Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Ideal Knitting Bag
 ideas for making a bag?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shop girl
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  5:45:31 PM  Show Profile Send shop girl a Private Message
anyone out there sew? or get crafty enough with the felting/knit&crochet bags to make a knit bag? do you have any suggestions for a home-made bag? I like the idea of something I make rather than buy... but if I can't find any decent ideas, I may have to save those pennies.

any ideas are much welcome (patterns, ideas, what ever!)

cheers and happy knitting!

MAYA

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  6:02:00 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
http://www.henriettashandbags.com/Craft_Ideas.html

http://www.make-it-easy.com/opentot2.html

http://www.supereggplant.com/archives/000216.html

Trish
Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  08:07:26 AM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message
I made a slipcover for a chair and used the excess fabric for a bag. I just took a big rectangle of fabric, sewed the zipper in first (this makes the whole business a LOT easier), then turned it inside out and sewed up the sides and added handles. One of these days I'll probably add a pocket or two, but for now it's fine. The only trouble is that it gets lost in the sofa, because there are matching pillows there, too.
If you don't have extra fabric taking up space in a closet, upholstery remnants are beautiful and sturdy.

I have a couple of felted bags as well. The Constant Companion can swallow a really big project but it is heavy. The Kristina bag is great for a sock project but sewing the zipper in was a real pain. I don't like other kind of closures for project bags because things fall out.
Go to Top of Page

craftybernie
Gabber Extraordinaire

United Kingdom
398 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  09:12:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit craftybernie's Homepage Send craftybernie a Private Message
There's a knitting bag on the Berroco website to knit and felt: here's the link - http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/knitting_tote/knitting_tote.html.

www.craftybernie.blogspot.com (my knitting blog)
www.fairystuff.blogspot.com (my handmade flower fairies)
www.beadingbernie.blogspot.com (my beaded stuff)
Go to Top of Page

mtdortiz@hotmail.com
New Pal

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  8:04:15 PM  Show Profile Send mtdortiz@hotmail.com a Private Message
If you sew, there are some cute bag patterns out there. I like Amy Butler patterns and Indygo Junction patterns. I have also made some durable totes out of petscreen from patterns by Nancy Ota. Those have turned out very well and are indestructible.
Maria
Go to Top of Page

Carob
New Pal

46 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  07:32:49 AM  Show Profile Send Carob a Private Message
Maya, I recently made myself Thelma's Knitting Bag, and really like it. It is very versatile. I added extra pockets inside. What I like most about it is that you can use it for a small WIP and then expand it for a larger one. I found the instructions a little confusing, but if you follow them to the letter it works.

www.vintagevogue.com/onlinestore/item6480.htm

Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

craftybernie
Gabber Extraordinaire

United Kingdom
398 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  6:32:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit craftybernie's Homepage Send craftybernie a Private Message
What a great bag Carob. What fabric did you use? Have you got piccies? I haven't sewn anything for ages.

"You're just jealous because the little voices are talking to me!"

www.craftybernie.blogspot.com (my knitting blog)
www.fairystuff.blogspot.com (my handmade flower fairies)
www.knit1blogtoo.blogspot.com (knitting bloggers webring)
Go to Top of Page

Carob
New Pal

46 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  05:46:52 AM  Show Profile Send Carob a Private Message
Craftybernie, I used black synthetic suede that I found on the remnant table, and lined it with black and white ticking stripe. I didn't quite have enough to put the extra pocket on the ouside though. Sorry, I don't have pics. I've even used it as a carry-on when I've been travelling. When extended it holds a huge amount. I lengthened the handles so I could carry it over my shoulder.
Go to Top of Page

sandrasingh
Seriously Hooked

USA
740 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  12:55:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit sandrasingh's Homepage Send sandrasingh a Private Message
I've always admired the felted My Constant Companion by Janet Scanlon done in La Lana Wools yarns.

http://www.lalanawools.com/PatternBk/JanetScanlon/ConstComp.html

But there a million free patterns out there as well...the Knitting Pattern Central is a great online resource for anything you ever wanted to knit!

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/bags_totes_purses.php

Sandra Singh
www.sandrasingh.com
sandrasingh@sandrasingh.com
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  6:47:17 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message
Okay, I went to that last link (constant companion bag)....it's a killer bag, granted....but the price is for a KIT???? That's a week's grocery money for a family of five!!!
Go to Top of Page

Nanaknit
Chatty Knitter

287 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  05:36:27 AM  Show Profile Send Nanaknit a Private Message
I just bought the pattern for the Indygo Junction carpetbag and am just waiting for the purse frame to arrive so I can start it. I found some vintage looking fabric at JoAnns at 30% off. The Indygo Junction patterns look very easy to follow.

Linda

"Honey, a man can't keep his gun in a cookie jar. It just isn't done!" - Janet Evanovich
Go to Top of Page

Corddrymum
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
519 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  2:23:39 PM  Show Profile Send Corddrymum a Private Message
Good grief!!! That's a lot of money for a KIT. It's even a lot of money for a bag all made! I never even spent that much on a leather purse!
Robin
Go to Top of Page

joy disaster
New Pal

9 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2006 :  12:31:36 AM  Show Profile  Send joy disaster a Yahoo! Message Send joy disaster a Private Message
If you want to knit or knit/felt a bag, it is much easier to get a purseket (www.purseket.com) or Joey Jr to slip inside and organize your stuff. I got a few of them so I can use any bag, purchased or made as a knitting bag.
Go to Top of Page

spindledreams
Warming Up

87 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  08:19:17 AM  Show Profile Send spindledreams a Private Message
you can buy just the pattern for My Constant Campanion as well as her other great bags at her site or stores that carry her patterns. Her site is http://www.knitkit.com/
Have fun looking at all the pretty bags she has.

dorothy from windy wyoming
They say that when the wind reaches 75 mph in the south they give it a name and call it a Hurricane. When it reaches 75 mph here we call it a mite windy.
Go to Top of Page

petitemorte
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  09:10:36 AM  Show Profile Send petitemorte a Private Message
I make tons of bags,knit and sewn. I think a bag can be any shape size style. You learn a little technique with each new bag.
It's actually a great way to learn to sew if you dont know how. Start with simple rectangle bags and work you way up to shaping,zippers inside/outside pockets. Dream it up and then do it. There are some amazing fabrics out there that you see and would love to do something with, so you make a purse.
I love bags like some women love shoes. I actually got rid of (literally) 13 bags/purses a few months ago. And I still have a box of them I just can't part with!

Di,the cross country knitter

http://photobucket.com/albums/f348/switchbladeknitter/
Guy walks into a shrink's office wearing nothing but seran wrap. Shrink looks at him and says "Well I can clearly see yer nuts"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe