Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Forum Feedback and Suggestion Box
 What about a topic about kids knitting?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WGWC

Posted - 06/04/2003 :  1:36:03 PM  Show Profile Send WGWC a Private Message
I think I would be interested in kids knitting as a mother of two. Let me explain why. This is my post in another area.
NOw this is one strange question (but at the same time it is a funny story). I am a mommy to twin daughters who will be 3 by the end on June. I am also a new knitter who has just fallen in love with this craft. I go nowhere without something to knit. I have finished several scarves and my first tank top ( see my pride ) and am in the process of making tank tops for my girls. SO you have a picture of how often my girls see me knitting in one day. Several times I have sat down to knit when one or both kids have decided to sit in my lap and I have been told to show them how to knit. I then stretch my arms as far as I can go in front of me and around them and then talk through what I am doing as I knit ( put the needle through, wrap the yarn around, pull the stitch through and pull the other stitch off). So you have that picture in their minds. I have also more times than I can count caught them in my knitting supplys "looking for their favorite yarn." Many times I have walked into the room and seen them with huge needles and an even bigger tangle of yarn they are "knitting" much like you mix pasta. It is so cute to watch and so I gave them their own yarn and they "borrow" mommy's needles when they need to "work on their sweater". I have photos and so I need to post them some time.
Now for the question. THey are showing a HUGE interest in this and I want to encourage this without frustrating them or pressuring them. I thought about getting them a knitting knobby so that they may learn the basics and actually make something other than a mess (which is quite fun). So...what do you all think!? What is the youngest kid you have ever seen using one of these or even knitting!? Are my girls too young to try without frustration? I do not expect perfection at all...I just want them to have fun and start understanding the basic concepts. What do you think?!

WGWC

I just think that it would help those of us with kids who want to encourage our little ones to knit as well as for any tweens and teens who might want help or have cool ideas as well!!

WGWC
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe