Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Booga Bag
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

knittingbuzz
Permanent Resident

USA
1122 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  03:53:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit knittingbuzz's Homepage Send knittingbuzz a Private Message
I've knit & felted the Booga Bag following the instructions. It was a little smaller than I had hoped. If I'd like to make a larger version of this bag is it as simple as.... knitting a larger base and picking up the stitches around the base accordingly?

Krista

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't .... you are right."
-Henry Ford

FO 15
ON 5

Two Sticks and a String
Permanent Resident

USA
1453 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  04:37:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Two Sticks and a String's Homepage Send Two Sticks and a String a Private Message
yep.

Dorene
my blog: http://2sticksandastring.blogspot.com
coming soon: www.twosticksandastring.com
Go to Top of Page

Sharyn
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  05:21:36 AM  Show Profile Send Sharyn a Private Message
But, be careful about how much bigger you go. The width always shrinks less than the height when felted - so, for example if you wanted the bag 4 inches wider and 4 inches taller, you would probably need to add just 5 inches width-wise but 6 inches height-wise prefelted.

I've learned by making that mistake - ended up with something resembling a canoe because I had too much width!
Sharyn
Go to Top of Page

knittingbuzz
Permanent Resident

USA
1122 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  07:01:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit knittingbuzz's Homepage Send knittingbuzz a Private Message
Thanks Sharyn, you give excellent perspective. If I want the bottom of the bag to be both wider and deeper, would I use the same analogy as width & height?

Krista

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't .... you are right."
-Henry Ford

FO 15
ON 5
Go to Top of Page

Dances with Needles
Chatty Knitter

197 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  08:36:37 AM  Show Profile Send Dances with Needles a Private Message
If you want the math part of it, multiply your stitches by 1.25, and your rows by 1.5 to get a fairly decent aproximation of how many to cast on etc.

DWN
Go to Top of Page

suek137
Chatty Knitter

340 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  11:04:13 AM  Show Profile Send suek137 a Private Message
Krista - you might want to consider double stranding the bottom to make it a little stronger if you are planning on making the bag much larger as you are probably going to be putting heavier items in the finished product...and maybe even leather straps instead of i-cords.
Sue
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  11:39:50 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
The double stranding the bottom is an excellent suggestion.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

JustJackie
Chatty Knitter

265 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  4:53:50 PM  Show Profile Send JustJackie a Private Message
Krista, My first Booga Bag was too small also. I did as DWN suggested & it worked out great.Jackie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe