! (get's me there faster) I'm located in San Bernardino County for anyone out there that is interested in getting together to knit. I boarder L.A., Riverside, and O.C. so no one is to far from me to share the passion of knitting. Knitting, Spinning and Riding.....yes quite a combination, but I promise I don't bite.[:00] Well thank you everyone for letting me share my fibery passions and I hope to make and meet lots of new friends in this wonderful forum!

Nola

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  10:44:19 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
Nola Welcome from Arkansas. You are very busy and also happen to be the same age as me. I have been thinking about learning to spin and dye my own yarns myself.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

SpinKnitRide
New Pal

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  1:09:24 PM  Show Profile Send SpinKnitRide a Private Message
Hi Wanda,

Thank you for the warm welcome! If you're interested in learning how to spin, just let me know. I've met some nice friends along the way since I started knitting and spinning. It's fun to create your own yarns and watch them go from fleece to yarn. The dyeing part is that much more fun!

Nola
Go to Top of Page

YarnGoddess
Permanent Resident

USA
2460 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  2:04:16 PM  Show Profile Send YarnGoddess a Private Message
Hi Nola

I grew up in Huntington Beach but have only the vaguest memories of Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm and the beach. Been living here in the sunny south since 1968 and wouldn't dream of living anywhere else. I'll be back out that way next April for the Seasocks cruise. Ya oughta come join us!

Elizabeth
Zipper & Diva

A sense of humor can help you tolerate the unpleasant, cope with the unexpected, overlook the unattractive and smile through the unbearable.

To learn more about healthy nutrition for your cat, go here: http://www.catnutrition.org and here: http://www.catinfo.org/
Go to Top of Page

cadavidson
Chatty Knitter

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  4:24:02 PM  Show Profile Send cadavidson a Private Message
Welcome! As you can see I'm a newbie too - I've been knitting off and on for 40 some years.
I love Santa Barbara - I only went to one knitting store when I was there. Unfortunately no one likes to go to knitting stores when we are on vacation - or my husband paces up and down the sidewalk, which then makes me feel rushed. Who wants to be rushed at a knitting store?
By the way what is a DH? I think the last word is husband, but there could be lots of words that start with "D" you could put before husband!
Welcome to the site - Happy knitting, Happy spinning and Happy riding! I guess I should say Happy Trails!

Claudia
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  5:45:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
Hi Nola, and welcome! I'm a SoCal spinner/knitter too, although my bike hasn't been used in (mumble) years. I'm sure you'll find lots of kindred spirits here at the forum.

Claudia, regarding DH--yes, the H is husband. The D, as you pointed out, can stand for lots of things; that's the joke & the purpose. If you're pleased with hubby,the "D" can be Dearest or Darling. If you're mad, it could be Darned; if he doesn't understand your need for 67 skeins of Koigu, well he's obviously Deranged!

--Susan T-O in Long Beach CA

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the
most discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny.'" --Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

gdelrosa
Seriously Hooked

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  5:50:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit gdelrosa's Homepage  Send gdelrosa a Yahoo! Message Send gdelrosa a Private Message
Hi Nola!

I'm from So. Cal too. San Diego. I'm in school in Michigan right now and i can't wait to get back to California. There's no place like home!

I changed my blog name: www.gailknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

SR5Rfan
Permanent Resident

USA
1232 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  8:53:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit SR5Rfan's Homepage Send SR5Rfan a Private Message
Hi Nola - another SoCal knitter here. I'm at the border of LA and SB counties ... Haven't been knitting much lately, but I keep telling myself that those UFOs will never become FOs if I don't work on 'em! Let us know if you conquer the riding & knitting combo!

Beth
"I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like."
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3290 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  9:24:53 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi Nola,

Welcome to Knitters Review Forums and so glad you could join our knitting/crocheting/spinning community.

Wow what a cool life you lead and a busy one.

Hope you have fun and make many new friens here.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

DaisyinNM
Chatty Knitter

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  09:39:11 AM  Show Profile Send DaisyinNM a Private Message
Hi Nola and welcome! I am living, for right now, in SB county (Loma Linda) but am from Albuquerque. We have been here about three months while my husband was in the hospital. I have found a wonderful LYS in Redlands and went to Mecca (the Knit Cafe) on Monday. What a thrill. Everyone is so friendly at these knitting stores that I feel right at home. You are lucky to be here where there are so many wonderful LYSs.
Margarita
Go to Top of Page

SpinKnitRide
New Pal

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  11:12:21 AM  Show Profile Send SpinKnitRide a Private Message
Hi Elizabeth!

O.K., you've got me excited and curious. What exactly is the Seasocks cruise? You've gotta fill me in! I've been craving to be in the presence of other knitters just to absorb, learn and admire everything that I can in the world of knitting. Do tell! I'll be patiently waiting and thank you for the welcome!

