Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Worst Project Nightmare
 Counterpane Classic afghan...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dspen89
Chatty Knitter

330 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  2:36:37 PM  Show Profile Send Dspen89 a Private Message
It was so BEAUTIFUL...I dreamed of it on my Mom's bed....How gosh darn proud she'd be....

So I got the brand of yarn that was recommended in the pattern (although in the color she wanted -well, the NAME was right but the color sage doesn't really look like what I got, what I ended up with was an "army green" color IMO. I figured someday I'd drop in a dab of bleach when I washed it..crazy huh?) [:00] That should have been my first tip off that this wasn't going to quite go as planned...[:((]

Then I got busy as a bee to work on FORTY EIGHT 6 x 6 squares....I knitted and knitted and knitted.. and to this day have only done 16...I admit it, I got SO BORED! The beautifulness of this coverlet seemed to not be quite so wonderful anymore. [:((]

Then I realzed, someday I'll have to block and SEAM all of these squares at some point, mind you, that's IF I'd ever finish them all in my lifetime!! And then there's still the BORDER to do!

I believe I've been tricked into some kind of knitters black hole. Nothing seems to get any bigger and then there's still a TONzillion of work to do once these are even done!!

Now I think that I may make pillow covers out of them...or a table runner... this one got me, I admit I GAVE UP, but I guess a knitter has to be inventive! LOL!!

Dawn

cadavidson
Chatty Knitter

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  2:57:09 PM  Show Profile Send cadavidson a Private Message
I have one like that in progress - I have spent a gazillion dollars on all the yarn, I have spent a gazillion hours working on it and it isn't even close to being finished. What in the world was I thinking??
Well, I'm a good dreamer, so I guess I'll continue to dream about how beautiful it will be some day.

Claudia

I love what I do and I do what I love
Go to Top of Page

caroledward
Chatty Knitter

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  09:46:37 AM  Show Profile Send caroledward a Private Message
I had one like that as well. I did finally finish mine after a 12 year hiatus - and now I don't really like it anymore. Ribbit - I'd frog it and make something else.

Carole
Go to Top of Page

helaine2
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  3:49:38 PM  Show Profile Send helaine2 a Private Message
I am so glad to hear other people's kniting nightmares. I get so caught up in myself, I think I am just failing failing failing. It really helps to hear other people go through the same junk. Thanks so much for talking about this.
Susan
Go to Top of Page

helaine2
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  3:50:29 PM  Show Profile Send helaine2 a Private Message
I am so glad to hear other people's kniting nightmares. I get so caught up in myself, I think I am just failing failing failing. It really helps to hear other people go through the same junk. Thanks so much for talking about this. By the way, what is "frog"?
Susan
Go to Top of Page

Dspen89
Chatty Knitter

330 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  5:28:37 PM  Show Profile Send Dspen89 a Private Message
I know, when I think of how much $$$ this yarn cost me (yikes!), I get a VERY guilty feeling about it being stashed in my closet!

Someday I may finish it. For now I stick with my Scarlett O'Hara attitude in that "I can't think about it today, I'll think about it tomorrow". I've been doing a really good job ignoring it, (since it's hidden) but this forum topic really brought back the frustration. I hope it won't be 12 years, but it's going to be a LONNNNGG time no matter what! LOL!

Hang in there Susan! You're not failing, you're just redirecting your creative energy!

Dawn

Go to Top of Page

Chemcats
Permanent Resident

3337 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  03:18:55 AM  Show Profile Send Chemcats a Private Message
Oh boy...this sounds so familiar. I wanted to crochet a special afghan for the master bedroom. I asked DH for his pick out of 3 patterns. It was lovely. Small rectangular sections vines of flower buds in verigated purple, lavenders..green leaves and white borders. Squares (4 x 4) of white border, green leaves and a raised 6 petal flower in a periwinkle. I also wanted it to be a blanket size for the bed...and DH was all for it.

Stitched all the sections, stitched them all together, stitched the lacy edge..washed it and put it on the bed. He doesn't like it...it is to heavy. I am so PO'd and I haven't done another afghan since...

I feel your pain! Because I was loosing my mind as you must be feeling.

Meribeth
Go to Top of Page

cadavidson
Chatty Knitter

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  2:58:50 PM  Show Profile Send cadavidson a Private Message
Susan
I had to ask the very same question!
Frog means rip it/rip it/rip it.....[**]

Claudia

I love what I do and I do what I love
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  7:15:06 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message
Sympathy from here too.

I've got a project buried deep in my closet like that. My grandmother had one of those square potlholder looms and made several bags full of yarn squares. I inherited them and decided to make an afghan by crocheting a border around each square and then sewing them together. It's now about 1/3 done and hasn't been touched in a decade. Some things even sentiment can't won't help.

Anne

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

rather be knitting
Seriously Hooked

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  7:59:22 PM  Show Profile Send rather be knitting a Private Message
I once started an afghan in my early 20s. Finished it in my mid-30s. Still have it (25+ years later). It's a little felted from some careless washing (and assuming that my mother would never give me an afghan kit with anything but washable yarn). It's still lovely -- cables and bobbles -- all stuff i'd never bother with now. And the felting only makes it warmer.

An idea -- use the finished squares for the beginning of a Mason Dixon Moderne blanket?

Happy knitting -- claire
Go to Top of Page

Dspen89
Chatty Knitter

330 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  2:38:06 PM  Show Profile Send Dspen89 a Private Message
I was kind of embarrassed after posting this because later I started gathering pics of my FO's to add to my sig line.

I had "CROCHETED" afghans that were squares put together a few years ago (and suddenly when I saw the pics ALL the frustration came flooding back - I have such a bad memory anymore!)

The Counterpane knitted afghan was much more involved though. There aren't "airy" spaces in each square like with the granny square ones I did before. It's stockinette w/ a leaf pattern, it's just so much work! (Imagine the whine in my voice?)

The white Rosebud one was the first that I did for an Aunt of mine and it was actually enjoyable. The black/pink/green one I did was the beginning of the end I think as far as "why am I doing squares?" goes. It really tested my nerves and level of dedication.

I should've learned my lesson....

I think mine will be around for many years also. I hate to give up on something, someday it'll seem like a good idea again! LOL!

Thanks for all your stories too! I'm so glad I'm not alone!
PS. I bought Mom a plush soft SAGE blanket and sent that to her instead last Christmas!

Dawn

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dawnzknits/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.