Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Seeking Patterns / Free Pattern Links
 Sock Patterns
 Socks without heel flap
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cam
New Pal

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  10:09:50 AM  Show Profile Send Cam a Private Message
I want a basic sock without a heel flap. Because I wear my socks with clogs, there is no need to make a thick, durable heel. I thought I found one in Cat Bordhi's book, "Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles," on page 12, but she says that the picture is wrong--the sock pattern had been rewritten since the photo to include a more durable heel. The heel flap is where I have the most trouble with dropping stitches. It gets so tight! The pattern I have uses slip one, knit one on row one, then slip one, purl one, on row two. It causes a "double" fabric of very tight stitches.

Any suggestions for a basic pattern without a heel flap?

Thanks,
Cam

pieheart
Permanent Resident

1872 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  10:37:33 AM  Show Profile Send pieheart a Private Message
The only options I know of are:

knit a tube sock, no heel at all
do a short row heel
knit the sock toe up

I'm a little confused as to why your heel flap is tight. The traditional flap is like this:

row 1 *sl 1 k1* repeat between * to end of row
row 2 sl1, purl the rest of the row (you only slip the first stitch)

Repeat these two rows for as long as desired.

If you are slipping every other stitch on row 2 it will get tight because the way you describe it you keep slipping the same stitches every row. That won't work!

If you want a really padded heel you can slk1 (repeat to end of row) for row 1, then p1sl1 (repeat to end of row) for row 2. That way each stitch is worked every other row.

Personally I wouldn't do the above, but you could if you wanted to.

hope this helps,
pieheart

Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday----Dale Carnegie
blog: http://museknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Cam
New Pal

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  11:24:07 AM  Show Profile Send Cam a Private Message
Thanks for the suggestions. I have only knit one sock, and I am on the second. I dread getting to the heel flap again. A tube sock has a lot of appeal.

In the pattern I am using, I have an even number of stitches (30) at the heel flap. By doing a Slip 1, knit 1, when I turn the work, I am slipping the ones that I knit before. Therefore, every stitch is either getting slipped in one row, then purled (or knitted) on the next row. It creates a sort of double knit fabric.

I will try the traditional approach you mentioned, which is to slip the first stitch on the purl side, then purl across. Do I slip the last stitch, too? Or knit it?

I will do some searching for patterns that use a short row heel. The short row heel in my pattern creates a sort of puffy, mushroomy look at the end of the heel flap. I am not sure what kind of heel it is. I know there are different ones. I had to plug into a formula to get the number of stitches needed to create the short rows.

Cam

Go to Top of Page

pieheart
Permanent Resident

1872 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  12:55:05 PM  Show Profile Send pieheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cam

Do I slip the last stitch, too? Or knit it?

You knit or purl the last stitch, depending on which side you are on. Because you will slip it on the next row (that way the first stitch of each side of the flap will get slipped every other row). This makes a nice edge for when you pick up gusset stitches.

You might also find this helpful: http://www.inknitters.com/Issue1/lucy.pdf#search='garter%20heel'

It has some good photos and info for a short row heel.

pieheart

Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday----Dale Carnegie
blog: http://museknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Cam
New Pal

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  2:08:20 PM  Show Profile Send Cam a Private Message
Thank you so much! That link you sent me looks perfect. My printer is humming.

I am going to Germany next week, and I plan to load up on cool self-striping yarns and some Addi-turbos. I wanted to take a "simple" pattern with me, so I could begin right away. I was afraid that I would find a pattern in Germany that was just right, but that I wouldn't be able to read!

Cam
Go to Top of Page

of troy
Permanent Resident

USA
2474 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  2:14:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit of troy's Homepage Send of troy a Private Message
there are some patterns out there (some free, most $) for fancy heel flaps.

if you normal wear your socks with clogs, why not workd lace or intarsia on the heel flap instead of the durable but boring heel stitch?

i have a german langauge pattern for socks that are plain down the front, but have a center back cable (that extends into heel flap) with shaping either side of the cable.(me i don't read german, but i know how to knit socks, and i can read numbers (and guess which are 'cast on" and which are for cable design)

don't like cables? me neither--but why not a lace motif down the center back leg? (and heel flap)

See my photo albums of knitting. http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v299/oftroy/
Go to Top of Page

PuppyMomma
Chatty Knitter

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  8:26:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit PuppyMomma's Homepage Send PuppyMomma a Private Message
What about doing an afterthought heel? You knit a tube and mark with waste yarn where you want your heel to be, then you go back and add it when you are done. That way you can replace it if you need to. The heel I ususally use when doing them is done the same way you decrease for toes.

www.funkyjewtopia.com

Every day may not be a good day to die, but every day is a good day to eat pancakes.
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  06:23:29 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
Have you tried a wrap and turn heel. I like them because I don't have to pick up any gusset stitches.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4390 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  07:33:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
You can also just knit a heel flap in plain stockinette, or even garter stitch if you want it to stand out.

Jane

Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

knitgray
Warming Up

57 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  11:41:16 AM  Show Profile Send knitgray a Private Message
Is it the flap itself that you don't like or is it the gusset? I don't like knitting the gusset. I found this pattern and like the way the heel fits:
http://webpages.charter.net/NanKnits/bandsock.htm

I found the pattern from this website has all sorts of links for knitting socks:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8mnnp/toesheels.html

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?