Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 The Curse of the Love Sweater?
 What about after?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dances with Needles
Chatty Knitter

197 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  10:28:43 PM  Show Profile Send Dances with Needles a Private Message
So you have done or are in the process of knitting for the significant other when the relationship comes apart at the seams, what do you do about the now irrelevant object, or the compleated one? do you finish it? ask for it back? light a fire and barbeque it?
The only thing I have had lately that became irrelevant was a sock I was knitting for my DH who no longer has a foot to wear it on. What on earth do you do with a whole hulking garment that has no use for which it is intended?

DWN

Mickey
Permanent Resident

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  11:12:03 PM  Show Profile Send Mickey a Private Message
>ask for it back?
no way! [:00] a gift given does no longer belong to me

>What on earth do you do with a whole hulking garment that has no use for which it is intended?
Depends on what it is. Keep it, give it to somebody else, frog it and reuse the yarn if it's worth it, or just throw it away.
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  11:44:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
Oh good. I was afraid this would be question for knitting for a guy "after the fact" - after the relationship had already fallen apart. My answer then would have been No Way In Hell.

I'd think if you'd already given him the gift, you shouldn't ask for it back. A.)it's his now, you gave it to him for better or worse, and B.)what am I supposed to do with it? I think if you still had it or were still working on it, it would depend on the emotions behind the falling apart and what the garment was and how much it symbolized the relationship. If that makes any sense.

"Alright everyone, back to your knitting..."
- Fred or George Weasley, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  05:29:02 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
If he already has it, then don't ask for it back. If you still have it, maybe you know someone else that could use it. Depending on how bad the relationship was, I might be tempted to burn the sweater. I'm not sure I could really do it because of the time I spent making it but I would definitely be tempted.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  11:18:40 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi,

No way would I ask for it back, besides most of the boyfriends I've ever had, I've always stayed friends with and have even asked me to knit things for their significant others, usually I just teach them.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  09:41:53 AM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message
If you've already given it to him, it's his to keep. Also will constantly remind him what a good catch you were and that he blew it. Don't ask me how I know.
Dicksie

http://tourdirector.smugmug.com/gallery/529635
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.