Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Natural Dyes
 Blackberries
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Celtic Memory Yarns
Warming Up

Ireland
62 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  2:37:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Celtic Memory Yarns's Homepage Send Celtic Memory Yarns a Private Message
While doing the defrosting, I discovered a pretty large bag of blackberries dating back at least three years. That's a bit long ago to be using for jam or pies at this stage, I feel (and anyway the new blackberry season is almost upon us here in Ireland), so will try some dyeing. I did try this about ten years ago but although the wool took some very pretty pink and violet shades, it faded very quickly. What is the best mordant to use with blackberries?

Jo

Jo

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2366 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  10:16:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
I have not heard of anyone having success with blackberries, even with a mordant. Blackberries are usually considered a stain rather than a dye, so I guess what that means is that the colors are never permanent.

Sorry, but maybe someone else has different information.

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Simmyb
New Pal

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2006 :  02:42:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Simmyb's Homepage Send Simmyb a Private Message
I'm currently having a go with blackberries as I have so many in the garden this year. I mordanted the wool with alum and then my book says to boil the blackberries for half an hour. Strain and simmer the wool in the mixture for an hour and then leave in the pot overnight. An iron mordant (just rusty nails in water) makes the colour bluer. However, although the colour will be nice I also don't think it will last - but still I'm giving it a go.

S. Bains
Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2006 :  05:21:25 AM  Show Profile Send knottyknitter a Private Message
I just bought "Dyer's Garden" from the Interweave hurt book sale so looked it up in there. It lists blackberries (as well as pretty much any other berry" as something not worth growing for the purposes of dying. According to the book, berris dye fades with light and says, "Over a period of months or years, even the dim light from north window will erase pinks and purples of berry dyed yarn, leaving only tans." The writer suggests that berries are best grown for eating or feeding birds.

My blog at KristiKnits.com
[img]http://www.kristiknits.com/images/KristiKnits_Logo_Green.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2006 :  1:40:09 PM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message
Funny. I once had the baby make a real stained mess with blackberries, so I got a friend to tye-dye the outfit to match. We could never tell after that, what was the berry and what wasn't. She tended to use pretty strong synthetic dyes, though.

I can go loopy, or I can knit. Your choice.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.32 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe