Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Provisional caston--why?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fleegle
Permanent Resident

Japan
1507 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  3:08:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit fleegle's Homepage Send fleegle a Private Message
I've been using this trick for years--ever since I got by Boye interchangeable needle set. It's even easier with the new KnitPicks needles because the cables are so nice and floppy.

I cast on around a spare cable, then put the end caps on them and just leave it while I finish the first half of the scarf or shawl. When I have to go back to "pick up and knit," I just switch the end caps with the needles on the other end of the shawl or scarf and knit down.

suek137
Chatty Knitter

340 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  3:36:55 PM  Show Profile Send suek137 a Private Message
that's brilliant Fleegle...I'm going to give that a try. thanks for the tip.
Sue
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  6:05:28 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
You can also do the same thing with another circular needle. you don't need an interchangeable needle set.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

fleegle
Permanent Resident

Japan
1507 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  9:43:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit fleegle's Homepage Send fleegle a Private Message
True, but I seem to have a hard time finding point protectors that will stay on the ends of the needles. The first time I did that with Addis, I lost one of them and some of the stitches slid off. I like the end caps because of that.
Go to Top of Page

Chemcats
Permanent Resident

3337 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  03:40:31 AM  Show Profile Send Chemcats a Private Message
fleegle! That is brilliant! I hate provisionals, and you have just saved me a lot of quarters for the Cuss Jar!

Thank You!

Meribeth
Go to Top of Page

Old Knitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
790 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  04:48:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Old Knitter's Homepage Send Old Knitter a Private Message
Oh my gosh....I'm hitting my head as I read your tip. OF course! Why wasn't that apparent????

www.knittinghaven.com
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  06:37:09 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
I like old knitter, duhhhhh why didn't I think of that.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

renee_knits
Seriously Hooked

702 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  06:37:48 AM  Show Profile Send renee_knits a Private Message
Fleegle, what kind of cast-on are you using when you do that? I generally use long-tail, and, if I understand correctly, your method means that when you go back and knit in the other direction from the cast-on you're knitting over the wrap at the bottom of the loop (i.e., the part of the cast-on that comes from the tail, which one normally would remove from a provisional cast-on)--is that right? And, if it is, are you saying it doesn't really matter?

Knitting IS real life!
Go to Top of Page

Dances with Needles
Chatty Knitter

197 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  07:24:30 AM  Show Profile Send Dances with Needles a Private Message
a rubber band wrapped around the ends works great to keep the stitches on the needle, and I have picked up from the loops at the bottom multiple times so no it does not matter. if you are setting up for the hem, which is usually the case it really does not matter, the loops become the bottom edge and are quite pretty.

DWN
Go to Top of Page

renee_knits
Seriously Hooked

702 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  08:33:47 AM  Show Profile Send renee_knits a Private Message
Thanks, DWN. I was thinking of, for example, knitting two halves of a scarf or shawl, each from the center to the end, then grafting the center...how would those little wraps affect the appearance of the graft, I wonder...maybe a little experimentation is in order!

Knitting IS real life!
Go to Top of Page

quinoak
Warming Up

66 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  12:10:32 PM  Show Profile Send quinoak a Private Message
There is a video for this on knittinghelp.com. It is listed under provisional cast-on and is on the seond part of the video after she shows how to use waste yarn. Just keep watching after the waste yarn part.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

renee_knits
Seriously Hooked

702 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  12:39:07 PM  Show Profile Send renee_knits a Private Message
Nancy, that's so helpful! Now I see that I didn't understand the technique in the first place. Thank you.

Knitting IS real life!
Go to Top of Page

fleegle
Permanent Resident

Japan
1507 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  1:29:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit fleegle's Homepage Send fleegle a Private Message
Here's a good tutorial for provisionals--just sub a needle for the temprorary yarn. http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall05/FEATfall05TT.html
Go to Top of Page

renee_knits
Seriously Hooked

702 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  1:38:12 PM  Show Profile Send renee_knits a Private Message
Thanks, Fleegle, I appreciate it.

Knitting IS real life!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.7 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.