Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Needles and Security
 Heathrow to JFK
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

leftpaw
Warming Up

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  8:11:18 PM  Show Profile Send leftpaw a Private Message
Has anyone flown from Heathrow to JFK (NYC) with knitting needles in their carry on recently? From what I can gather from earlier posts it seems to be against BAA regulations but many people carry them on anyway with no problems...

Northside Knitter
New Pal

14 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  10:40:03 PM  Show Profile Send Northside Knitter a Private Message
I flew from Heathrow to San Francisco last year on the morning after the London bombings and I had no problem taking my knitting on my British Airways flight. I had Denise needles and bamboo circular needles with projects on them. Although I anticipated problems, there were none.

Enjoy your trip to New York.

Diane
Go to Top of Page

Vanadia
Gabber Extraordinaire

Denmark
511 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  04:18:10 AM  Show Profile Send Vanadia a Private Message
I do it once or twice a year. No problems so far with wooden circulars and DPNs.
Go to Top of Page

laparente@yahoo.com
Chatty Knitter

246 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  08:13:16 AM  Show Profile Send laparente@yahoo.com a Private Message
I had needles confiscated from Gatwick to Philadelphia.

Bamboo, size 000, 40". I was knitting toe-up magic loop, two at a time socks, that I never did finish [:((]

They were worried that the join between the needle and cable was metal (crystal palace).

Take precautions! Bring a SASE.
Go to Top of Page

leftpaw
Warming Up

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  5:28:32 PM  Show Profile Send leftpaw a Private Message
Thanks everyone! I'm actually a NYer and it's London I'll be visiting, but I'm not too worried about them confiscating the knitting needles at JFK since you're allowed to fly with them on US flights. It's the other way that I was concerned about but it sounds like it's worth taking the chance.
If anyone can recommend any good yarn stores in London let me know! Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

laparente@yahoo.com
Chatty Knitter

246 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  6:43:41 PM  Show Profile Send laparente@yahoo.com a Private Message
I didn't find any fantastic yarn stores when I was there in October, but Liberty's is just about my favorite place on earth, and they sell yarn. I had tea there three days in a row. They were starting to look at me funny. I just love the building, all the woodwork and wow! All the amazingly expensive stuff. It is like a museum, but you can touch stuff. My husband and I fell in love with a table they were selling for about $32,000. USD. OK. I'll take two!

Although, they do have a bargan basement, in, well, the basement. I bought myself a set of linen bedsheets from down there. Ahhhh!
Go to Top of Page

agileflower
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
125 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  12:00:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit agileflower's Homepage Send agileflower a Private Message
a bit late on this, but if you are in London go to Loop at 41 Cross Street in Islington (near the Angel tube station). It's an independent and truly amazing knitting heaven! (I dont work for em, just love em!) You'll find stuff there you won't find at JL or Liberty.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

YarnGoddess
Permanent Resident

USA
2460 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  06:53:57 AM  Show Profile Send YarnGoddess a Private Message
Thanks for the info. I'll be going to England in November.

Elizabeth
Zipper & Diva

A sense of humor can help you tolerate the unpleasant, cope with the unexpected, overlook the unattractive and smile through the unbearable.

To learn more about healthy nutrition for your cat, go here: http://www.catnutrition.org and here: http://www.catinfo.org/
Go to Top of Page

YarnGoddess
Permanent Resident

USA
2460 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  08:01:32 AM  Show Profile Send YarnGoddess a Private Message
An article in today's London Times provides a list of what's allowed and what isn't. I didn't see knitting needles on either list. If anyone has a link to Britain's Transport Authority could you post it? TIA!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,200-2308065.html

Elizabeth
Zipper & Diva

A sense of humor can help you tolerate the unpleasant, cope with the unexpected, overlook the unattractive and smile through the unbearable.

To learn more about healthy nutrition for your cat, go here: http://www.catnutrition.org and here: http://www.catinfo.org/
Go to Top of Page

FraggleStickCar
New Pal

26 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  1:18:57 PM  Show Profile Send FraggleStickCar a Private Message
From BAA website:-

"Alert at UK Airports Media Statement
10 August 2006
Alert at UK Airports

Following this morning's police operation, the Department for Transport has asked all UK airports to apply additional security measures designed to ensure passenger safety.

Hand baggage restrictions:
These measures will prevent passengers from carrying hand luggage into the cabin of an aircraft with the following excepts (which must be placed in a plastic bag):
# pocket size wallets and pocket size purses plus contents (for example money, credit cards, identity cards etc (not handbags));
# travel documents essential for the journey (for example passports and travel tickets);
# prescription medicines and medical items sufficient and essential for the flight (e.g. diabetic kit), except in liquid form unless verified as authentic.
# spectacles and sunglasses, without cases.
# contact lens holders, without bottles of solution.
# for those travelling with an infant: baby food, milk (the contents of each bottle must be tasted by the accompanying passenger) and
# sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight (nappies, wipes, creams and nappy disposal bags).female sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight, if unboxed (eg tampons, pads, towels and wipes).
# tissues (unboxed) and/or handkerchiefs
# keys (but no electrical key fobs)
# All passengers must be hand searched, and their footwear and all the items they are carrying must be x-ray screened. Any liquids discovered must be removed from the passenger.

Pushchairs and walking aids must be x-ray screened, and only airport-provided wheelchairs may pass through the screening point. In addition to the above, all passengers boarding flights to the USA and all the items they are carrying, including those acquired after the central screening point, must be subjected to secondary search at the boarding gate. Any liquids discovered must be removed from the passenger."

I think this is a VERY clear indication that, NO, you can't take knitting. Or for that matter, books, ipod, any form of distractions.

I have a request for the moderators. Can we PLEASE remove the "Yes, you can take knitting on planes" from the description of this sub forum? It hasn't been universally true for some time.
Go to Top of Page

elizh
Permanent Resident

USA
1248 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  2:20:08 PM  Show Profile Send elizh a Private Message
But, yes, you CAN take knitting on planes (today)...just not when you are departing from the UK, Australia or New Zealand.
Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  4:36:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
I thought that was the point...to post to find out if you could take your knitting on planes. Because it isn't universally true so you post and ask. I'd ask it here anyway, if I wasn't sure.

~~~~Jamye

I don't have a problem with authority, I just have a problem with people telling me what to do.
Go to Top of Page

AusTexSusan
Chatty Knitter

USA
345 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  05:52:27 AM  Show Profile Send AusTexSusan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by elizh

But, yes, you CAN take knitting on planes (today)...just not when you are departing from the UK, Australia or New Zealand.

Although it may be obvious, if you are flying from the US to the UK, all the UK restrictions apply.

See the British Airways website, http://www.britishairways.com/travel/home/public/en_us

Go to Top of Page

elizh
Permanent Resident

USA
1248 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  03:01:03 AM  Show Profile Send elizh a Private Message
The restrictions from the US to the UK were announced on August 11 AFTER I posted, which demonstrates why it is always wise to check the official govt and/or airline websites before you go.
Go to Top of Page

NaProus
Permanent Resident

1828 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  07:10:06 AM  Show Profile Send NaProus a Private Message
quote:

quote:Originally posted by elizh

Although it may be obvious, if you are flying from the US to the UK, all the UK restrictions apply.

Actually, that's only true if you're flying on a British Airline -- or this was the case yesterday, at any rate. If you're flying United or Continental or something, then only the US rules apply. Confusing? a bit.

What's a leper bandage? http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/bandages.html
http://www.ghm.org/resources/hands-on/knittedbandage.html
Go to Top of Page

AusTexSusan
Chatty Knitter

USA
345 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  08:09:14 AM  Show Profile Send AusTexSusan a Private Message
Yep, it is confusing. I only checked British Airways because we're flying that next month. Silly me to think there would be some constancy.

To make it more confusing, if you are flying any carrier (American, United, etc) to the UK, and are changing planes there (transiting, the airlines call it), UK restrictions apply, kind of.

This is from the Virgin-Atlantic airline website, which is pretty much other carriers say:

All arriving passengers with a flight connection at a UK airport must clear immigration, collect their luggage and check-in with the next airline. These passengers can transfer without landing through immigration, only if they already fully comply with the above UK hand baggage restrictions, and, if they already hold all of the correct documentation for their onward journey.

Okay, I'll stop. I'm just going to check everything and hope for the best. Do you think I'll be able to wear clothes to fly in mid-September?
Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  09:06:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
Only if they can see through them AusTexSusan! :-)

~~~~Jamye

I don't have a problem with authority, I just have a problem with people telling me what to do.
Go to Top of Page

FraggleStickCar
New Pal

26 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  6:58:43 PM  Show Profile Send FraggleStickCar a Private Message
Sorry folks - I didn't mean to sound curt, and certainly didn't mean to offend anyone before - I was mainly posting the requested info from the BAA website.

I was just mentioning that a universal statement that "you can take knitting on planes" under the subject of this sub-forum is rather misleading. Not just because of the events of the past week, but there have been many different restrictions (as our joint confusion shows!) at different times, with different airlines and different countries.

btw - if you do have to fly to or from the UK - just fly on BA or Virgin, you don't have to pay for any food or drinks ;)
Go to Top of Page

mwedzi
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  11:09:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit mwedzi's Homepage Send mwedzi a Private Message
I flew into Heathrow from Johannesburg and out of Heathrow to New York last Thursday which was the terror plot foiled day. From Heathrow I couldn't carry anything except money, credit cards, tickets, ID, and the boarding pass, not even a book.

And technically, on Virgin Atlantic airlines anyhow, knitting needles are listed as what you cannot take on the plane. I got it in a little safety booklet they handed to me as I flew them from Jo'burg to Heathrow. Funny thing is, I asked the people at check-in if I could carry them on and they said no problem, then they gave me this booklet saying I couldn't carry them on. By the time I read the booklet, though, I had already taken them with me through security with no problem. But I didn't want to try it on the Heathrow to JFK leg. Since they were making people throw away their books and pens and pretty much everything, I figured knitting needles would definitely be a no-no.

--nikki
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?