Nola
Go to Top of Page

SpinKnitRide
New Pal

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  11:30:46 AM  Show Profile Send SpinKnitRide a Private Message
Hi Claudia,

Newbie to this forum you are, but to knitting you're not! 40 years....wheeew. I can only wish that I started that long ago. I can't believe on how much I've been missing. I really don't know why it took me so long to convert from a crocheter to a knitter. I guess better late then never right?!

Anyway about the DH, Susan pretty much explained it's meaning in a nutshell! (thanks Susan)

As far as going to knitting/fiber stores with my husband. Well, he's just the greatest. He actually questions me when at times I walk out empty handed or with a bag that looks almost empty. He figures if we're gonna travel all this way for me to "fondle" some yarn and fiber, I should at least make it worth my trip. Sometimes you just don't find what you're looking for on these yarn/fiber hunts. Siiiigh. Or I just can't get myself to spend some of these outrageous prices for yarn when I can get it over the internet for way cheaper and have it delivered to my front door let alone spin it myself. Oh well, can't have everything come to easy, or can you I'll just save that for another topic.[:00]

Anyway, a warm welcome to you as well!

Nola
Go to Top of Page

SpinKnitRide
New Pal

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  11:39:01 AM  Show Profile Send SpinKnitRide a Private Message
Hi Susan!

Long Beach is just down the street, well maybe not. We're gonna have to get you on that bike missy! I'm jealous that you have so many LYS out your way. You'll have to tell me what your favs' are so I can take a ride to check them out and maybe meet up. Unfortunately I've only been able to read about the ones in the Beach cities. Just haven't found the time to make a day of it.

Again thank you for the warm welcome!

Nola
Go to Top of Page

SpinKnitRide
New Pal

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  11:50:12 AM  Show Profile Send SpinKnitRide a Private Message
Hi Gail!

You need to come back home soon! I was in San Diego this past March attending a Michael Buble' concert at Copley Symphony Hall. I know, I know, half the country doesn't know who he is, but I do! Anyway, the weather in San Diego was just gorgeous. I love it down there. I'm hoping to find a quaint home to purchase there in the near future for weekend getaways. It's just to hard to resist.

By the way DH and I are actually heading down to Escondido in about 3 weeks to go golfing. You think you can manage to manuever me into a few yarn shops out there? Let me know!

Nola
Go to Top of Page

SpinKnitRide
New Pal

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  11:58:06 AM  Show Profile Send SpinKnitRide a Private Message
Hey there Beth!

Where exactly are you? You're sounding real close to me. I moved out this way 6 years ago from L.A. county. I'm pretty much borderline LA/SB county myself. I'm about 15 mins or so from Montclair. Maybe I can motivate you to turn those UFO's to FO's if we can get a SNB night together!

Nola
Go to Top of Page

SpinKnitRide
New Pal

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  12:10:03 PM  Show Profile Send SpinKnitRide a Private Message
Hello Rose!

Greetings from the "Land above" to the "Land down under"! Thank you for your warm welcome! Yes my life is somewhat busy, I think only because I work swingshift and a 3/12 work schedule. With all the days off I have during the week though, I feel no need to waste them on doing nothing! Life is to short....Spin, Knit, Ride, be merry...even when you're tired! If that doesn't happen for me, then knitting while watching my favorite baseball team play is just as good! I have no complaints, I love my life! I'm sure I will meet many new friends in this forum as I have already with those of you that were first to welcome me.

My extension of thanks to you as well Rose!

Nola
Go to Top of Page

SpinKnitRide
New Pal

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  12:15:47 PM  Show Profile Send SpinKnitRide a Private Message
Hi Margarita!

Let me guess. You went to the "Enchanted Unicorn" in Redlands? If you have, then you are already one up on me. I have yet to go! Also the "Knit Cafe" I have yet to frequent there with my knitting buddy. We talk about it all the time. What a bunch of slackers we are! I'm sorry to hear about your husband, but I hope your stay here will have better memories. You're very close to me, about 20 mins. Maybe we can meet before you make your way back to NM. Let me know what you think.

Warm wishes and best regards to you and yours.

Nola
Go to Top of Page

YarnGoddess
Permanent Resident

USA
2460 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  2:10:14 PM  Show Profile Send YarnGoddess a Private Message
Nola

Here's the thread about the cruise, along with the link to the cruise site. I'm already signed up, along with several others.

http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=59624

Elizabeth
Zipper & Diva

A sense of humor can help you tolerate the unpleasant, cope with the unexpected, overlook the unattractive and smile through the unbearable.

To learn more about healthy nutrition for your cat, go here: http://www.catnutrition.org and here: http://www.catinfo.org/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.7 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe